The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Yes, the Cervantes is the answer.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM

I would agree that once you play Nylon, you acquire a taste for it and prefer it. There are drawbacks though... 1) nylon strings don't bend well for the blues/rock/lead lines players 2) arguably they don't strum as well for basic chords and 3) calluses on the fingers don't form as quickly as steel string players 4) wider fretboards for small fingers for learning is nt as good.... BUT 1) easier to finger less tension- easier to play 2) arguably more versatile overall ... and 3) Willie Nelson plays one...

If all you want to do is strum cowboy chords and play some blues stuff, get a steel,(Willie is about the ONLY one who plays what he does on nylon) if you want to taste fingerstyle, classical, flamenco, pop, jazz, rock, blues more intricately, a nylon is arguably a better choice and a more sensible one for learning on. REMEMBER to NEVER put steel strings on a nylon guitar (the bracing is not made for steel string tension) and Hybrids, meaning putting nylon strings on a guitar made with the same neck width as a steel might season you to step into a steel string more comfortably and be better for smaller hands but in the end you lose some versatility in my view.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
osweetmelody

I think this may be a silly (newbie) question, but why don't we see people strumming with a Nylon? I have never seen anyone strum with a pick on a classical guitar, but I never thought to ask - why? And I've never tried to for myself since I've only played a few Nylons while at friend's houses.

What is it about the steel string that makes it much more of a preference for strumming chords?

I'm torn here, I like the combination of strumming but enjoy the sound of a nylon (although I have only played a few). I think to explain the style I like, Mraz would be a good example. It seems like an intricate combination of strumming & with applications of fingerpicking.

So as you guys might have seen in other threads, I aim to get a crossover model around next year (something like a Taylor NS). I think this will be a good choice, because I think the sound of the Nylon is beautiful, but I can also play a more strumming style. But will I have to drop the pick and learn to strum with my RH fingers?

Advice on this topic? Please! (and thank you)
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM

I strum mine all the time. However, I am not heavy handed. I put my 2 fingers together as if they were holding a pick. It works just the same. I am very precise. There is no top damage. You are only limited to what you limit yourself. I love the peecussive strum of a nylon. Flamenco players have mastered it. If you desire to use a pick or fear damage, get a clear pick guard. They also have a non permanent static cling clear one.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
... I have committed myself to the TH5, however; the thing is, I got to play a TH5 some time ago and loved it. Its slimmer profile neck meant that even a few thumb-wraps weren't completely out of the question.
Not to be dogmatic, but your classical neck plays better with classical technique... period. Forget the thumb wraps and other steel string technique... come over to the Dark Side. It will change everything for you if you focus on classical technique.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osweetmelody View Post
I think this may be a silly (newbie) question, but why don't we see people strumming with a Nylon? I have never seen anyone strum with a pick on a classical guitar, but I never thought to ask - why? And I've never tried to for myself since I've only played a few Nylons while at friend's houses.

What is it about the steel string that makes it much more of a preference for strumming chords?

I'm torn here, I like the combination of strumming but enjoy the sound of a nylon (although I have only played a few). I think to explain the style I like, Mraz would be a good example. It seems like an intricate combination of strumming & with applications of fingerpicking.

So as you guys might have seen in other threads, I aim to get a crossover model around next year (something like a Taylor NS). I think this will be a good choice, because I think the sound of the Nylon is beautiful, but I can also play a more strumming style. But will I have to drop the pick and learn to strum with my RH fingers?

Advice on this topic? Please! (and thank you)
Its a just a matter of the style of music you are listening to. A strummed nylon doesn't have the sustain of a steel string and has a harder time cutting through the mix of pop instruments in typical bands. Those of us who play nylon in those situations tend to fulfill a different role then acoustic players
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Does that mean that I will be able to sing now that I own a nylon?
Depends on how tight the nylons are!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical