The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-10-2024, 11:29 AM

I thought Aaron's review was excellent. Detailed, thoughtful, and honest.

And as an owner of an X20 with the Ghost + K&K system, my thoughts differ from his only in that I absolutely love the plugged-in sound, and the guitar is 100% for me.

I agree with him that, acoustically, it isn't a loud guitar. That came as no shock to me, as I really wasn't expecting it to be loud. As others have pointed out, it is definitely not a dreadnought!

But volume isn't everything (I'd have gone for an X30 if it was), and I have no complaints about the tone.

In fact, I have no complaints at all.

Hand on heart, it is the best guitar I've owned over the last 50+ years, and if I ever sell it, then it will be to fund the purchase of another Emerald.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:06 PM

Based on the responses so far, I also wonder if the Ghost bridge weighs a bit more and dampens the top a bit? I'm not personally going to purchase another X20 with the Ghost bridge just to do this particular comparison, so I'll have to leave the question as idle AGF speculation.
Old 01-10-2024, 03:36 PM

I'll be sure to tell my X20 (from 2016) that it is too quiet the next time it plays at a bluegrass jam on Thursday, with me carrying the primary rhythm for the circle. No one complains about not hearing it in the jam.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'll be sure to tell my X20 (from 2016) that it is too quiet the next time it plays at a bluegrass jam on Thursday, with me carrying the primary rhythm for the circle. No one complains about not hearing it in the jam.
Thanks for the chuckle, Earl. I consider my X20 to be similar in size and volume to my Taylor 814ce; I wouldn't call either guitar quiet or muted - both sound great. I prefer the tone and playing experience of the X20. I think we tend to get caught up in the minutia at times, trying to compare and contrast every guitar and every detail.

I enjoy Aaron's reviews. I am a player, not a reviewer, and I find the entire playing/owning experience with my Emeralds to be the best, based on 5+ decades of playing. I like the variety of guitars I have currently, but if I had to narrow it down to just one, it would be one of the Emeralds.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Here's the review to save folks having to prove they know what a fire hydrant or bicycle look like! And then sitting through seemingly endless adverts!

I think Aaron has the action too low on the top strings. The Ghost bridge is perhaps sucking out energy rather than transmitting the vibrations into the guitar body? The standard pinless carbon bridge may do a much better job of getting string energy into the body. And perhaps a beefy set of mediums (monel?) would give this guitar a lot more pure acoustic punch.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber