The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2020, 05:00 PM

This:

http://jamesmayengineering.com/

(padding for too short message)

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-29-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's the direction I am most likely head as well. The Tonedexter has been a bit difficult to train in terms of getting a great wavemap but I think once I get there, with a small amount of wavemap blended in, the K&K + TD will be about as good as it gets.
Hi Petty
I have not had problems getting very good wave maps…I'm using four fairly decent mics at three locations in a fairly dampened spot (not a lot of room reflection being picked up).

Hope you get yours tamed/dialed-in.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-29-2020, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Hands down trance amulet, if I were getting another guitar ... hmmm maybe I should .... however, all of my gigging instruments have some kind of K&K and for me the solution to a more acoustic amplified sound has been the addition of a Tonedexter. Yes, it takes time and effort (and a good mic) but the payoff is tone I enjoy and one box (tonedexter) to take with me when I play ...
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Dazzos six times over. I could not wait to get the K&Ks out of a guitar I bought that came with them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-30-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Dazzos six times over. I could not wait to get the K&Ks out of a guitar I bought that came with them.
I wish I loved a pickup system as much as you love the Dazzo! Lol
Old 05-30-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Petty
I have not had problems getting very good wave maps…I'm using four fairly decent mics at three locations in a fairly dampened spot (not a lot of room reflection being picked up).

Hope you get yours tamed/dialed-in.

I think it’s a matter of hooking up to my pa when I record so I can really check if a wavemap sounds good. I was running through my studio monitors and loved my wave maps and then when I tried them through my pa, they did not sound very good!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
if money wasn't an issue, what pickup would you install in your go to main guitar? this is for gigging, live performance mainly solo. keeping that natural acoustic sound of course.

None.
I have around 8 high-end acoustics, for which I've bought only one tiny high-end clip-on condenser mic.
It takes only seconds to move it between my guitars.
No hole to drill, and no installation to pay for.

It's the Danish Professional Audio, DPA d:vote VO-4099-G.
Hand made in Denmark, it sounds exactly like the acoustic guitar.
I do mean Exactly.

It's $682, which is way cheaper than installing fine pickups in 8 guitars.
But buyer beware, the $469 price you'll see widely advertised does not include all the stuff you need for an acoustic guitar.

https://www.amazon.com/DPA-4099G-Sup.../dp/B00L9IPF66

Last edited by Tico; 05-31-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 AM

Hey Tico. That looks very interesting. Have you played it live in a duo/trio situation? If so, any feedback issues? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:07 AM

Solo, duo, and trio.

Feedback? Well, it is a mic, so it can't be as FB-resistant as a piezo under-saddle PU - but then it doesn't quack like piezos do.

Unlike being handcuffed to a mic stand, when it's clipped onto the guitar you can move freely around the stage.

It has less FB than most mics on a stand, partially since it always remains only a few inches from the soundboard.
Since sound falls off with distance this means you don't have to crank up the gain as much - which lowers FB.

Since it has a supercardioid (very highly-directional) pick up pattern it will pick up less of what's coming from the speakers to the side of you - again lowering FB.

Also I like to use a soundhole cover when I need higher volume without FB.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Solo, duo, and trio.

Feedback? Well, it is a mic, so it can't be as FB-resistant as a piezo under-saddle PU - but then it doesn't quack like piezos do.

Unlike being handcuffed to a mic stand, when it's clipped onto the guitar you can move freely around the stage.

It has less FB than most mics on a stand, partially since it always remains only a few inches from the soundboard.
Since sound falls off with distance this means you don't have to crank up the gain as much - which lowers FB.

Since it has a supercardioid (very highly-directional) pick up pattern it will pick up less of what's coming from the speakers to the side of you - again lowering FB.

Tico, do you use your DPA 4099G with a wireless system? It seems this would be the way to go, especially when playing with other band members, so the cord doesn't get stepped on and disconnected or the mic itself gets ripped off the guitar. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-31-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Solo, duo, and trio.

With the sound hole cover on, do you have to make much compensation for the sound?
Old 05-31-2020, 02:47 PM

Tico--have you had problems with keeping the DPA4099 on your guitar? Reading accounts of folks struggling with that discouraged me from pursuing it further, but I reallllly like the idea of the unit, and the clips I've listened to sound great.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Tico, do you use your DPA 4099G with a wireless system? It seems this would be the way to go, especially when playing with other band members, so the cord doesn't get stepped on and disconnected or the mic itself gets ripped off the guitar. Thanks!
No, I almost always play sitting down.

It would be nice to go wireless though.
I've read DPA makes their kevlar mini cable with all of the connectors the wireless manufacturers use so you don't have to use a big clunky XLR or adaptor.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj61 View Post
With the sound hole cover on, do you have to make much compensation for the sound?
I usually use my DPA on my Guild D-55 or Martin HD-28.
I have not noticed tone change requiring EQ on those.
Perhaps it's different for other guitars.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
Tico--have you had problems with keeping the DPA4099 on your guitar? Reading accounts of folks struggling with that discouraged me from pursuing it further, but I reallllly like the idea of the unit, and the clips I've listened to sound great.
Yes, I do use a piece of that expensive genuine gaffer tape.
DPA's clip is good about not scratching the guitar but if you move around stage the grip does leave something to be desired especially if you are not wireless.

FWIW, my main guitars are 43 and 20 years old so the nitrocellulose lacquer is well cured and I've never noticed any reaction from the good tape.
Of course, I never leave the tape on any longer than necessary.

The sound of this little mic is so good, the tape is a small price I'm happy to pay.

Last edited by Tico; 05-31-2020 at 09:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification