The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Default check out my new recording

Hello everyone, well I had some time to mess around with some stuff and I recorded this cover "Use Someone" by Kings of Leon, this is a nice little acoustic rendition. Comments and critiques are always appreciated. I'm always looking to become a better singer, musician, mixer, editor, mastering engineer, all that jazz...thanks for the listen

http://www.box.net/shared/lnlkygnqyl

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 AM

Holy cow, that was great!!! I wish you could record me sometime!

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good. You may want to put these kind of posts on the "Show and Tell" section. It will get more attention there.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM

sounds real good but definitely needs a high pass filter, lots of really high end treble that's really noticeable on your voice especially with the reverb. sounds like quite a lot of compression on the guitar and vocals, which would probably anger a lot of the old engineers. personally i probably would have used a bit less, but it still sounds good, i like compression as well
Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. SarNz awesome advice. I'll definitely tweak some more stuff. It's always nice having an extra set of ears to pick up on those things. When you're mixing and editing you listen to the track over and over and over again, you start not to hear the difference. You know what I mean? And as for the heavy compression, it's my mastering software, the brickwall limiter really squeezes the tone, but I do have ambitions to do this recording thing professionally, and yes much to the dismay of many old school engineers I have to cater to "the man" and use quite a bit of limiting. FWIW the session only had a bit of compression on the vocals and none at all on the acoustic tracks. Anyways I posted this in the "Show and Tell" (thanks rick-slo)

Rainsong WS1000
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Old 04-11-2010, 01:04 PM

I definitely know what you're talking about as far as letting someone else listen to it haha. I hardly ever show anyone my music... but am working hard on a 6 song EP that I want to finish up early summer. What mastering software are you using? And yeah, I am no old school engineer by any means, but I listen to a lot of what they say on recording forums. I am a fan of compression too, though I try to get it to sound natural.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 PM

I use T-racks. The presets makes it easy to use out the box, but definitely need to learn how to utilize everything it offers. I'm still just making little tweaks to the presets right now.

Awesome to the EP, throw us a sample when it's ready. Haha this is actually my first public recording of myself. I've done a few of my friends, but never released anything of mine till now. It's nice to have been getting compliments so far.

Rainsong WS1000
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Get off my lawn kid

That was good.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 AM

That was really good. I'm certainly no expert what here's what I heard:

1. there is a little extra high end noise as sarNz pointed out. I may not have noticed if it wasn't mentioned, but there are spots where it stands out.

2. The little acoustic lead segment was a bit quiet.

I'm curious how someone can tell that too much compression may be in use. What are the tell-tale signs?

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarNz View Post
sounds real good but definitely needs a high pass filter, lots of really high end treble that's really noticeable on your voice especially with the reverb. sounds like quite a lot of compression on the guitar and vocals, which would probably anger a lot of the old engineers. personally i probably would have used a bit less, but it still sounds good, i like compression as well
Low pass, high cut. not high pass?

Ty Ford
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikogi View Post
Hello everyone, well I had some time to mess around with some stuff and I recorded this cover "Use Someone" by Kings of Leon, this is a nice little acoustic rendition. Comments and critiques are always appreciated. I'm always looking to become a better singer, musician, mixer, editor, mastering engineer, all that jazz...thanks for the listen

http://www.box.net/shared/lnlkygnqyl
Hi Mark,

Nice tune. Like your voice. Lots of highs and some bottom but no mids in the guitar. Was that a personal choice? What guitar? What mic? What preamps?

I like a "more mid" sound. http://www.box.net/shared/2dkzqyrp49

Regards,

Ty
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Hey Ty good questions...the guitar was actual mixed flat. I used a pair of rode NT-5's going into my digi002. I also mixed in just barely my onboard UST going into my PADI. I noticed it was a bit shrill so I updated the file where I throw a high cut on the mic'd guitar files. Here's the update:

http://www.box.net/shared/mgofo6s2n1

Rob nice catch, I'm pretty sure it's my vocal mic beginning to record. I should go back and trim out the sections where nothing's being recorded. That can give off some ringing high frequencies.

Rainsong WS1000
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD