The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Elixir Nanoweb HD

Am I late to the party? I was just introduced to Elixir Nanoweb HD PB Light strings and they are fantastic on my SCGC OMG. It looks like they use mediums on the 3 lighter strings and light gauge strings on the 3 heavier strings.
Gauges: .013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053

It seems they were developed with Taylor Guitars. Andy Powers, wanted to create a custom string set that would bring a bolder, stronger high end and fuller, warmer low end. Seems about right with this guitar.

I had never heard of these before. I’ll be anxious to try them out on some other guitars. Any experience with these by other players?

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-18-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:04 PM

They were introduced ~2014 for Taylor. Andy Powers explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbTSHDm-jIg&app=desktop
Old 08-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I do like them on some guitars. Pete Huttlinger was a believer in them.

I like them on guitars where I want to make the trebles a bit more round or fat when regular lights on the E B G strings are too thin sounding or the trebles are dominated by the lower strings.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:17 PM

I use these on my Taylor 114CE. They are well balanced and play well.....on that guitar. I tried them in my Martin DC aura and they sounded thin. Went back to PB Mediums on the dread and was much happier and fuller.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I like them, a lot. I will go back and forth with them, but if it is all I have on hand, I am certainly not disappointed!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM

I tried them on 'non-Taylor' guitars and wasn't a big fan. Mostly due to the extra stiffness for bending and fingerpicking. I went the opposite way light-medium (bluegrass) gauge. Once again it will be guitar and personal style specific.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:51 PM

I love the concept but I'm not a fan of Elixirs. I typically buy a .017 and .013 from Strings by Mail and add them to a light set from a non-coated variety. I find that a more robust string on the top end helps on short scale guitars and does seem to help with the "plinky" tone I find on the top end and/or treble response from my guitars. No doubt in my mind that Mr.Powers is onto something here.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I love the concept but I'm not a fan of Elixirs. I typically buy a .017 and .013 from Strings by Mail and add them to a light set from a non-coated variety. I find that a more robust string on the top end helps on short scale guitars and does seem to help with the "plinky" tone I find on the top end and/or treble response from my guitars. No doubt in my mind that Mr.Powers is onto something here.
I do the same thing from Strings by Mail for 2 of my guitars. It makes a big difference.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:27 PM

It is good to have this option. Another option goes the other direction, Elixir 12-56. I have those on my 814ceDLX and like them a lot on that guitar.

The key to knowing which string gauge of a set you like is to evaluate what you like about the sound/balance of the guitar and make the appropriate selection. A lighter gauges will produce more harmonics while a heavier gauge will project more fundamental (than harmonics). So a heavier gauge will, in general, be more articulate than lighter strings, but at the expense of overtones and harmonics. For some guitars they could be perfect if someone wanted to knock down excessive high harmonics but maintain the presence of the fundamentals of the higher strings. Going the other direction works a little differently as the lower strings have greater impact on the resultant harmonics of all the strings above it, but essentially it's the same idea, but in reverse.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
The key to knowing which string gauge of a set you like is to evaluate what you like about the sound/balance of the guitar and make the appropriate selection. A lighter gauges will produce more harmonics while a heavier gauge will project more fundamental (than harmonics). So a heavier gauge will, in general, be more articulate than lighter strings, but at the expense of overtones and harmonics. For some guitars they could be perfect if someone wanted to knock down excessive high harmonics but maintain the presence of the fundamentals of the higher strings. Going the other direction works a little differently as the lower strings have greater impact on the resultant harmonics of all the strings above it, but essentially it's the same idea, but in reverse.
So, in other words, it depends.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-18-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
So, in other words, it depends.
Yep. Exactly.... However, experimentation and trying different things is the way to learn. Eventually you put together conclusions of cause and effect and come up with some basic rules to point you in the right direction.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 08-18-2019, 07:02 PM

I’ve been using them on my 314ce for the past few years. They sound great and last a long time, but I have noticed lately that they feel stiff to me. I thought it just could have been my setup, but I suppose it could be the strings.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-18-2019, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I’m an Elixir fan but prefer the medium lights with the medium strings on the lower E, A , and D and the lights on the G, B, E.

They sound great on my Furch Dreads
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-18-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Am I late to the party? I was just introduced to Elixir Nanoweb HD PB Light strings and they are fantastic on my SCGC OMG. It looks like they use mediums on the 3 lighter strings and light gauge strings on the 3 heavier strings.
Gauges: .013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053

It seems they were developed with Taylor Guitars. Andy Powers, wanted to create a custom string set that would bring a bolder, stronger high end and fuller, warmer low end. Seems about right with this guitar.

I had never heard of these before. I’ll be anxious to try them out on some other guitars. Any experience with these by other players?

Haasome,

Are you late to the party? Maybe just a little, but you did get here, so it's all OK.

First off, I've been using Elixirs off and on since I got my first Taylor in 1999, a 355 12 string Jumbo.

I first ran across HD lights experimenting with them a few years ago. Put them on my Alvarez, but they didn't feel or sound quite right, so at some point I re-strung it with Elixir PB Lights and have used PB Lights on it ever since.

I bought a used Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert, which was strung with HD Lights, and I really liked the sound and feel when I tested it. This model has a 25.5" scale. Liked the HD Lights immediately.

Later I got a used Taylor 412e-R SE sitka/rosewood Grand Concert, a short scale guitar, which had PB HD Lights on it (possibly from the factory - it was in mint condition right down to the Elixir string sticker still on the pickguard). While playing and sounding different from the 512, it was again an immediate 'A' on the test.

From the Elixir site,

Light gauge is .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053,

HD light gauge is .013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053,

Medium gauge is .013, .017, .026, .035, .045, .056.

As you can see, only the treble E and B strings use the medium gauge strings. The G string is a 'tweener', .001 greater than the light gauge G string and .001 lesser than the medium gauge G string.

Maybe it's because I fingerpick everything all the time, using my nails as picks, but I like the sonic results of the slightly heavier treble strings. As I just mentioned, only a + .001 difference from Light Gauge.

Here is a link to an interview with Andy Powers, Builder of Taylor guitars, who explains why he likes the HD lights. And not just on smaller guitars.

https://youtu.be/UbTSHDm-jIg

So to summarize, I prefer the 'PB' flavored HD lights, and use them on both my Grand Concerts. I also currently string my 818e Grand Orchestra with them. Turns out that that guitar is plenty loud if I need it, and I get more than enough bass with the .053. It has a great response when softly picked. And there is a big difference in string tension with the 'A' and 'D' strings, which my older hands can appreciate. Elixir site gives you the tension for each string on a 25.5" scale. The 818e has a 25.5" scale. When I bought it new, it came with Elixir medium gauge PB strings. Scored A+ on my test. On my second string change, I put the Elixir PB HD lights on it as a test, and been using them ever since.

I also use Elixir PB HD lights on my Epiphone EJ200 Jumbo and it sounds really good with them. Seems to bring out some nuances with that guitar that I didn't think were there before. Again a 25.5" scale.

So my experiences with HD lights are overall very favorable, with the caveat that they are maybe not for every guitar.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 AM

I use Elixir HD Lights on all my acoustics, 3 Taylors (two 614's and a 914), and 2 Emerald X20's. I like the sound and feel, and they last a long time. I also like that I only have to stock one string size for everything.

As far as I know Taylor doesn't ship their guitars with HD Lights anymore, just regular Lights or Mediums, depending on the model. I'm not sure why they changed, because I really like them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion