The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-11-2020, 08:49 AM

Default Bought another Toyota

I hate to admit it, but I think I'm done at this point with having any Chrysler/Jeep vehicles or Chevy vehicles as a daily driver. I love a full-size Chevy as much as the next person. I drove a 1998 K1500 Z-71, and my wife drove a 2003 Suburban. While I absolutely adored both of these vehicles, I got tired of spending my free time wrenching on them, fixing leaks, fooling with the A/C system, and don't get me started on electrical issues. With that said, they were the best driving vehicles I've ever driven.

My time came for me to get something else about 2 years ago when my truck left me stranded on the side of the road (again) about 10 miles from home with the windchill in the single digits. I had it towed to the shop, got it fixed, and I took it home. However, while it was in the shop, my buddy who sells cars had a cheap little 2006 Toyota Matrix AWD. I went to the bank, got a 3-year loan (paid it off 1.5 years early), and I bought it after a quick test drive. I've had the car for two years now, and I don't think I've been more impressed with a small car. Except for the clearance, the Matrix goes BETTER in the snow than the full-size Chevy truck ever did. Right now, I've gone through 3 broken hubcaps, two broken door handles, a tire pressure sensor that never worked, and one coil pack. It's got over 202,000 miles on it, and runs just as good as it ever has. I commute each day up a mountain to work, and it couldn't be a better vehicle. I rarely find myself under the hood doing ANYTHING except occasionally checking fluids. It has developed a ever-so-slight drip from the valve cover gasket that I'll get fixed this spring, but this will be the first time I've had to take it to the shop except for a wheel bearing.

About 3-4 months after I got my Toyota, my wife's Suburban developed some lovely-sounding lifter noise. Took it to the shop, the oil pan and screen were full of sludge (we have always performed oil changes religiously). The car had 200,000 miles on it, so we sold it. We bought a Honda Pilot. Long story short, our kids are getting too big to road trip in the Honda Pilot, so we bought this:

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum. I'm really hoping that this will last for many years. This is as close to as a Suburban that we could get that's actually from a reliable car company. We really do love this vehicle.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM

I used to feel bad about preferring Japanese cars - but not anymore.

Having worked for GM, Chrysler (actually FCA) and Honda - there is just a completely different mindset and corporate culture at the Japanese companies that ultimately serves to offer a superior vehicle based on my metrics for judging.

I (and I think most car buyers) basically want their car to be an appliance. Like, say, a toaster. I expect that as long as my toaster is plugged in and I've paid my utility bill, that I can drop bread into it every morning and it just works. Maybe I drain the crumbs out the bottom every once in a while, but in general - zero failures and absolute minimal maintenance should be necessary.

I've just not found American or European cars to offer that level of reliability. That said, the Asian cars definitely lack much of a soul as compared to their competitors. Very few Asian cars evoke excitement or passion.

I still drive my 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon, that I bought back in 2008 for $1700. It now has 325k miles, everything still works, it drives well, and has required essentially zero major repairs.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 AM

Enjoy it in good health!

That's been a popular Suburban and Tahoe replacement in our ski club and with some MTB riders I know. A neighbor did that and then a current 4Runner. Quite a few of these are high mileage drivers always going the distance for ski jumping and biathlon competitions.

They seem to defend their purchases this way. The Suburbans and Tahoes indeed can go along time. The difference is the Toyotas haven't had the small part and component failures. I hope that one serves you well.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I used to feel bad about preferring Japanese cars - but not anymore.

Having worked for GM, Chrysler (actually FCA) and Honda - there is just a completely different mindset and corporate culture at the Japanese companies that ultimately serves to offer a superior vehicle based on my metrics for judging.

I (and I think most car buyers) basically want their car to be an appliance. Like, say, a toaster. I expect that as long as my toaster is plugged in and I've paid my utility bill, that I can drop bread into it every morning and it just works. Maybe I drain the crumbs out the bottom every once in a while, but in general - zero failures and absolute minimal maintenance should be necessary.

I've just not found American or European cars to offer that level of reliability. That said, the Asian cars definitely lack much of a soul as compared to their competitors. Very few Asian cars evoke excitement or passion.

I still drive my 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon, that I bought back in 2008 for $1700. It now has 325k miles, everything still works, it drives well, and has required essentially zero major repairs.
I'm a former car nut who also used to work in car company related stuff who's got that just want it to work feeling. So far any premium paid up front for a few Toyotas and a Subaru was a reward over time and in the end. Fewer problems and really good resale.

Yesterday I had another one of those superior Subaru moments. Conventional 4x4s and another AWD were struggling to get up the ski area service road. If they got forward they were also going sideways. When they got out of my way the car with CVT many hate went right up and the bumps messing others up were just a brief moment of slip.

You're right on the passion. I was trail grooming and plowing in past days. The Subaru drivetrain acts more like those hydrostatic diesel vehicles. One real downside for normal driving is the always on symmetrical shafts setup is a hit to fuel economy. Still, it's a win for me. It replaced a pickup truck and 4Runner that consumed even more fuel. Handling and comfort are still superior.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Congrats and best of luck with your new vehicle!!

I've had great luck (knock on wood) with Toyotas. I had a 2000 4Runner for 7 years and put 120,000 on it. I only got rid of it because we needed a minivan and 2 large vehicles was redundant, so I downsized back to a sedan. With all of those miles, it was still on the original brakes! My wife has a 2015 Highlander and it's been quite reliable also.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I had a 2000 4Runner for 7 years and put 120,000 on it.... ...With all of those miles, it was still on the original brakes!
At 120k it was just starting to "open up"!
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Bought another Toyota... Long story short, our kids are getting too big to road trip in the Honda Pilot, so we bought this: 2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum...
Congrats! In preparation to moving up to north Idaho, we also recently got a 2013 Toyota. Not great for road trips with lots of kids, but this thing will go anywhere in any conditions!

2013 FJ Cruiser (Trails Team)

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-11-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
At 120k it was just starting to "open up"!
No kidding! It was also a manual shift and my wife can't drive manual. It was 12 years ago I traded that car in and I still miss it.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:

That said, the Asian cars definitely lack much of a soul as compared to their competitors. Very few Asian cars evoke excitement or passion.
Mazda, zoom, zoom, zoom. I'm a convert. Fun to drive, look good, and compete with European cars for driveability, at a much lower price and better dependability.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I've had great luck (knock on wood) with Toyotas. I had a 2000 4Runner for 7 years and put 120,000 on it.
Me too. I've still got my '97 4Runner, probably the best car I've ever owned. I got a new Rav4 Hybrid a couple months ago. Just upgraded the sound system in the last month, so now I'm happy. Nice vehicle.

Congrats, PPG... hope you enjoy it!
Old 02-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Mazda, zoom, zoom, zoom. I'm a convert. Fun to drive, look good, and compete with European cars for driveability, at a much lower price and better dependability.
I have a ton of respect for Mazda. They are a tiny automaker, but they do big things. Very impressive. Unfortunately I'm not in love with their style lately. I really wanted to love the Speed3, but just can't get on board with it.

If you're a car nerd like me, take some time to read about their new "Skyactiv-X" engine, which is kind of a hybrid between gasoline and diesel - realizing the advantages of both, without the disadvantages of either. Every automaker has been trying to get this to work for 30+ years, and in the end it was Mazda that's made it happen.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I hate to admit it, but I think I'm done at this point with having any Chrysler/Jeep vehicles or Chevy vehicles as a daily driver. I love a full-size Chevy as much as the next person. I drove a 1998 K1500 Z-71, and my wife drove a 2003 Suburban. While I absolutely adored both of these vehicles, I got tired of spending my free time wrenching on them, fixing leaks, fooling with the A/C system, and don't get me started on electrical issues. With that said, they were the best driving vehicles I've ever driven.

My time came for me to get something else about 2 years ago when my truck left me stranded on the side of the road (again) about 10 miles from home with the windchill in the single digits. I had it towed to the shop, got it fixed, and I took it home. However, while it was in the shop, my buddy who sells cars had a cheap little 2006 Toyota Matrix AWD. I went to the bank, got a 3-year loan (paid it off 1.5 years early), and I bought it after a quick test drive. I've had the car for two years now, and I don't think I've been more impressed with a small car. Except for the clearance, the Matrix goes BETTER in the snow than the full-size Chevy truck ever did. Right now, I've gone through 3 broken hubcaps, two broken door handles, a tire pressure sensor that never worked, and one coil pack. It's got over 202,000 miles on it, and runs just as good as it ever has. I commute each day up a mountain to work, and it couldn't be a better vehicle. I rarely find myself under the hood doing ANYTHING except occasionally checking fluids. It has developed a ever-so-slight drip from the valve cover gasket that I'll get fixed this spring, but this will be the first time I've had to take it to the shop except for a wheel bearing.

About 3-4 months after I got my Toyota, my wife's Suburban developed some lovely-sounding lifter noise. Took it to the shop, the oil pan and screen were full of sludge (we have always performed oil changes religiously). The car had 200,000 miles on it, so we sold it. We bought a Honda Pilot. Long story short, our kids are getting too big to road trip in the Honda Pilot, so we bought this:

2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum. I'm really hoping that this will last for many years. This is as close to as a Suburban that we could get that's actually from a reliable car company. We really do love this vehicle.

After totaling my Ford F150 I decided I wanted to find something used and something that is known to go 200-300,000 miles with minor maintenance, so I found a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 69,000 miles on it.
Yep I know I have a big maintenance issue coming up at 105,000 timing belt water pump, idler pulley and maybe preventive radiator replace, and valve adjust, but it's still cheaper than buying new and I've only got 75,000 on it now so it will be awhile, probably have it paid off by then.
It might just be my last truck purchase... Maybe[emoji16]
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM

As a long-time motorcycle guy, there's no question whatsoever that the Japanese motorcycles are more reliable than their American, German or Italian counterparts. I had a few BMWs and had relatively good luck with them but then one developed a final drive unit problem that was rampant with that model and BMW didn't exactly step up to the plate to correct the issue. It was back to Asian bikes for me at the time and I've never looked back.
The same with cars. After years of Chryslers and Fords, many of which had a myriad of problems, I switched to Hondas years ago and have never had an issue with any of them. We just added a Toyota Camry to the stable on the recommendation of several people. A quick check of Consumer Reports shows that out of the Top Ten Most Reliable vehicles, 7 of them are Toyotas. I'd say that's a pretty good record, the product of a different business and engineering culture I wish America would emulate more.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 02-11-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
A quick check of Consumer Reports shows that out of the Top Ten Most Reliable vehicles, 7 of them are Toyotas. I'd say that's a pretty good record, the product of a different business and engineering culture I wish America would emulate more.
What I find interesting, is how FAST Hyundai/Kia/Genesis has improved. They have gone from being a joke 15 years ago, to being credible 10 years ago, to being legitimate competition to the Japanese 5 years ago.

I read a consumers reports article last year, and Hyundai, Kia and Genesis (their flagship like Lexus is to Toyota) were ALL in the top 10.

Incredible.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Yep I know I have a big maintenance issue coming up at 105,000 timing belt water pump, idler pulley and maybe preventive radiator replace...
Just did this on the Pilot at 124,000 miles. While we didn't replace the radiator, we replaced the alternator last year. On a fluke, the alternator went out again, and we were able to get it replaced for free (but we had to pay maintenance.

So here's our list:

Replace cylinder head solenoid gasket
Replace alternator (only paid maintenance)
Timing belt replaced
Idler pulley replaced

This has been our first major repair bill on it in almost 2 years of ownership. I hope that it's the last for a year or so. We just got tires for it last November, so I'm hoping nothing else happens for a while. I'm still commuting in my Matrix and saving miles on the Honda.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic