The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Where do you get your Kindle e-books?

Hi all,
Bought myself a new Kindle Paperwhite as a Christmas gift.
It came with 3 free months of Kindle Unlimited.
But I am not real impressed the the selection.
I can get free e-book loans from my library but they expire too fast.
So, where do you get yours?
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2019, 10:40 AM

First off you NEVER want to borrow e-books from your library because, unlike normal library check outs, e-books are processed by a third party company, Unlike your local library which destroys your record after you return an item these companies retain your record and thus any inkling of privacy you may have had (libraries are your last bastion of privacy folks other than this one large hole).

Secondly, there is software out there that allows you to convert books of almost any e-format into Kindle's proprietary format so you can read them on your device so your not stuck with just whatever Amazon offers you.

Finally, Amazon themselves have a daily list of their "top 100" e-books PLUS a "top 100 FREE e-books" here: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ext/154606011/
Just be sure which section you're in (free to buy or not) before you agree to get the book. By using the column on the left you can actually choose sub-categories and look at (and choose from) the top free and pay books from each.

Good luck and happy reading!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:03 PM

I'm on my third Kindle over a 10 year period. I've gotten everything I've read on them from Amazon. I've only had one or two occasions where I looked for something that Amazon didn't have in Kindle format. Also, they have a ton of free stuff, especially classic literature. I'm a little bit surprised by your comment that you weren't satisfied with what they have so am curious about what you are looking for?
Old 12-20-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

My wife gets a lot of stuff from the library, but she reads incredibly fast and huge volumes, so it works great for her. I read a lot less and a lot less quickly, so I just buy books from Amazon - at my rate it's not a huge expense...

-Ray
Old 12-20-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Hey Wolf,

If you're only looking at what's available on Kindle unlimited, you may not see much of what you like. Just go to the kindle book section on amazon and search there. Now if you're looking for free books, this wont help either.

I seldom have a problem finding anything I'm looking for. And I read a huge spectrum of genre's. From Neuroscience to biographies.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 12-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Just go to the kindle book section on amazon and search there. Now if you're looking for free books, this wont help either.
Maybe you missed my post #2 above. Tons of free books on Amazon site for Kindle. Try my link, you'll like it!
Old 12-20-2019, 01:24 PM

I try to time my library system checkout so I can finish a book. I've ended up getting the print version or making a purchase for some.

I'm using the Kindle format less recently evidently being in the minority who's liking the $10 a month News+ from Apple. That's getting me most of the 4x more Wall Street Journal, other newspapers, and lots of magazines.
Old 12-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I gave up dealing with 3rd party books years ago due to constant formatting issues. If you'd like to give it a shot, try Calibre software. Personally I think it's a PIA to convert and deal with formatting issues.

I'm a book junkie and use Kindle unlimited for most of my reading. I'll browse through my favorite genres and then read the reviews and capsule descriptions. But I don't hesitate to buy a book from any of my favorite authors. Check out goodreads.com for reviews.

I have a new rule that if I'm part way through a book and decide I don't like it I bail. Bailing is ok up to maybe 40% through; after that I feel committed.

You will LOVE the kindle.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 12-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
First off you NEVER want to borrow e-books from your library because...
Thanks for the heads up, I am really not much concerned with privacy as I feel we all pretty much gave it up years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil View Post
I'm a little bit surprised by your comment that you weren't satisfied with what they have so am curious about what you are looking for?
It was the free/$10.00 per month unlimited that I am not impressed with and plan to cancel when the free trial is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Wolf,

If you're only looking at what's available on Kindle unlimited, you may not see much of what you like.
Yes, that was what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
I'm a book junkie and use Kindle unlimited for most of my reading. Check out goodreads.com for reviews.

You will LOVE the kindle.
Yeah, I have used Goodreads reviews for years.
So far I do love it and especially the built in light.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:51 PM

I've been using bookbub for a couple of years. They send me a daily list of discounted ebooks in genres that I prefer. Prices are range from free to $2.99.
https://www.bookbub.com/welcome

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-21-2019, 05:36 AM

Calibre is sort of like iTunes for books. It will let you convert, store, and transfer via cable or email books to your Kindle. I know the gentleman that wrote it, and he's a very good guy. He keeps it updated and is meticulous about documentation. It's also shareware with no limitations. It can do things like go out on the Web, convert certain pages and then send them to your Kindle. It's a godsend if you get books that are in the public domain (free) and want to put them on your Kindle. A few sites to get free public-domain books are:
I'm an avid reader and collector and I've worked with authors and publishers and even published a couple of things way back when. If you have any difficulties, please contact me and I'll walk you through it. Congrats on the Kindle, I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment out of it. I've honestly never seen or heard of a piece of technology that holds up as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic