The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-23-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I've often thought that it's the noise gate that's built into the phones that is the culprit in getting a bad sound. My logic is based solely on the fact that I've had really bad recordings with my phone when playing acoustic, but some great recordings when playing electric, loudly.

With the acoustic in my atrium (stone floor, high ceiling, lots of windows, etc) there seems to be a lot of 'reflective' sounds that the noise gate tries to filter out. They're getting to the mic 'a little late', as it were, and are perceived as 'noise' instead of ambiance.

With the electric, on the other hand, I'm overwhelming the room with sound so the noise gate circuit hasn't got a moment to make a decision when to cut in or out, so it takes a nap.

This is all conjecture on my part, but it's based on observation.

I don't take any chances now: I bought a Shure MV-88 and the software that runs it does a great job no matter what I throw at it.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

On my OnePlus 7 Pro, there is a lot of voice processing going on (similar to what you here on a Zoom teleconference session). Like Zoom, it sounds good on speech but terrible on music. You get the same sort of underwater sound as the guitar gets muffled and pushed back. The Shure MOTIV app bypasses this and sounds a lot better on music, even if you are using the built in mic.

FiLMiC Pro lets you turn the voice processing on or off in the settings. This is a good approach because the voice processing does sound good if you are just recording talking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD