The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-09-2020, 03:21 PM

On my steel string guitars I give the string a good pull after I inserted the pin to make sure it is seated well and then I put it in the tuner and tune up. They all hold tune right away and no further "stretching" occurs. On my ukuleles on the other hand I will have to pull the strings up repeatedly for several days before they stay in tune. So synthetic strings definitely have elasticity and need to be stretched several times before they settle in, but steel strings don't need this.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:37 AM
Charter Member

When I change strings, I make sure they are seated well at the bridge and get a nice, tight wind at the pegs. I didn't find much benefit out of stretching the strings, so I stopped doing it.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

These are well-used strings that I slacked enough to remove a flimsy plastic bridge saddle and replace it with a better one (compensated B&G and stronger, better sounding material). Of course I'll put on fresh strings once I get the height trimmed down (from underneath) to where I like the action.

Here's the point...

These old strings are already as "stretched" as they can possibly be. But I still needed to pull each one firmly and tune up a few times to get them snugly settled down at the pins, the saddle, the nut, and where they go through the tuning peg shafts.

Without pulling on them, it would take several tunings to finally settle in and hold the pitch. Not something I want my listeners to endure during a gig.

Was I "stretching" them? No.

Might it look like I was as "stretching" them as I gave a few authoritative tugs on each one? Probably.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-25-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 PM

Anybody old enough to remember Eddie Van Halen's claim that he BOILED his strings before putting them on? I'll rephrase that. Anybody old enough that they actually tried it?
Old 05-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I remember hearing that. Never regarded it as something I might try. And, of course, EVH was baked more often than not.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I remember hearing that. Never regarded it as something I might try. And, of course, EVH was baked more often than not.
I think he was honest when baked. The boiling strings thing was probably a sober a moment. He enjoyed a tall tale.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Maybe they just feel like they're boiling after some of his solos?

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-25-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Hi! Some stream of consciousness:

1. I've popped a couple of Elixer acoustic "G" strings when "stretching" them. I got in touch with Elixer and they replaced them and suggested that I not stretch them.

Bob
I like Elixir Strings because they last a while on my gigging guitars, but the problem with breakage of their G strings (especially on their light sets), is not just from stretching, they are notorious for being easy to break! At the price they sell those sets for, they could at least include an extra G. All of the nuts and saddles on my guitars are well maintained, and yet I still break the occasional G. In my case it probably comes from the alternate tunings that I use, but I only do one song where I tune the G string up (to G#) and I never have the problem with any other brand of string! So I wish they could fix this, which I bet is too flimsy of a core on the G.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:11 AM

I stretch/settle the strings...just 3-4 upwards tugs along the length of the string (use basically a folded matchbook cover), for decades since discovering that otherwise, constantly retuning til they are settled. However using locking tuners, there is less settling due to less windings around the peg. I also use a very wee bit of anti-seize lube on the bone nuts (all have bone nuts) which helps make tuning a breeze using a Peterson strobe hd, very easy to quickly dial in a rock solid strobe.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:15 PM

I've never stretched my strings when i've restrung any of my guitars... I just don't see the need to, all your doing is risking snapping a brand new string and then if that happens your entire new set of are botched....

When you've wound the new strings on just tune them to pitch and let the guitar sit for a few hours to allow the strings to gain their tension "memory". As in, the strings adjust to the tension they need to be at. After a solid couple of days they're fine by then.

So many people have broken brand new strings or put kinks in them that they can't get rid of. You're just putting yourself at risk of ruining brand new strings basically.....
Old 05-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Playing a fresh string replaced during a gig doesn't provide much allowance for letting the guitar sit and wait. A few good tugs (which might seem like a "stretch" but really is not) will get things settled in quickly, allowing the guitar to be played in tune right away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars