The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-12-2020, 05:23 AM

Default Gramophone Needles

Was watching a repair shop show that rebuilt an old gramophone. Did a search and found that needles should be replaced after each record play. I was kind of shocked at that. The records are only a couple of minutes long if that. My question is this: was there a time when maybe diamond needles came into play and could be used over and over again? Or was the gramophone history by that point?
Old 02-12-2020, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

The old steel needles were often used repeatedly and, yes, after a while the y blunted and tore though the records.

That was pre-electric gramophones/phonographs whatever.
Then from at latest the '60s we had electric record decks with magnetic cartridges with a diamond or whatever "stylus"
You had one for 33 & 45 and another for 78s (i.e. old 12" records).
This is all from old memory and dates /details migt be a little wrong.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Was watching a repair shop show that rebuilt an old gramophone. Did a search and found that needles should be replaced after each record play. I was kind of shocked at that. The records are only a couple of minutes long if that.
You mean the really old ones, with maybe one of those trumpet style speakers?

Yeah, you're supposed to change the needle every few plays. People bought the needles in packs of 100, you can still find those at flea markets etc.

Hey, in fact you can still buy new ones! (NFI):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362889315983

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:36 AM

My parents were in the antique business for over 30 years and a lot of cylinder and disk machines came through. Many of them had packages of bamboo needles that were kinder to the media. I learned later that it's cheap and easy to simply cut your own from bamboo skewers after you whittle the end to a point.

That steel needle is coming nowhere near my Jimmy Shands...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN