The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2020, 07:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fishman Aura F1 tweaks????

I just bought a recent Martin 000-18e Retro from a forum member and while I really like the guitar unplugged, try as I may - and following the instructions - I just can't seem to get an acceptable sound from the Fishman Aura F1. I should say from the get-go that I am NOT a fan of Fishman products of any kind (to my ear they all sound tinny and artificial, both the pick-ups and the amps) but I thought that <maybe> with this one being supposedly highly adjustable I could dial in something I'd like. No such luck thus far.

I did go to the setting for the "image" part of the equation and toned down the treble quite a bit and that helped with the raspy, nasally sound that was present when I did a reset to factory specs, as per the instructions. But in doing so that also damped both the mids and the bass, which were OK to me ear before the tweak. The pure pick-up sound without blending? Ugh, just awful. FWIW, I am running the guitar through a couple of high end ACUS amps, tried both with or without my Red Eye pre-amp, so I know the issue is not with the amp.

At this point I'm about ready to have my guitar tech yank the thing and install yet another K&K, which have sounded great, very natural and capable of bringing out the real sound of my guitars in the 15 or so guitars I've had them in. This would leave the non-operating control knobs on the top of the guitar of course but there would be nothing I could do about that. I'm not sure how a K&K input would be installed with the Fishman input and battery assembly in place but my guy is truly a magician so I would leave it up to him.....

I know there are plenty of people here who are big fans of Fishman and my hope is that someone can offer some insight into getting a natural sound from a Fishman pick-up, this one specifically if possible. I realize that a Tonedexter or an equalizer are other options but I'd rather not add yet another piece of gear to carry and worry about to my gigs. And of course, using a good mic is the best option for a natural sound but that can lead to feedback issues as I play many different size venues.

Thanks in advance!

Gene
Old 05-25-2020, 02:00 PM

I had 4 nice Martins, all fitted with KK passive pickups. I purchased a fifth, a OMPA1C with Martins latest Fishman Aura system, assuming it would be Martins best. I was very curious to see what I had been missing. Try as I might to get better or equal sound, I gave up. Too “synthetically” (thin and annoying)??
- I had my luthier rip it out and install another KK. Much happier.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
I had 4 nice Martins, all fitted with KK passive pickups. I purchased a fifth, a OMPA1C with Martins latest Fishman Aura system, assuming it would be Martins best. I was very curious to see what I had been missing. Try as I might to get better or equal sound, I gave up. Too “synthetically” (thin and annoying)??
- I had my luthier rip it out and install another KK. Much happier.
Was that system the new Aura VT Enhance by any chance?
Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 PM

I do not think so. It was whatever the latest ver. was about 3 years ago. F1 rings a bell. The luthier pulled it out (I still have it in a shoebox) and made the holes pretty.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 AM

pm to AaroUSA... He knows how to tweak the AURA F1

What are your current settings? (EQ for Image and pickup, Blend, compressor... see picture)

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 05-26-2020 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:55 AM

Default Resolution?

Did you ever find good settings for the Aura? I also have a 000-18E Retro. I have been struggling for a year to get it to sound right through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. It sounds harsh, shrill, metallic. Not warm at all. Any insights would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Was that system the new Aura VT Enhance by any chance?

The Aura F1 is the system that's set in the side of the guitar, same general area as a barn door but just three insets--a display and two controls. The Aura VT Enhance has soundhole controls. It's in my Martin GPC-28E and I love it. Opinions vary no doubt.

There was a conversation around here some time ago where a couple forum members highly praised the Aura F1, with some wondering why Fishman discontinued it. A likely answer seemed to be it was complex to tweak. Look at Cuki's post--dials that have multiple functions drive me nuts at least. The bass/mid/treble in the F1 isn't bad but look at everything on the other dial!

(Pretty slick to have a compressor and anti-feedback slipped in there too.)

Not to be a smart aleck but just to help jules, re the spelling, Cuki is referring to AeroUSA here on the forum.

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-30-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:15 AM

I've just had a rough scan of these two systems and wonder if anyone has swapped the Fishman sensor for a K&K.

At first glance the preamp section seems well designed to fit unless there's a major level discrepancy.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I like the F1 Aura. Here is my simple guide to dial it in.
1) Reboot the guitar to set everything flat and 50/50 blend. This gets rid
any internal rogue settings.
2) Scroll thru and pick a mic image you like or just use #1 for now....there
may be a reason it's #1. :-)
3)select a phase by punching the right button to see + or - and select the best.
4)Set the Blend to dial in a little more ust.....I usually end up on 3 -5.
5) Many times I reduce the midrange to compensate for the 'extra'
midrange coming from the mic image.

This should get you in the ballpark of what the F1 Aura does....for better or
worse. From there, you can experiment with the many other EQ tweaks.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a 2016 Martin GPC-18E Aura VT Enhance and could not get a good amplified tone out of the system. The Enhance transducer just made everything sound brittle.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-01-2023, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Took me quite a while to achieve the sound I like with my F1 equipped GPCPA1.

I think too much adjustment and choices can be a bad thing.

I emailed Martin and got a rundown on the mic selections. Watched many YouTube videos.

Finally got it set. The Aura systems in the newer models are much easier to navigate. Less controls.

The larger the system you run the Arua in. The better it sounds. Professional PA gear is preferable.

Good Luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification