The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!
Default Bridge Re-Glue/Replacement

Has anyone ever had bridge work done on their classical, and if so, how did it turn out? I've been mulling over a possible bridge re-glue for a few weeks now, but I'm curious to know how these things usually turn out. I have a few really good luthiers and repair people to choose from, but I really don't want to be able to tell the bridge was removed and reglued once it's all said and done, and I've heard terrible tales about chipped finish and so on, mainly around the bridge site. One of the fears I have is that heating the bridge to soften the glue for removal might also damage the finish that has been applied to the bridge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 AM

I had carpal tunnel operations on both my hands; so I didn't play for about 10 years. The guitar stayed safely in the case.

Fast for the clock, I am ready to play again. I open the case and see the bridge up by the head. I am sick. I brought it to a friend of mine who makes fine furniture. He glued it back, with glue that he said would never come off. It hasn't! The job he did was perfect There is not a sign of it being reglued. I would say it has been 7 years.

Bring it to a qualified luthier, it will be as good as new.

Tom C.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM

I've had the bridge reglued on a Takamine classical that I used to have and on my Kohno/Sakurai. The repair on the Kohno/Sakurai is about 20 years old and it's holding up fine. You can't tell it's been reglued. Don't know about the Takamine as I sold it back to the original owner about two years after the bridge reglue. The same luthier did both the classical reglues, though, so I'm sure that if the guitar is still around, it's also holding up well. The key, as silverfox103 states, is taking it to a competent luthier. I've had a total of three bridge reglues done (three different guitars) in the last 50 years and you couldn't tell the work had ever been done on any of them. If the bridge is lifting, you don't want to ignore it. It won't heal itself and will only get worse.

If you have more than one luthier in your area from which to choose, ask people you know who've had work done by them and get their opinions as to who does the best work for the best price. If you can see examples of their repairs, so much the better.

Last edited by dawhealer; 11-07-2010 at 04:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical