The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
One thing I can add is that these amps sound awesome through a nice set of headphones.
Also good to know. I have AKG K40, and some 5- driver in ears.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I have been waiting for a couple months for one of these to come into stock somewhere. I got an e-mail from Sweetwater about 10 days ago that they had some, and by the time I was able to check on it, they were gone. When I visited with them today, I was told it may be June before they are in stock again. (sigh)

My music equipment enabling wife said, "I have one in my Amazon cart right now - says there are 2 in stock. Should I click 'Order'?"

Sure. It shows "delayed shipping" which makes me wonder if it is, indeed, in stock, since their delivery date is about 3 weeks out. She clicked; it now shows one in stock.

My lovely wife also believes it is important to accessorize: in researching this, she found two different Yamaha bags for it, with a $20 price difference. The more expensive of the two looks classier (this is the description I am hearing). I told her I didn't expect to be taking this "desktop amp" out of the house. Pretty sure a bag has been ordered.

My music partner has the THR20ii - I've played through it a couple times and does a great job. I guess what I liked most about this 30 is the lines out, as well as not needing the app for the cabinet changes.

And, a question for those who have one: does it cut out the speakers when you plug in headphones? Thanks!

So, back to waiting.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Yes it cuts the internal speakers when the headphones are plugged in. I haven't seen if there is an option to change that.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have been waiting for a couple months for one of these to come into stock somewhere. I got an e-mail from Sweetwater about 10 days ago that they had some, and by the time I was able to check on it, they were gone. When I visited with them today, I was told it may be June before they are in stock again. (sigh)

My music equipment enabling wife said, "I have one in my Amazon cart right now - says there are 2 in stock. Should I click 'Order'?"

Sure. It shows "delayed shipping" which makes me wonder if it is, indeed, in stock, since their delivery date is about 3 weeks out. She clicked; it now shows one in stock.

My lovely wife also believes it is important to accessorize: in researching this, she found two different Yamaha bags for it, with a $20 price difference. The more expensive of the two looks classier (this is the description I am hearing). I told her I didn't expect to be taking this "desktop amp" out of the house. Pretty sure a bag has been ordered.

My music partner has the THR20ii - I've played through it a couple times and does a great job. I guess what I liked most about this 30 is the lines out, as well as not needing the app for the cabinet changes.

And, a question for those who have one: does it cut out the speakers when you plug in headphones? Thanks!

So, back to waiting.
For all the models you do need the app for CABINET changes. If you meant model changes, then only one model has physical switches.

But, for some default presets I think other cabinets do sound better. So, in my opinion anyway, you're going to need to use the app at some point with any model. However, connecting to the amp with the app is a breeze and is not cumbersome at all. And, you can save as many presets as you want in the app too.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-22-2020, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the answers, Aspiring and Rob. I actually prefer an amp that cuts the speakers out when a headphone is plugged in. I appreciate the clarification regarding the cabinets/modes. No issue with using an app, especially if you can save settings into a user memory (and I see it has 5 slots for that). Good to hear that the app is straight-forward... there was quite a learning curve for the app to run the 12 channel Behringer mixer I have.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Rob that the app definitely brings the best out of it and is easy to use.

For example changing the parameters / type of the reverb which make a huge difference on the output.

For fun today I just played around with driving the 30ii from my axe fx III via the aux in cable.

That makes for an awesome practice amp combo.

However there are lots of good options within the Yamahas models as well.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks for the answers, Aspiring and Rob. I actually prefer an amp that cuts the speakers out when a headphone is plugged in. I appreciate the clarification regarding the cabinets/modes. No issue with using an app, especially if you can save settings into a user memory (and I see it has 5 slots for that). Good to hear that the app is straight-forward... there was quite a learning curve for the app to run the 12 channel Behringer mixer I have.
Yes, you can save 5 presets to physical buttons which is nice, but I was pointing out that you can save as many as you want in the app which is even better.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-23-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Anyone tried the THR10ii vs the THR30ii? I mean, it's $50 difference on a $600 amp/wireless transmitter combo, so I don't know how much it matters, but curious if anyone has tried the 10ii. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2020, 12:11 PM

Default New Amp - Yamaha THR 30ii (short impressions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Anyone tried the THR10ii vs the THR30ii? I mean, it's $50 difference on a $600 amp/wireless transmitter combo, so I don't know how much it matters, but curious if anyone has tried the 10ii. Thanks!

You also need to remember that they are both only 15 watts (7.5watts per stereo side) when running on battery power (which is the main way most of us will be using it), so in a practical sense, there is even less difference.

I chose the THR30ii mainly for the stereo line outs.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I have both in my possession at the moment. I haven't run them head to head yet as I am waiting for the 39s speakers to break in. The 30 does have slightly larger speakers as well. With a non side by side comparison it does seem to have slightly fuller sound. Through headphones out the headphone jack they seem identical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
One thing I can add is that these amps sound awesome through a nice set of headphones.
That's a big plus right there.!!
Old 04-23-2020, 07:53 PM

My Line6 G10T wireless transmitter came today. Totally wireless amplification! I love it!
Old 04-23-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
My Line6 G10T wireless transmitter came today. Totally wireless amplification! I love it!
Wow. Grab the guitar. Grab the amp. Go. Wow. I want....
Old 04-24-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

My g10t showed up today as well. However things are not going smoothly. I assume all you are supposed to do is plug it into the input socket and then it should show charging status and you pull it out plug it into the guitar and it auto turns on?

I put my g10t into the thr30 input it blinks red a few times quickly then blinks red slowly then goes off.

Nothing happens when plugged into the guitar. I'd call their support but it is closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-24-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 PM

Mine didn't work until I let it sit on the charger awhile. After that it's been fine. What's strange though is that it charged so quickly that it must have had some charge. You'd think it would have worked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars