The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Default Personal Amp

I am a new Taylor NS-34-CE owner. Santa will have to bring me an amp.

The shop I play with recommends a Marshall AS-50D or Roland AC-60.

I will play for my own entertainment only, no desire to play on a stage or for any other than my family or a few friends (occassional jam with friends) but an amp will enhance the sound occasionally.

I want to keep the sound as pure as possible so electronic enhancements are not necessarily a plus.

$ is a consideration but I want bang for my $.

Recommendations?
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Personally, I use a PA speaker for my amplification of both nylon and steel string guitars. I had JBL EON-15 speakers and then moved to a Mackie SRM350 because it was smaller and easier to move around.

But I've also had Ultrasound amps and highly recommend them if you want a pure acoustic amp. Check those out first before you make a final decision.

The one thing I found with many amps other than using a PA system is that the wide angle dispersion of many amps is rather narrow. Unless you sit directly in front of the amp, if you are off to the sides, you'll lose the high frequency clarity. With a good PA speaker system, you can get a lot more "spread" of the sound quality from side to side and up and down. It's just the way good PA speakers are designed. Often the tweeters will be horn loaded to get this quality of high frequency dispersion.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Phil Jones Bass makes a very cool little acoustic guitar amp called the cub. I think the model number is AG-100. It's only the size of a toaster and weighs 11lbs. It's 100 watts and has a real hi fi sound to it.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM

I've heard wonderful things about the Ultrasound amps, so I think their reputation is well-earned. In the end, though, I personally ended up going with a Fishman Loudbox 100, as it offered an incredibly clean signal path, plus a bit more flexibility in terms of routing effects (and that was important to me). Honestly, you can't really go wrong with either Ultrasound or Fishman, though I would choose either of these over both the Roland & the Marshall. Within Ultrasound, I would look at the DS4 or the CP-100 (50 & 100 watts respectively). With Fishman, I would say to give the Loudbox 100 a listen, or, I just noticed that they now have a "mini" version of the Loudbox, for about half the price of the Loudbox 100. The new one is called the Loudbox Mini PRO-LBX-500 (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=430859), and it's got 60 watts vs the original's 100. If you don't need a whole lot of power, it might be worth saving the extra dough. Advice above all is Use Your Ears, and go with the one that sounds best to you. Good Luck, and I hope you find something that suits you.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

My classical guitar ensemble ended up with a Roland Cube Street Amp and it has been amazing. We have it operating on battery, and are using a wireless system with lavaliere mics, also operated on a 12 volt battery and an inverter. It's really quiet, and the amp is so very tweakable. It also operates 15 hours on 6 AA batteries.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:19 PM
*mahoganut*

I'll go out on a limb (I can hear the jeers already!) and say that the little Behringer AT108 is a decent, simple, low cost, good sounding amp for the use you describe.

In my living room this year ThinCrust and I were playing around with the new Baranik, and plugged in the AT108 just to check out the guitar's (Highlander) pickup. And it sounded very good.

Using the "Bob Taylor" method of gradually increasing the volume from zero (all guitar) to high enough that "all amp" was what you heard, we listened for changes in tone, and found the sound reproduction very good.

I have a ZT Lunchbox Acoustic coming, and have my Rivera Sedona Lite, so I'll have the price ranges covered from $100 to $400 to $1400, and will be A/B/Cing them at my Oklahoma AGF Gathering. I'll give - or ask one of the other AGFrs to give - a report on what we hear.

But even now I wouldn't be hesitant to recommend the AT108 if a good sounding lower priced amp (that is also very light and easy to move around!) is something of interest.

Best,

Phil

Links to AT108 online merchants:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AT10...7704062&sr=8-1

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...FQO87QodMXLqGQ

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Decisions

I really appreciate all the input but you certainly aren't making the decision easy.

Since I just sprang for the guitar Santa will have to bring the amp. It will be fun shopping and comparing.

I hope to get more input from the forum to increase my search.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 10-25-2010, 04:17 AM

a great choice could be Schertler Unico (200 watt) or David (100 watt)
http://www.schertler.com/homepage_sc...rsclas-en.html
so far better than roland and Marshall acoustic amps

Last edited by J o; 10-25-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 AM

I have a 30 watt Ultrasound that I want to say I paid about 2 Franklins for and it just gives my acoustics more volume and no color whatsover. Its more like you start hearing better and not that you plugged into an amp. Its small enough too to place under a chair and hide from view.

I own about a half dozen other electric and bass amps (with and without tubes and up to 550 watts) and its almost impossible to play an acoustic through any one of these without changing the sound.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Default To enhance or not enhance

I have a list of 12 amps now thanks to this forum and a couple outside friends. Prices range from $389 (Marshall) to a couple over $1500. I think Santa will be closer to the bottom than the top.

My initial thought was to just amplify and maintain the purity of the guitar tone (as you said) but several friends have recommended I get something that will enhance the tone when I chose.

More decisions!

My NS-34 is "out for delivery" with UPS. I feel like a kid at Christmas!
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
I have a list of 12 amps now thanks to this forum and a couple outside friends. Prices range from $389 (Marshall) to a couple over $1500. I think Santa will be closer to the bottom than the top.

My initial thought was to just amplify and maintain the purity of the guitar tone (as you said) but several friends have recommended I get something that will enhance the tone when I chose.

More decisions!

My NS-34 is "out for delivery" with UPS. I feel like a kid at Christmas!
Low price would be the Behringer AT108 at ~$70....

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Oops

I missed the price on that one. It is on my list, to include a website for it but I didn't list the price. Now I do.

Thanks

My local shop has 3 or 4 on the list (Marshall, Roland, Mackie and I think the Behringer) and I will go in this week and "A/B" them then start puttiing bugs in Mrs. Santa's ear.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 10-25-2010, 10:07 AM

I will speak up for the SWR Strawberry Blonde II. Very faithful reproduction of the unamplified guitar. THis one is marketed and used for use with all kinds of acoustic instruments, so maybe your banjo would like it too (as if it isn't already loud enough . ) It has a separate setting that likes the ES on your Taylor. I've played bass through it with good results as well. It's built for versatility. Lots of control over your sound.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
...I will play for my own entertainment only, no desire to play on a stage or for any other than my family or a few friends (occassional jam with friends) but an amp will enhance the sound occasionally.

I want to keep the sound as pure as possible so electronic enhancements are not necessarily a plus.

$ is a consideration but I want bang for my $.

Recommendations?
You're certainly getting some good recommendations, but I'm not sure everyone read your needs carefully. Or maybe they just pictured them differently from what I do. Some of the more expensive amps mentioned so far are quite nice, but seem like overkill to me, given what you told us.

I would prefer the Ultrasound AG-30 for what you've told us, or perhaps the AG-50 DS4, if you envision the need for two channels and some usable digital effects built in. I've seen some good buys on these here in our Classifieds from time to time. That's how I got my DS4 a while back, and I've been very pleased with it.

cotten
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 PM

I use a Fishman Loudbox 100 for both my steel strings and (especially) my nylon string guitar. Were the newer 60 watt Loudbox mini available when I bought the 100, I would have saved the buck$ and opted for it. I certailny don't need 100 watts in my house or even for the small gigs I get.

I also really liked the Ultrasoound AG30, but wanted the second channel for my playing partner.

Gary

........I think I hear those jingle bells
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical