The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 09:40 AM

$500 could get quite a spectacular guitar. Here is a list of what I have seen just over the past couple days at $500 or less. I really only have interest in small body acoustics but I have little doubt that the larger counterparts are similarly priced. These guitars are not only solid woods but incorporate features you might not find until you hit the $1K + mark from authorities on the matter.

Yamaha FSTA (used and new on sale)$499

Recording King RO-327 (Adirondack top Solid Rosewood B&D, Scalloped Bracing) Used of course but I have seen a couple under $500 or the RD227/126

Blueridge BR143A Plenty of em BR140 if yo uneed a larger guitar , i am sure a lucky find on a BR163 happens often for that price.

Quite a few Martin all solid Wood Road series guitars in small body and dreadnought in the $500 shipped or plus shipping range.

I hear Tacoma guitars are excellent and I would certainly explore any Masterworks series by Alvarez.

The Epiphone series are nice but I have only played one

Try to get something with a more discreet pickup rather than one with a 1/2lb of electronics and plastic muffling the tone. Or better yet, use a mic where you can.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 AM

Elderly Instruments is currently awaiting the arrival of their new house models from Farida. These, Based on their description, should be something of an economical likeness of a J45. Their OT 22 model, which are sort of an LG body type, have gotten really great reviews from owners.

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/prod.../category/816/

I owned a Masterbilt j45me and it was a really good sounding, great playing guitar. Also, AMI, the German company that brought the Sigma guitar brand back to life will be bringing some of their line back to the USA, under the AMI name. They might have a couple of models with J45 type specs within your current budget https://www.ami-guitars.com/guitars/sg-series/jm-sge/
Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM

The Yamaha transacoustics are really incredible, for sure.

Weren't a lot of people raving about the Seagull Mini Jumbo that they no longer make?

There definitely are a lot of choices that could keep you happy for years.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 AM

You may wrinkle up your nose but one of the more pleasant surprises I stumbled on was the Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat. I did not have a clue who Tim Armstrong was and was not expecting much but this little guitar (which is loosely based on a 1960s Harmony-built Fender) impressed the heck out of me. Then there is, of course , as Ed points out, the venerable old Harmony Sovereign 1260s. I like them so much I own three.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-07-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 AM

The president of our local acoustic musicians' collective has a sunburst Epiphone EL-00 hog-top that he uses as his on-stage go-to for fingerstyle blues/acoustic classic rock (among other styles), and while Epiphone discontinued the 'burst finish MF still carries the natural version for around $400 as advertised; speaking as the owner of an Ultra 339 the "Slim-Taper D" is anything but slim or tapered, instead being a chunky, cheeky hard-D profile that bears absolutely no relation to its slick-playing Gibson counterpart, but IME some guys like 'em - if you're a member of the "skinny-string/fat-neck" school of thought it may just be right up your alley...

Of course, you could always buy a $150 beater and save your money for a real guitar like that Gibson J-15 - played a bunch, never met one that I didn't like, and some that I absolutely loved...
Old 08-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Don't skip Ovation in your search. In the 70s and 80s they were the go to guitar for a lot of players. Although there are complaints about unplugged they def sound better through an amp.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Recording King, Blueridge, or Eastman are great value guitars. Also like Seagulls. Figure out the size and specs you want and narrow down from there.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 08-07-2018, 01:13 PM

If you like Gibson's J-Type guitars, give the Epiphone Texan a chance. Same slope shoulder form, and solid top and back for a good price. Very warm sound and good playability as well.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-19-2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Fixed videos
Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I’d get a Yamaha FG800 and put the rest towards saving for a Gibson.
Agree on this Yamaha makes a very good guitar
Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

The AJ-45 sounds more like a Waterloo than anything else, at least the one I played (as compared to videos of Waterloos I've watched) Get out to the stores and see what you can find used. I picked up a Guild D-120ce all solid hog in excellent condition for under $500 at Sam Ash last year. Stuff is out there, but you have to shop around.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-18-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post

Weren't a lot of people raving about the Seagull Mini Jumbo that they no longer make?

There definitely are a lot of choices that could keep you happy for years.
From one bird to another, I second your opinion there. My SWS Mini Jumbo is here in my lap, every day. But the OP should look at Art & Lutherie's latest offerings. They're aiming hard for a '30s, Americana hipster style, with sunburst and denim tops. All come with electronics, top-mounted dials and all. And I think they're about the target price.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 08-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmtele View Post
Hi
I am searching for a acoustic to play classic rock and blues. I play alot of Zeppelin , stones and a mix of 70s and 80s classic rock and like to fingerpick some blues also.What are some acoustics under $500 that i should take a look at? I realky like the epiphone masterbilt aj-45me alot.i am saving up for a gibson j15 or j35 but i need a good cheap acoustic to play on till i can get the gibson that i want.
Thanks for your help and advise,
James
Unless you have the need for a 2nd guitar, I dont see why will spend 500$ on a guitar while still waiting to get money for a j15 or 35.

At the end, it will postponed the purchase of your main guitar and you will spend more.

But if you need to keep it as a second guitar, that's ok but think if you want -at the end- something similar as your future jx5 or a different type of guitar which is also nice to have (like a parlor for example).
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 PM

The Yamaha everyone is suggesting is good, FG800 or FG830. They are consistent and very good for what they are. I would recommend a used Martin X series guitar as well such as a DX1. Not bad at all for an inbetween guitar until you get your Gibson and it should be very good for Zeppelin and Rolling Stones stuff. The Maseterbilt Epiphones are worth a look too but you have to play it first, in my experience they are hit or miss. You're don't want to end up with a dud. The Epiphone Inspired by Texan is a great guitar too for the money.

Someone else in here suggested a 60s Harmony Sovereign, I have one and it is a ridiculously good guitar for the money. However since they are so old they may have little quirks such as stiff tuners or worn frets. I love mine but I use it as a second guitar for more unique tones. With its ladder bracing and unknown 50-60 year history I don't know if I would recommend it to you as your only guitar until you get a Gibson. However they are very good guitars and Jimmy Page did famously use one, you can hear it on That's the Way, Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, Gallows Pole, Stairway to Heaven, and more. Also Syd Barrett of Pink Floyd and Pete Townshend of The Who had them, as did Keith Richards (he used the 12 string version though)

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I’d get a Yamaha FG800 and put the rest towards saving for a Gibson.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 09-30-2018, 08:54 PM

So tell us, which guitar did you finally get?
I'm late to this thread but I totally agree with those recommending the Yamaha FG800 or 830. The 830 has a phenomenal sound compared to dreadnoughts in the sub $1000 category, and I've played a ton. And for $299, it's an incredible value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion