The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Thirty seconds, one day, once a year

A funny thing happened today while I was Christmas shopping. I went to the mall. Yes, I know it is "Suicide Sunday" (the Sunday before Christmas). Yes, I know the place is packed with last-minute shoppers who are stressed, mad, and aggressive. I mostly shop ahead to avoid this. Nevertheless, there are a couple of things I usually get for my wife that are easier to find at temporary holiday vendor's booths at the mall. Every year i take a chunk of time off before Christmas to get stuff done and make the family's Christmas process peaceful. By the time I actually go to the mall I am so chilled out that virtually nothing can break my mood. I wander around with an idiotic grin on my face, letting the stress puppy customers in line ahead of me and wishing all the sales people the best of the season. I'm sure some think I'm either brain dead or up to no good. I wished a policeman Merry Christmas last night and I'm not sure he knew what to do about it. But sometimes my attempt to be nice connects.

The mall isn't as packed with shops as it used to be - malls are no longer popular, you know. There are a lot of empty storefronts. Many of them are temporarily occupied by traveling vendors during the holidays. My wife likes calendars with puppies on them for her kitchen. Nothing in this world gives her better feelings than puppies. It's trite, but there it is and it is part of what makes her adorable. I get her a calendar each Christmas and she loves it. It's like clockwork. So once a year I go down to the mall to a particular vendor who has a great selection and choose her little slice of bliss for the year.

This year when I took the calendar (Labrador Retriever Puppies) up to the desk to purchase it I had to wait in line. It is a popular booth. When it was my turn, the lady at the register, the owner of the booth, stopped, stared at me for a second, and said, "I know you." I said, "Yep." She said, "Do you know me?" I said, "Yes I do. Every year you come to this mall and sell calendars. Every year I come down here and buy a calendar from you for my wife. I rely on you to be here." She smiled, her eyes relaxed, and she looked at me in a friendly, familiar way. I was already smiling my dopey smile, as mentioned above. We stood still for a few seconds within a calm little oasis amid the hustle and bustle and angst. We exchanged the greetings of the season with broad smiles. Then it was time for her to help the next customer and I moved on to complete my shopping.

I see her for perhaps thirty seconds, once a year, in the middle of her rush season. It has happened maybe three times. Three smiles. One customer amongst thousands and she remembered me.

I look forward to next year.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-23-2018, 09:09 PM

Now That's what the season is about ......

Good Karma to you, Bob
Old 12-23-2018, 09:28 PM

What a great story!
Old 12-23-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful story Bob. Can’t wait for the sequel.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 12-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

You've got one blessed life sir.

Myself, I'm also blessed, with my three girls, in-laws, grandkids and niece over tomorrow night for fun, food and family love.

Merry Christmas wishes from Holly Claus, who hopes you all find a nice doggy treat in your stockings this Holiday season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6025.jpg (24.2 KB, 418 views)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Happy Christmas, Bob.

My bet is she remembers you because you’re polite, calm, make eye contact. And a nice guy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks, guys.

Bob

Old 12-24-2018, 01:55 PM

Loved the story Bob! A book I have been reading suggests that instead of just walking by people, say hello. The response I get is quite amazing, in a good way. (just relating to your story of how u related to the people). OK, I ramble,

Merry Christmas Bob.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-24-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

It's not exactly the same, but whenever we return to Costa Rica, we see the same locals in the same restaurants and shops. It's so good to make that connection with someone, whom we might not see again for many months. It's a warm and rewarding feeling to make that human connection. Cheers!
Old 12-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Loved the story Bob! A book I have been reading suggests that instead of just walking by people, say hello. The response I get is quite amazing, in a good way. (just relating to your story of how u related to the people). OK, I ramble,

Merry Christmas Bob.
non sequitur.. but ...

I live in south eastern England. This area, is generally regarded to be more reserved than the rest of the country. It is also more densely populated.

There are times of day when it seems permissible to greet/acknowledge strangers, and times when it most definitely isn't, (and you can be regarded as crazy/suspicious).

There is no "law" or spoken social rule, it just seems to be a commonly accepted practice.

Strangers, greet each other in the street early in the morning, but not after an undetermined time.

I am a native southerner, but I don't understand it.

In the north, they are far more sociable. I discovered recently that some attribute this to our pre Norman division - the south west being more Anglo Saxon and defensive than the more outgoing "Viking" (Danelaw) north.

Funny people the Brits.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 PM

Merry Christmas, Bob...

ps/gfm

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 12-24-2018, 09:29 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
Merry Christmas, Bob...

ps/gfm
Thanks, and the same to you!

Bob

Old 12-25-2018, 06:52 AM

Great story Bob. I have found that a smile and a little kindness given or received goes a long way.

Merry Christmas
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

@HeyMikey - You asked about the sequel?

Yesterday I returned to the mall to pick up this year's puppy calendar for my wife. There was no crowd. I was able to find a parking place right by the mall entrance, next to the shuttered Sears complex. Once inside I encountered a remarkable quiet. There weren't any temporary booths jamming the halls. An alarming number of storefronts were closed and papered over. The mall wasn't even decorated for Christmas. I passed Santa walking away from his throne for a break. I gave him my dopey Christmas smile and he nodded back gravely, as if to acknowledge the underlying truth that there had been a profound change from the insane rush of last year.

As I began to despair of finding the calendar lady I rounded a corner and found a huge, bright, busy, gaily-decorated double-width storefront with a new sign out front proclaiming, "Calendars, Toys, and Gifts." Could this be her store? Then through the window I spotted my friend at the counter, busily holding forth and helping customers find the items they needed. I sneaked into the back of the store, found the Labrador Retriever Puppies 2020 calendar, and then joined the back of the checkout line. As I waited in line I caught my friend stealing furtive glances at me while she waited on those ahead of me. Finally it was my turn at the front of the line. She stopped, inclined her head a little, and beamed a silent, knowing smile at me.

Me: "Ah, you remember me!"
Her, turning my statement from a year ago back upon me: "Of course. I rely upon you to come down each year and buy a calendar from me. It keeps me going. How is your wife?"
Me: "She is well. Are you doing well?"
Her: "Yes!" Looking around with pride: "Can you believe the huge store they gave me this year?"
We chatted further as the sale went through and closed our moment with affectionate smiles and the same salutation from last year:

"Merry Christmas!"
"Indeed, Merry Christmas to you."

Thirty seconds, one day, once a year.

Bob

Old 12-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Bob, thanks for sharing such a great human story. After all, life is about relationships, not things. I hope 2020 you get your 30 seconds with her

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic