The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

I make my own casein picks and find the tone very natural. I'm still experimenting with shape, bevel and thickness but that's half the fun. Here's one I'm just finishing next to a Fender pick.

I'll give it a spin on my guitar later and see how it goes!

One thing I do find curious is that many casein pick makers say "on pain of death don't get this pick wet!" or something like that! Yet I use wet&dry and polishes and wash the picks off with soap and water. I've not had one deform or explode yet. And Wiki says about the material "It is odourless, insoluble in water, biodegradable, non-allergenic, antistatic and virtually nonflammable." Plus it was used for many, many years to make buttons on clothes that certainly would have gone through the wash. So is the 'don't get wet' thing just an old wives tail that no one has actually bothered to challenge/test?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
I apologize if there is a recent thread on this topic, but I could not find one if there is. I have been experimenting with many different picks trying to get the tone I'm after. I don't like a loud harsh sound when strumming with a pick, I like a softer warmer tone that doesn't cause the first two strings to blast out with a "twang". I know picks are really a very personal thing with folks as well as the tones they produce, but a pick can make a world of difference in sound. So far my favorites are the Dunlop 1.4 Primetones, the rounded Primetones, and the Jazz I nylon picks. I have some Jazz III's on the way and noticed the main difference in them and the Jazz I's is they have a more pointed tip. The Jazz I picks are probably my favorites to this point not only because of the tone, but their size makes my pick use a lot more accurate. What do you guys think? As far as something like a Bluechip, forget it, I am not paying $35 for a single pick. That would be the one I would lose on the first day.
Based on your preferences, a BlueChip is the last pick you want, so don't worry about not spending that kind of cash.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight, because my pick preferences seem to be diametrically opposed to yours (which is why I like BlueChips).

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 02-18-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM

You might really like the new EB Delrin picks
Old 02-18-2020, 12:22 PM

Pick Preference

My fingernails.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Based on your preferences, a BlueChip is the last pick you want, so don't worry about not spending that kind of cash.

Other than that, I can't offer much insight, because my pick preferences seem to be diametrically opposed to yours (which is why I like BlueChips).
Thanks, that helps!
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM

Yes, I play with a pick sometimes, and yes I have a preference.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 PM

Default Blue Chip

Lots of good advice here. Since you asked, do yourself a favor , bite the bullet and use a Blue Chip. I've tried a ton of picks and always come back to Blue Chip. Close second is V-picks.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:57 PM

I alternate between Jazz picks (I like the control of my fingers being close to the strings) and really light Dunlop picks. (Where I play with not a whole lot of the tip showing so my fingers are close to the strings also).

I see some players who hold their picks more towards the top and I sometimes wonder, how is it possible. (Granted it works for some players).
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I alternate between Jazz picks (I like the control of my fingers being close to the strings) and really light Dunlop picks. (Where I play with not a whole lot of the tip showing so my fingers are close to the strings also).

I see some players who hold their picks more towards the top and I sometimes wonder, how is it possible. (Granted it works for some players).
That's what I love about the Dunlop Jazz picks. They are the right size to keep my fingers close to the strings and they have drastically improved my accuracy.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:22 PM

Smile

Since I discovered the Cool "Cat Tongue" picks, that's about all I use. Very grippy and reasonably priced.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm sitting here laughing at what absolute gear nerds we are. We need to start a 12-Step Program. "My name is Scott and I'm powerless over accessories."

sm
Old 02-19-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'm sitting here laughing at what absolute gear nerds we are.
Uh, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but that’s actually why most of us are here, frankly. Normal human beings are usually DEEPLY uninterested in guitar string alloys and Martin guitar brace thicknesses and placement...

whm
Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwrjr View Post
I apologize if there is a recent thread on this topic, but I could not find one if there is. I have been experimenting with many different picks trying to get the tone I'm after. I don't like a loud harsh sound when strumming with a pick, I like a softer warmer tone that doesn't cause the first two strings to blast out with a "twang". I know picks are really a very personal thing with folks as well as the tones they produce, but a pick can make a world of difference in sound. So far my favorites are the Dunlop 1.4 Primetones, the rounded Primetones, and the Jazz I nylon picks. I have some Jazz III's on the way and noticed the main difference in them and the Jazz I's is they have a more pointed tip. The Jazz I picks are probably my favorites to this point not only because of the tone, but their size makes my pick use a lot more accurate. What do you guys think? As far as something like a Bluechip, forget it, I am not paying $35 for a single pick. That would be the one I would lose on the first day.
Hi, there is much iteration in your thread, some of which I find contradictory.

You don't mention what guitar you play and what strings you use and out oly reference to your style is "strumming" and your complaint about treble strings "twanging".

You do mention the dunlop primetones which I assume are the brown coloured Blue Chip copies and they certainly are a "dead" pick giving no feel and to my ear give a rather "clacky" attack.
You also mention the Jazz i and III picks both of which are small and pointed and so not designed nor ideal for "strumming".

Then you ask what we think.

I would suggest that you might review your picking style and your string gauges (ref: "twangy trebles").

Your outright dismissal of Blue Chips - the best pick on the market is probably wise at present as I suspect that you are at the relative beginning of your journey to develop your style and find your ideal pick.

Most of us have boxes full of old, rejected picks that we have bought over the years before developing our style and finding our ideal pick.
Last thught - consider trying out some Large Triangles such as Dunlop "tortex" orb Fenders they are a long way from perfect, but might help you along your way.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Uh, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but that’s actually why most of us are here, frankly. Normal human beings are usually DEEPLY uninterested in guitar string alloys and Martin guitar brace thicknesses and placement...

whm
Well, I did say "we," Wade, so I'm probably first in line on the bus to the Lunatic Fringe.

When I joined AGF about five years ago, I owned three guitars and one mandolin. I now own about 15 guitars and four mandos.

It's a disease.

scott
Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 AM

It's blown totally out of proportion in my mind. I treat my casein picks the same way I treat my other picks, and never had a problem. With one exception: every once in a while, I apply cedar oil to them, but less so because I believe it really does anything useful, and more because it makes me feel good and I'm a sucker for the smell. The only time a casein pick broke on me was when I tried to flex a John Pearse Fast Turtle out of ignorance, plus, that one had developed hairline cracks to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
One thing I do find curious is that many casein pick makers say "on pain of death don't get this pick wet!" So is the 'don't get wet' thing just an old wives tail that no one has actually bothered to challenge/test?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion