The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I'd never heard of Bog Oak until recently when viewing some You Tube clips on new Lowdens so I dug into it a bit and it's a really interesting tonewood. I really love the Lowden African Blackwood guitars and the black Bog Oak is just a gorgeous and beautiful sounding. If I found a good deal on an S-50 model in either and it sounded like the examples I've heard online, I'd buy one for sure.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:09 AM

First, there are few $7,000+ guitars that resell quickly. I believe that if you're buying anything above "average" prices, and you don't at least initially think it's a keeper, love it and have to have it, it's a risky purchase. Also, if the dollar amount is not readily handled by one's budget (at any price) it should be avoided unless it's a "I've got to have it" situation.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

An S50 in African Blackwood sells for around 12k new. A good deal would be around 8k. The big oak would be about 9k new and 7k used. The 50 series, in any size is an expensive instrument used or new.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Maybe just me, but if you're thinking resale value before buying it, at that price, I'd rethink your purchase.
The OP did not mention resale, but this is the AGF. For many of the posters here, resale is always in the back (if not the front) of their mind.

As to the guitar, hey, its a Lowden. I like it already.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedymike View Post
The OP did not mention resale, but this is the AGF. For many of the posters here, resale is always in the back (if not the front) of their mind.

As to the guitar, hey, its a Lowden. I like it already.
In the original post, the OP asked: "It sounds terrific but would future buyers consider this a viable instrument or merely a novelty?"

I think a lot of us assumed this is what he implied. Which does present a factor in his decision.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

I would really like to try one of these - I have a couple turned pieces in bog oak, and some years back I had a woodturner from Ireland do some workshops in my store and he did a couple pieces in bog oak that he brought with him. A large shallow bowl turned like heavy soaking wet leather, and before it dried it was incredibly flexible, and after it dried it was nothing like the shape originally turned. I would have though that it would be some go the last material you would choose to build a guitar out of, but if Lowden finds it acceptable, then there has to be something to it -
Old 05-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot2520 View Post
.....It sounds terrific but would future buyers consider this a viable instrument or merely a novelty? Thanks for you Point of View
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedymike View Post
The OP did not mention resale, ....
Me thinks he did.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Lowden isn't the only shop using bog oak

What is bog oak:
http://turnstoneguitar.co.uk/blog/50...ght-on-bog-oak

I suppose a bog oak Lowden could put an end to acoustic gas for the rest of my life. If I wanted to sell a used one, a rosewood guitar might be easier to sell, at least in today's market. Things could be different in 5 or 10 years.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 AM

There is also this one from Avalon:

https://reverb.com/item/9428705-bran...ncient-bog-oak

Almost 50% off the Lowden price lol.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I’ve played quite a few Avalon guitars, and yes cheaper, but the voicings are different.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 AM

Deleted.....
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM

When I bought my 0-23 11 years ago I had never heard of Lowden. A 0-23 is a cedar top and bostogne walnut b/s however no matter what it was made out of I was buying it on the spot and never really considered the uncommon wood combination a possible hard to sell down the road because I knew from the onset that it was a keeper for life.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Bog oak is the best back and side material that nobody has ever played. It is a hidden treasure if you can get your hands on one. I own one and it is better than any Brazilian rosewood guitar I have ever owned or played.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Bog Oak tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by John15333 View Post
Bog oak is the best back and side material that nobody has ever played. It is a hidden treasure if you can get your hands on one. I own one and it is better than any Brazilian rosewood guitar I have ever owned or played.
The tone of Bog Oak - or the particular 5300 year old logs harvested from the swamp land of eastern England - is hard to describe. Lush overtones, with a near reverb-like quality that is unique and not easy to compare with any other back/side tonewood. Best to experience it first hand! If you’re within shouting (or driving ) distance of Buffalo NY, you should plan to test drive ours! Maybe it’s time to plan a trip to Niagara Falls, or pass through on your way up to ( or down from ) Toronto! We are located 20 minutes from the Falls, just minutes from the Canadian border...
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487
Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 AM

If you are thinking resale value, you will likely take a big loss on one of these. There is a very small market for high end guitars in unusual wood combinations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion