The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2017, 05:17 PM
Guest 1478

Default X20 set-up

Questions for those who have an Emerald X20.
My X20 will be completed soon and I need to decide what set-up specs I should ask for.
I play a bit of everything , fingerstyle/flat picking/strumming. I almost never do hard strumming.
I have Elixir nano HD lights on my Taylor and will probably use the same on the X20.
So how was your X20 set up when it arrived and what changes (if any) did you make?
Thanks.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I don't have any numbers or anything, but my X20 had a bit too much relief in the neck, which was easily addressed since Emerald includes the allen wrench to adjust it. I may shave a tad off the saddle, but not much. The Daddario EXP 80/20's that ship on the guitar sound very good, but they were pretty hard on my fingers, so I did change them after a few weeks. Congrats on getting a great guitar. I'm still in shock over how good this thing is !!
Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

An Emerald X20 Artist will be my next carbon guitar, and from the questions I've asked here, it would seem that the X20 will suit me just fine in playability, and my choice of transparent Emerald Green will look so fine!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM

X20 = fun, great sounding, easy playing and cool looking etc.....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

If you aren't a hard strummer, let the folks at Emerald know you prefer a low set-up. I didn't mention my preference on either Emerald purchase - the X7 came in a bit higher than I like, and at the first string change, I sanded the saddle, made a slight neck tweak, and it is just right for me.

I don't know if Sean was aware of my preference, but the X20 arrived with the action just the way I like it. Very similar to the way my Taylors came from the factory.

I am a strummer. I don't pound on my guitars, but I do dig in once in a while, so I don't go as low as someone who exclusively plays fingerstyle. Seems to me that a set up often has to be tailored, and not always just before you play the guitar.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Guest 1478

Thanks for the replies.
Captain, I noticed on another thread that you put Elixir HD Lights on your X20.
Are they working out ok with the original set-up or have you since decided to make adjustments with these strings fitted?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Captain, I noticed on another thread that you put Elixir HD Lights on your X20.
Are they working out ok with the original set-up or have you since decided to make adjustments with these strings fitted?
No neck adjustment necessary. I didn't notice a difference from the Lights. Still sounds great.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 PM

Hi John,

I do not have a X20, but I would like to share with you my experience with strings.

I have tried John Pearce, Elixir and Ernie Ball (Everlast) on my T8.

The T8 is a small guitar, I like it small traveler size but I need to squeeze the maximum volume out from it.

The John Pearce 20/80 is not so good on CF. It's high tensioned, and oxidized fast. Elixir is silky smooth on the finger, emits tones that sounds reverberated. But is flaky and looks like worn out cloth as you play more. This, you should know.

Now I'm on EB Everlast. Surprisingly loud and real good string notes separation , slightly tight on the tension, but if relief set right, gives you that bouncy feel. Best of all, no flake. You should give it a try too. I'm using 12s by the way, strum and fingerstyle play.

Last edited by Jimmy Koh; 06-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Guest 1478

Once again, thanks for the replies.
The Elixirs are great strings but as you said Jimmy, they tend to look a bit ragged after a while. My guitar teacher likes the sound of old strings and has had his Nanowebs on for a couple of years. His guitar looks like a clothes line!
The Everlasts sound interesting as do the Martin Flexible core lights, I'll have to do a bit of experimenting but I really do like the Elixirs.
I checked with my guitar tech about my recently set up Taylor 314ce and was told he used the standard Taylor specs (which the Captain mentioned).
Bottom E = 2mm at the 12th fret open / 1.75mm when fretted at first fret.
High e = 1.25mm at the 12th fret open / 1mm when fretted at the first fret.
These settings work really well for me and if the X20 can be rigged up the same I'll be very happy.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:41 AM

The Taylor spec I have is much higher action and close to the classic 3/32" and 2/32", low/high E, 12th fret.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-06-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
An Emerald X20 Artist will be my next carbon guitar, and from the questions I've asked here, it would seem that the X20 will suit me just fine in playability, and my choice of transparent Emerald Green will look so fine!
Pretty much what I have on order, Spruce Top. Mine, though, will be 1-7/8" at the nut with 2-5/16" string spacing at the bridge. Sean said that he'd set it up for my preferred fingerstyle playing. I hope to have it by August.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Guest 1478

Thanks Jon, a handy chart to have.
It seems I'm set up a bit lower than the Taylor spec. I actually spoke to an off-sider of my guitar tech and it seems I was misinformed.
However, I'm happy with the string height as it is (I'm usually quite a gentle player) so if Emerald can replicate my specs on the X20 I'll be good to go.

Seamus, this "waiting for an Emerald guitar" thing is exciting isn't it?

Also, glad to see another bladesmith on the forum. I am out of action till I build a new forge & workshop (have to get the house built first) but I'm looking forward to getting back into it and letting my creative juices flow. I no longer accept commissions, just make what's in my head. They are readily snapped up at a local art gallery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber