The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Default Buzzing

I have had an NS-34 for a week today. My first experience with a nylon.

It seems a little unforgiving; unless I fret pretty accurately I get a buzz on most strings. Is this just a learning curve with a nylon or should I look for a setup remedy? If it is characteristic and will improve as I improve I can live with it for a while. I have never buzzed this bad on steel strings.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Finger closer to the actual fret bar. Right on top of it if you have to.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:47 PM

I will try it, thanks. I assume that works with barre cords which are very different on a nylon.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 PM
osweetmelody

How long have you been playing, mate?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Off and on for 53 years. Much, much more off than on.

My first lessons were steel guitar at 7 years old. Country style electric lessons as a young teen then self taught surf music for several years to include playing in a band. Banjo for a few years about 20 years ago. Bought another acoustic >10 years ago, tried self teaching finger style (not classical)and failed.

I started lessons in earnest the end of August this year. Bought my nylon 2 weeks ago.

I am trying to prove you can in fact teach an old dog new tricks (or maybe just tricks?).

I am enjoying myself and pleased with my progress though sometimes get a little frustrated.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
osweetmelody

Do you have a preferred guitar technician nearby? My natural instinct (if nobody can provide help through the forums) is to go talk with my technician and see what he thinks.

I've never purchased a guitar with "perfect" action. Even Taylors I've seen, they are usually low/bearable, but can be adjusted to be even better.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but I think it would be worthwhile to discuss it with your guitar tech, and see if he can do a setup/adjustment to suit your playing style and make the guitar easier to play.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM

This is from delcamp.us Classical Guitar FAQ

Quote:
8. What are the advantages of different tension strings?

As with makes of strings, the best tension strings for your guitar will depend both on your own playing style, and on the guitar itself. Hand built guitars are often made to suit a particular tension of strings, and will not work as well if you change the tension.

Generally:
Hard tension strings can give more volume, they tend to buzz less, and allow for greater dynamic range. They are slightly more difficult to play, particularly for the left hand.

Mediums can give more tone colour variation, and are slightly easier on the left hand, but buzz more than the hard tensions. Vibrato is also easier with medium tension strings.

Low tension strings are rarely used, but may be well suited to period instruments, or guitars with very thin tops.
For a few dollars, the first thing I'd do is to give a set of hard tension strings a shot.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM

I got a lot from the links you sent. I think the issue is what was said in a lot of the discussion in the link; technique. The more I play the less buzz I get.

BTW, it already has hard tension strings.
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Now don't go falling in love with nylon-stringed guitars! It's been known to happen.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 PM

I visited my son today and picked up his solid body electric. Didn't look for a pick and tried to slice the tips of my right fingers off!

I am hooked on nylon!
2010 Taylor NS-34-CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical