The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-15-2020, 07:27 PM

So what are you going to do with the greenback equipt X2 from Sweetwater when it arrives?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

So, if you tune to pitch, then fret the string at the 12 fret it reads in tune at the 12th fret? I ask because even though it might tune to pitch okay, if the 12 fret doesn’t read in tune that means the intonation IS out...and you’d need to move the saddle for that string accordingly.

Also, any chance the treble side of the pickup has been changed or moved? This seems much less likely unless you’ve adjusted pickup heights. If a string is too close to the pickup it will make the guitar sound out of tune as well.

Finally, I presume the strings are sitting in the saddle and nut correctly and that nothing’s changed there? Sometimes the saddles can move from side to side or even drop height. Just things to consider. Saddles dropping height wouldn’t effect intonation but moving out of alignment could potentially cause issues.

Honestly, there’s not a lot of “causes” left that would produce what you’re experiencing.

Keep us posted. We’re a good bunch of folks hoping to help in anyway we can.

PT
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 02-15-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
So what are you going to do with the greenback equipt X2 from Sweetwater when it arrives?
More than likely they will have him just send the new amp back using the same RS label they’d sent for him to ship the original back
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
So, if you tune to pitch, then fret the string at the 12 fret it reads in tune at the 12th fret? I ask because even though it might tune to pitch okay, if the 12 fret doesn’t read in tune that means the intonation IS out...and you’d need to move the saddle for that string accordingly.

Also, any chance the treble side of the pickup has been changed or moved has it? This seems much less likely unless you’ve adjusted pickup heights. If a string is too close to the pickup it will make the guitar sound out of tune as well.

Finally, I presume the strings are sitting in the saddle and nut correctly and that nothing’s changed there? Sometimes the saddles can move from side to side or even drop height. Just things to consider. Saddles dropping height wouldn’t effect intonation but moving out of alignment could potentially cause issues.

Honestly, there’s not a lot of “causes” left that would produce what you’re experiencing.

Keep us posted. We’re a good bunch of folks hoping to help in anyway we can.

PT
A good, bright, touch sensitive amp like your new Super Champ will magnify intonation and pickup height issues - sounds to me like your Yamaha only requires a thorough set up if it hasn’t been a matter of signal loss to the amp. I’m sure it’s fine otherwise, but best to have a tech look at it and make adjustments, including (likely if not already done so) lowering nut slots for better playability. And don’t forget new strings !
Old 02-15-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
More than likely they will have him just send the new amp back using the same RS label they’d sent for him to ship the original back
I should have said- since Sweetwater is sending you the upgraded model of the X2 with the greenback speaker with no additional payment, even though it is in wine tolex instead of tweed, are you going to keep that one instead?
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I should have said- since Sweetwater is sending you the upgraded model of the X2 with the greenback speaker with no additional payment, even though it is in wine tolex instead of tweed, are you going to keep that one instead?
Gotcha. Good question!

To the OP, if it’s been deemed that the original amp isn’t defective they (Sweetwater) will charge you return shipping and, the price difference between the original and the replacement/upgrade IF you preferred to go with the upgraded version.

Just something to be mindful of. While they have a great return policy, Sweetwater only pays return shipping if an item is deemed defective.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
PM sent.

I'm not certain I'm going to another Super Champ, yet. The credit to my account has happened but nothing will be shipped to me until when and if I send this amp back. It could be that I ship both the Yamaha Pacifica and the Super Champ back to them. I purchased both items from them within the past 3 months. I would love for them to have guitar and amp in hand. Fix the issue and send them back to me. I'll know more tomorrow. I want to do what's best for me. AND what's best for them. It will work out. I'm a fair and honest man. And I trust they will be fair and honest.

I should say this too. I've played acoustics for 15+ years. I've owned electrics through the years but sold them all because none of them really jived with me. Amps too. I've owned at least 3 amps. 3 months ago I bought the Yamaha and the Champion 20 amp and it changed everything. I haven't played acoustic for 3 months.!! I love the Yamaha and the Champion 20. So these problems I'm having are way over my head. When it comes to electrics I would describe myself as an advanced beginner.

You will all hear back from me when the dust settles.....

From here on out I'm not going to comment much further. I was really stressed out last night. I'm not angry about anything. The sound clip I have is very telling. I need help posting it up.

Last edited by 3notes; 02-16-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
To answer your question, IF I get the Wine Red amp in and it's in good working order, I would be thrilled to keep that amp. Absolutly. Also, I mentioned this somewhere too, that I am considering a Yamaha THR 30 watt wireless. I have this feeling I could get another Super Champ in and I have same the problem.

I'm going to have a nice amp at the end of this. I'll be patient.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
PM sent.

I'm not certain I'm going to another Super Champ, yet. The credit to my account has happened but nothing will be shipped to me until when and if I send this amp back. It could be that I ship both the Yamaha Pacifica and the Super Champ back to them. I purchased both items from them within the past 3 months. I would love for them to have guitar and amp in hand. Fix the issue and send them back to me. I'll know more tomorrow. I want to do what's best for me. AND what's best for them. It will work out. I'm a fair and honest man. And I trust they will be fair and honest.

I should say this too. I've played acoustics for 15+ years. I've owned electrics through the years but sold them all because none of them really jived with me. Amps too. I've owned at least 3 amps. 3 months ago I bought the Yamaha and the Champion 20 amp and it changed everything. I haven't played acoustic for 3 months.!! I love the Yamaha and the Champion 20. So these problems I'm having are way over my head. When it comes to electrics I would describe myself as an advanced beginner.

You will all hear back from me when the dust settles.....

From here on out I'm not going to comment much further. I was really stressed out last night. I'm not angry about anything. The sound clip I have is very telling. I need help posting it up.
You are going to get this all sorted and before you know it you will be telling us all about your great new electric experiences!
Old 02-16-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You are going to get this all sorted and before you know it you will be telling us all about your great new electric experiences!
Thank you.!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars