The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 03:43 PM

Default NGD Taylor 327e

Having read many of these over the years, it feels strange to draft this post. I classify myself as a hacker, and mostly play to entertain myself. But I appreciate good guitars and have owned a fair few - Martin, Larrivee, and others. Been playing an Eastman E20OM lately that is a really good guitar, great fundamental tone and volume, but I found myself wanting something warmer, more rich tone.

So I visited my local shop to test drive a few, with my primary target being a Taylor 324. Played that, a 322, a couple of 327’s, and a Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel signature version. All of these were outstanding guitars, but one of the 327’s was head and shoulders the best, with the Tommy a close second. Was not my intention to leave there with a guitar, but after playing them all a while, my wife gave me The Look and said that one is amazing.

I think the V bracing combined with the dark tones from the mahogany top would be kind of muffled on its own, but combined with the punch of the Tas Blackwood makes a completely different tonal recipe. It is still very warm and darkish, but with incredible sustain and a wide dynamic range that sounds good anywhere from light finger style to really aggressive strumming and flat picking. It just doesn’t seem to run out of headroom regardless how you drive it.

The dark burst and black appointments are a perfect fit. Going to be fun getting to know it.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:13 PM

Congrats! I had to look up the exact model, it's a Grand Pacific, Round Shouldered Dread. Great that you were able to play a bunch of guitars and walk out with your favorite. Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2020, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tacoma, you might want to change your username now. Congrats on the 327. That must be some shop you visited to have that good a selection. And since you've read so many NGDs previously, you know we need to have pictures. BTW your analysis of the 327 is very insightful...

Last edited by RP; 01-26-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
Having read many of these over the years, it feels strange to draft this post. I classify myself as a hacker, and mostly play to entertain myself. But I appreciate good guitars and have owned a fair few - Martin, Larrivee, and others. Been playing an Eastman E20OM lately that is a really good guitar, great fundamental tone and volume, but I found myself wanting something warmer, more rich tone.

So I visited my local shop to test drive a few, with my primary target being a Taylor 324. Played that, a 322, a couple of 327’s, and a Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel signature version. All of these were outstanding guitars, but one of the 327’s was head and shoulders the best, with the Tommy a close second. Was not my intention to leave there with a guitar, but after playing them all a while, my wife gave me The Look and said that one is amazing.

I think the V bracing combined with the dark tones from the mahogany top would be kind of muffled on its own, but combined with the punch of the Tas Blackwood makes a completely different tonal recipe. It is still very warm and darkish, but with incredible sustain and a wide dynamic range that sounds good anywhere from light finger style to really aggressive strumming and flat picking. It just doesn’t seem to run out of headroom regardless how you drive it.

The dark burst and black appointments are a perfect fit. Going to be fun getting to know it.
Welcome to the club! I’ve had my 327e for a month now and LOVE it. Completely agree with your description of its tonal range and versatility. Blackwood is a uniquely sweet match for hog.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:44 PM

Congratulations!! Can’t wait to try one out myself.
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 PM

Congratulations
Old 01-26-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:44 PM

Congrats!

You guys are piquing my interest to check out one of these. I wonder how they compare side by side with a 517???
Old 01-27-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Congrats!

You guys are piquing my interest to check out one of these. I wonder how they compare side by side with a 517???
The OP is my boss man. I have a 717 GP and played both together this morning. His 327 is SPECTACULAR! More mid-rangy than the 717, maybe slightly less volume, but very close. I thought it was fantastic. Excellent note separation, great strumming as well as fingerpicking. It had the stock strings, which I like, but they look like nanoweb 80/20s instead of the PBs. Mine has PBs on it. The 327 that he has is the only one that I played, but I can't imagine how they get any better. I felt the 717 had more bass, but, honestly, I could play either one and be very pleased. Excellent guitar! I was very impressed. I know this doesn't answer the comparison between the 327 and 517, but I just wanted to brag on his 327.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 01-27-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Pictures ... ?
Old 01-27-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I have a 327 and love it. I personally didn't like all the dark coloring so I removed the pickguard and swapped out the tuning machines for chrome ones while retaining the black tuning knobs. To my eye, that's the perfect mix...

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:38 PM

Here's some quick pics

[IMG]IMG_8028 by Mike Falkner, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8029 by Mike Falkner, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 01-27-2020, 02:52 PM

These are so nice looking. I've tried a few in shop and they play nice and have a good tone to them.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Ben (btaylor) is right, blindfolded it would be very tough to choose between this one and his 717. We could hear some subtle differences in tone, but you had to just be listening for something.

I think his spruce-top projects bass and treble a tad more, and maybe a little more volume, while the 327 was very balanced and woody and will probably sound really good plugged in. But again, the difference was so lean as to maybe come down to strings.

I don't think I've ever picked up a guitar with a more playable action. Someone mentioned the store - it was Martin Music in Memphis. They have a good selection of nice guitars, and a good acoustic room. I spent well over an hour in there just back and forth, and the owner even came and played them for me to hear. I could have saved some $ by ordering online, but I probably wouldn't have bought one without playing it, and again this was the best of four 320 series guitars side by side.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Like RP, I quickly removed the pickguard from mine. Did the same when I had a 317. To my eyes the Grand Pacifics are born to be naked.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion