The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 AM

I'll offer this one for U2. A point or routine in shows that was usually a talented or good looking dancer from the crowd was Stephanie the Canadian nurse who until that point had only played guitar at home or a high school talent show.

YMMV, but I've thought this is pretty sweet.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 AM

I tried to listen to Black Sabbath (War Pig is the song) when I was in junior high. It was a way of declaring yourself anti-social and "dark". But it was all BS. Now seeing Ozzy and his family as just another bunch of pot-bellied wealthy Hollywood celebrity jerks, it makes all that satanic, death-worship shtick look like the money-making crap it really was.

When U2's Joshua Tree came out, our local classic rock station did a poll of listeners to see if they should add it to their rotation, since it wasn't classic. The song In God's Country blew me away, but I never cared for anything else they put out. And that whole "I'm a rock star so only I can save the world" thing always puts me off.

Never had the patience for the Dead. Bon Jovi? Pop band for girls. All hair, no music.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I remember it as if it was yesterday (what some claim about the 60's is in my experience not really true )

Yes I was really there, Spring of 1967 and the Portland Oregon FM stations picked up and started playing Morning Dew covered by the Grateful Dead.

Not their biggest hit by any means and not what most "Dead Heads" will muse about . But even though a cover, I think it is the epitome of the "Dead Sound" and first pushed the Dead (and how they would define and their music) into the public awareness . I bought the first Dead Album because of that song , I never really became a Dead Head but I started playing that song in 67 and still do today.
The part about the 60s is very true, but it is still fun to say.

My older brother is a rabid Dead Head, complete with all the secret signs and hand shakes, and even flying to Grateful Dead concerts. He claims that the studio albums "suck" and that the only way to experience the Dead is to attend a live concert. Well, too late for that.

I never got into the Dead, probably because I was just a bit too young for the whole hippie scene by a couple of years. In hindsight, I am glad because some, like my brother, seem to be stuck in that time warp and seem to be constantly reliving it instead of grabbing onto the life around them today.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The part about the 60s is very true, but it is still fun to say.

My older brother is a rabid Dead Head, complete with all the secret signs and hand shakes, and even flying to Grateful Dead concerts. He claims that the studio albums "suck" and that the only way to experience the Dead is to attend a live concert. Well, too late for that.

I never got into the Dead, probably because I was just a bit too young for the whole hippie scene by a couple of years. In hindsight, I am glad because some, like my brother, seem to be stuck in that time warp and seem to be constantly reliving it instead of grabbing onto the life around them today.

Tony
While not really a Dead Head I was able to attend two shows. One show the Dead did just outside Portland Oregon, in an old no longer used Grange Hall in Gresham, that someone in mid 60s decided would make a great smaller concert venue and renamed it Springers Ballroom.
At at least one show, at Portland State Collage (If I remember correctly ha , contradicting myself) Quick Silver Messenger Service opened for them, and honestly I liked them better.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-31-2020 at 12:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic