The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
The pro picks (I did not know them, thanks !) look interesting to me as I dared file down a regular Dunlop thumbpick to shorten it.
They are very comfortable and, because you’re able to feel the string through the hole, they don’t seem to take as much ‘getting used to’ as standard finger picks - that’s my experience anyway. I find the ‘split-wrap’ style the most comfortable and easiest to adjust for fit.

I’ve never understood why people file down their thumbpick blades - it brings the ‘loop-end’ of the band closer to the strings, and increases the chances of getting ‘hooked-up’ with the string. I just use standard, unaltered thumbpicks - it keeps my thumb in the best position, and takes only a few minutes to get used to a new type of pick.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
So I’m trying to get finger picking down, and enjoying the journey. When I play with no thumb pick I do fine, and the note volume is even. When I use a thumb pick, the bass thump is overpowering. I don’t mind playing with no thumb pick, but I see a lot of players using one and it sounds great.

I have tried to go light with the thumb, but it seems to disrupt my rhythm.

Do I just keep trying? Have any of you veterans gone through this as well?

Did you finally even things out, or just go pickless?

I’ve tried Fred Kelly pick sanded down a bit, and a good ol Dunlop med so far.
Hi PapaC

I've done pick and pickless, and prefer pickless. I never use the thumbpick as a substitute pick, even when strumming, and like the less articulate thumb's edge to a pointed pick.

Even when I used picks, I bought mediums and trimmed them to length to blunt them and lessen the amount of articulation…like this (this is a picture of how I ground them down on my bench-grinder and smoothed them with sandpaper).

I still have some, and occasionally I need to do some more muted strumming for a song so I'll pull one out, and they still work really well.

There are obviously many ways to moderate or accent thumb picks. Fred Kelly were always to flimsy and plinky for my taste.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2020, 03:23 PM

I don't know how you could balance the sound of a thumb pick unless you were using fingerpicks of one kind or another. I use metal fingerpicks and a National thumb pick, but metal picks are a sound not everyone likes. And there are many different kinds of finger picks. I have a whole drawer full of failed fingerpicks.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 PM

I use a thumb pick and metal fingerpicks when I'm Travis picking. (Herco lights or Dunlop smalls using a light palm mute to stop the bass notes from ringing out). However if I decide to fingerpick using a more classical style approach then I don't use a thumb pick.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Artificial nails are a good way to balance things out. Any way to power up your fingers is needed for most. I don't know how TE manages it with bare fingers, with that bright articulation as well.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Thanks again all!

After practicing today, I found that the Fred Kelly seemed to work for me the best. I like to anchor the heel of my hand on the bridge while playing, so I messed around with muting the bass notes some. Definitely a feel thing, and it’s getting better. I actually kinda like the thumping bass effect sometimes.

No finger picks for me. I’ve been in construction/manufacturing all my working life, so my hands are tough. I’m growing/shaping my nails just more or less as backing as my finger tip type is such that the flesh sticks out farther than the nail ends. I’d have to have claws sticking out to actually make contact with them lol. Which is fine, as I seem to be fine with the finger pads.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM

I’ve had the same problem, I’m all nails and flesh, but if tried with a thumb pick and I had to practice for about 2 months before it felt natural, and it’s hard to switch back and forth.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismitchell View Post
I’ve had the same problem, I’m all nails and flesh, but if tried with a thumb pick and I had to practice for about 2 months before it felt natural, and it’s hard to switch back and forth.
But even switching back and forth becomes natural eventually.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
But even switching back and forth becomes natural eventually.

True, I haven’t committed! I’m pretty happy with a bare thumb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion