The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-31-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Hard to play?

I'm always reading posts from people complaining that a standard 2" nut on a classical/nylon string guitar is too wide for them, and too hard to play; that they prefer the narrow nut of a steel string guitar (like 1-11/16")... Am I the only person out there who feels the exact opposite? I can get around on a classical neck MUCH better than I can on a standard steel string. I can't even PLAY a guitar with a 1-11/16" nut (try playing a Bmin7 flat5, or a D7 flat9 on one of those, and you'll see what I'm talking about!). In fact, when I bought my most recent steel string, I was specifically looking for one that had as wide a nut as I could possibly get; as close to "a classical with steel strings" as was available (which turns out to be 1-7/8" for a steel string), which is what I got. Does anyone else feel that classical/nylon string guitars are, in fact, EASIER to play than standard steel string guitars?
Old 10-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Musical minimalist

if they are set up correctly, yes......and I also prefer 1 13/16 or 1 7/8 steel strings, dependent on the neck profile.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM

Cool

I play 3 different guitars on a regular basis. A hollowbody electric with a 1 5/8 nut, a steel string acoustic with a 1 11/16 nut and a classical with a 2 inch nut. Maybe because I have been doing it for so long, I have no problem going from one to the other. I do use a different style of playing on each. Flat pick on the electric and steel and finger style with nails on the classical.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Hope View Post
Does anyone else feel that classical/nylon string guitars are, in fact, EASIER to play than standard steel string guitars?
Eric...I agree with you 110%. I was a longtime steel string player who switched completely to nylon back in 2006 (found out I was highly allergic to nickel!!!). Like most steel-stringers delving into the nylon world, I opted for the "crossover" standard of 1 7/8" nut width. I even commissioned a very nice custom nylon with a 1 7/8' in. After a couple of years playing on crossovers, I learned some classical position technique and suddenly realized classical guitars with a wider neck are actually easier to play than crossovers with 1 7/8" nut width. Nylon strings are wider than steel strings and the extra space between strings allows more room for proper fingering.

Funny...I still have a nice 1997 Ovation nylon that has the narrower 1 7/8" width nut and it seems so cramped when I try to play it.

My current Rodrigo Moreira classicals are 51mm and 53mm nut width respectively. And they play beautifully.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Eric...I agree with you 110%. I was a longtime steel string player who switched completely to nylon back in 2006 (found out I was highly allergic to nickel!!!). Like most steel-stringers delving into the nylon world, I opted for the "crossover" standard of 1 7/8" nut width. I even commissioned a very nice custom nylon with a 1 7/8' in. After a couple of years playing on crossovers, I learned some classical position technique and suddenly realized classical guitars with a wider neck are actually easier to play than crossovers with 1 7/8" nut width. Nylon strings are wider than steel strings and the extra space between strings allows more room for proper fingering.

Funny...I still have a nice 1997 Ovation nylon that has the narrower 1 7/8" width nut and it seems so cramped when I try to play it.

My current Rodrigo Moreira classicals are 51mm and 53mm nut width respectively. And they play beautifully.
any chance you got one or both of the Moreira's from Wally?

I'm looking hard at his Lowden.

Oh, i ordered me up one of the Blue Herons-Ken had access to a coffee brown color and will trim it in black so i think it will look very classy.
thanks for your help on that one.

daryl
Old 10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Wink

i've always been drawn to slightly wider, fuller necks. My most recent guitar that i'm finding is just about perfect for me, is 1 13/16" nut width with what i would call a full shouldered C profile. 2 5/16" saddle string spacing-its a 12 fret steel stringer but is almost identical in proportions and setup to my Conde Flamenco(which is just the most easy guitar i've found to play). I love all guitars but i end up cramping too much on anything less than 1 3/4" width nut builds and finding i don't fully care for those as much any more.

daryl
Old 10-31-2010, 06:37 PM

Thumb-fretters are often the ones who complain about 2" nuts being difficult to play.

As we say in the trade, it's "user error".
Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
any chance you got one or both of the Moreira's from Wally?
Daryl:

I did buy my 2006 Moreira Hauser copy from Wally. It was my first standard nut width classical guitar (51mm) and it is my go to guitar...I absolutely love the Hauser. I purchased a 2010 Moreiro Jeff Elliot copy directly from Rodrigo back in January. Give that guitar another year to play in and it will be right up there with the Hauser.

Good to hear you went with the Blue Heron gig bag. Excellent choice!

Fred
Old 11-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Over the summer I traded a Gibson electric for a classical guitar with a 52mm nut. At first I thought I'd never be able to get used to it, but after a while I've come to prefer the wide neck, and now feel cramped on a narrower one.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
Thumb-fretters are often the ones who complain about 2" nuts being difficult to play.

As we say in the trade, it's "user error".
I'm not a thumb fretted nor do I believe the classical technique is the only way to play a guitar. Some do have physical limitations and it is not always just the width of the neck. The radius also can be challenging. I for one cannot play a flat profile. But the 2" nut width is no problem.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 AM

Default its all good

I do fine with a 2 inch nut width,, but im used to it
I like a little smaller,, i just wish my classicals were
radiused instead of flat... other than that im ok
i sometime still stick my Kentucky thumb around the
sixth string,, but its easier with a narrow neck..

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical