The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Adding fret markers to my Emerald X20

I have an X20 without fret markers and was trying to decide whether to add them to my new X7 order, so I bought some Inlaystickers Sticker/Decal (F-085CD-WT-AZ) from Amazon because I'd seen them mentioned on the forum.

I was going to place them precisely, but then decided that for $10 I'd just eyeball it and see how they looked. They were easy to apply and haven't budged in the week they've been on. (It also convinced me to pay the extra for white dot on my X7. I'm tackling jazz guitar and find they really help.)

The photo is taken at a bit of an angle which adds to the apparent asymmetry, but in Real Life it looks fine, and it gets the job done.

I can't speak to long term durability, but no matter how you slice it it's cheaper than having the dots installed at the factory.

I'm posting this as a resource for others. Hope it will prove helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emerald dots.jpg (30.8 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:23 PM

Stickers ae a great option for this. I agree about the price / performance ratio and not having to go with a custom order just for fretboard markers. My only concern would be how well they stick to the "toothed" matte surface now used by Emerald, versus the glossy cast surface they previously used. But if a sticker comes off eventually, you know how to fix it. BTW it seems like the D and G strings make a perfect snap line to position the markers.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:40 PM

I agree that Emerald’s price seems really high for dots, at least to me. I have been gassing for an X20 anyway. I would bet that the stickers will last quite a while, hopefully.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I’ve always liked the look of fret markers, but my venerable old Martin doesn’t have them, and none of the three X20s I’ve owned have had them either.

I really can’t see them when I’m playing, and for me, the side dots are more than adequate. YMMV, as always, with this stuff.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-22-2024, 07:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

For whatever reason, I prefer my wood guitars with fret markers and my composite guitars without. In either case, the side dots are reference enough.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
For whatever reason, I prefer my wood guitars with fret markers and my composite guitars without. In either case, the side dots are reference enough.
Front fret markers on any guitar for me personally are secondary, since I usually can’t see them when I’m playing, anyway. That being said, the abalone inlay shark fret markers on my new-to-me RainSong CO-PA1000NS are incredibly cool!!
Old 01-25-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I do find the neck inlay useful at times when learning a new song/progression. That said, I've always liked the more subtle markers (just my preferred look overall for a guitar).

When I ordered my X7 I paid extra for the "rings" in silver and really liked how they turned out. Here are 2 photos with different lighting in case you are interested.

Obviously, everybody has different tastes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X7Neck1.jpg (39.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg X7Neck2.jpg (39.8 KB, 57 views)
2023 Rainsong WS Nashville LE2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber