The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-31-2024, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Default String question on CF

So it appears I’m joining the CF crew with a Journey. I’ve never had a guitar with a removable neck.

What strings do y’all use? Do you avoid round core for fear of slipping?

On my wood acoustics I used SOS or JPs; I have pb on some, monel on others.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-31-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
So it appears I’m joining the CF crew with a Journey. I’ve never had a guitar with a removable neck.

What strings do y’all use? Do you avoid round core for fear of slipping?

On my wood acoustics I used SOS or JPs; I have pb on some, monel on others.
Welcome! This question is right up my alley as I've had my OF660 for over 5 years now. I love the thing for what it is.

Along the way I've tried a lot of strings, some of my favorite non-coated/ treated:

-DR Sunbeams (no, there was no issue with unraveling. Just install with a crimp and don't clip strings before brought up to pitch)

-Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze (sound really good, but don't last as well for me and I loathe the feel)

-GHS Vintage Bronze (same thoughts as with the Ernie Ball AB for longevity, but they actually felt great- very little "squeak")

It seems to have come full circle, back to what the Journey ships with or close to it. Since it is a carbon travel guitar, it makes sense to have strings that are just as durable to the elements. I've settled on D'addario XS phosphor bronze lights, or Elixir HD Light. I like the D'addario better for feel and tone, but I love the gauge of the Elixir set. (I reached out and D'addario will not make a set, claiming that there would be no demand)
Old 01-31-2024, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Steelvibe. I just happen to have a couple sets of D’addario XS. I’ll try them. I agree with your logic about durability.

Optima dies, prima fugit

Last edited by Jim Owen; 01-31-2024 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

I use Martin Retros (monel) on my two Composite Acoustics. I enjoy the sound but more so I enjoy how long they last.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-06-2024, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I currently have D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (12-53) on my Rainsong CO-OM1100N2 and it sounds good and balanced across the strings, warm and articulate. I was not a fan of the stock Elixers on this guitar.

I'm planning on testing more strings but the PBs sound so good I'd be hard pressed to come up with an excuse to make a change any time soon.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
I use Martin Retros (monel) on my two Composite Acoustics. I enjoy the sound but more so I enjoy how long they last.
Thanks, Birdsong. Btw, I was a Raleigh boy long ago.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-09-2024, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
I currently have D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights (12-53) on my Rainsong CO-OM1100N2 and it sounds good and balanced across the strings, warm and articulate. I was not a fan of the stock Elixers on this guitar.

I'm planning on testing more strings but the PBs sound so good I'd be hard pressed to come up with an excuse to make a change any time soon.
Thanks OTF. Those were my go to strings at one time. I’ll add them to my list of trials.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-10-2024, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

I came across the Martin Luxe Kovar money back guarantee. I decided to pick up a set and tried them on my Enya X4 pro. It took a day or two for them to settle in but I have to say I quite like them on the Enya. Not sure in comparison that I like them enough for the price but they are sounding quite nice.

In a way I do pickup on their strange comment of both warmer and brighter. They do seem to be quite warm while having articulate trebles.
Old 02-10-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I came across the Martin Luxe Kovar money back guarantee. I decided to pick up a set and tried them on my Enya X4 pro. It took a day or two for them to settle in but I have to say I quite like them on the Enya. Not sure in comparison that I like them enough for the price but they are sounding quite nice.

In a way I do pickup on their strange comment of both warmer and brighter. They do seem to be quite warm while having articulate trebles.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe if I get a sweet deal?

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-11-2024, 01:00 PM

I was using elixir nanoweb pb lights on my rainsong shorty co-om but have become a convert of the retro monels. Full, round tone without that really high pinginess.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile640 View Post
I was using elixir nanoweb pb lights on my rainsong shorty co-om but have become a convert of the retro monels. Full, round tone without that really high pinginess.
I’ve got several sets of the Monels. I use them on one of my 000 18s and like their feel.

Thanks, Emile!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-11-2024, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I've had my OF660 for a year and a half. My normal strings are Elixir Nano PB Lights. I've tried D'Addario PB XS Lights on it. They lasted a little longer than the Elixirs. Other than that, I didn't notice much difference in tone. I also tried some Elixir Mediums to see if I could get more volume, but not so much. So I usually stick with the Elixir PB Lights. Easier on the fingers.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:37 PM

While Retros became my go-to on my RainSong, they were just kind of meh to my ears on the OF660. I may try the set of Luxe Kovar strings on it since I’ve heard that they last a long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber