The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 AM
Dane Johnson Dane Johnson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Default Slotted Headstock Tuner winding direction

I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but Iím pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 AM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,573
Default

All strings should wind over the top of each post.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 AM
Quickstep192 Quickstep192 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Johnson View Post
I understand the concept of re-stringing Slotted Headstocks, but Iím pricing something in every single video:

It appears that all of the tuners (E-A-D) and (g-b-e) all turn the same direction?

On all of my other Acoustics this is obviously NOT the case:
The Top facing Tuners turn Clockwise while the Bottom tuners turn Counter clockwise.

Can anyone speak to this?

Yep, thatís how they are and itís a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, Iíd expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM
JonWint JonWint is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: 1 hr from Nazareth
Posts: 523
Default

On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 AM
merlin666 merlin666 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada Prairies
Posts: 2,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Yep, thatís how they are and itís a mystery to me. With the buttons facing the direction they do, Iíd expect them to mimic old style friction tuners where the basses turn clockwise and the trebles turn counter clockwise.
Yes that confused the heck out of me. I have a slotted headstock 12 string guitar that I was used to, then last year got two ukuleles with friction tuners where I tend to turn the tuners in the "wrong" direction ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2019, 09:55 AM
Dane Johnson Dane Johnson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
On solid headstocks the base strings wind (tighten) counter clockwise around the posts. The treble side wind clockwise around the posts.

Slotted headstock strings all tighten the same direction on the posts.
Thank you for clearing this up. I canít see how any of the tuners could wind any other way than over the top and way from the Nut, as mentioned in an above post.

Iím curious why they have been designed in this fashion. It lends to the numerous other forum questions that start ďIíve restrung the wrong way, does it matter?Ē
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
restringing, slotted headstock, tuning up

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=