The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default mic stand recommendations

I figured this is the place to ask a practical question about gear. When we formed a duo a couple years ago I pickup up some cheap mic stands, tripod base with an adjustable boom. They have worked well but are predictably stripping out the inexpensive hardware and increasingly not working. What are recommendations for solid mic stands that will hold up. I'd rather not replace mine with another round of disposable stands. I wouldn't say that cost is no object, but I surely don't mind paying for quality. In the distant past I used the weighted based stands to good effect so don't require that recommendations include tripod bases.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:12 AM

If I am driving I use one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Pro/...coping-Boom.gc

It's excellent and sturdy (just don't overtighten the threads of course).

If I take public transport I have a medium weight Peavey stand which I made a shoulder bag for, I love that one too.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:37 AM

I've been through a bunch of cheap ones over the years. One of the Guitar Center DR-Pro's, however, has been in use for a long time and has never failed.

Even better are a pair of Atlas T3364 tripod stands with accompanying B2237 telescoping boom. I found these used on craigslist last year, and they are wonderfully secure and sturdy stands. As my remaining cheaper stands fail, I will be replacing them with more of those Atlas stands.

https://www.atlasied.com/microphone-stands-tripod

Louis
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I, too, can recommend the DR Pro. I have a 9 of them that have been used for years and all of them work just as well as the day I bought them. I even lend them out and they come back working.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:31 AM

I think I've tried them all except the Triad-Orbit (can't bring myself to spend that much). Two of the best are the DR-Pro and the Atlas series. You pay more, but they take forever to fail. Gator-Frameworks and K&M aren't awful but they're lesser IMO.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM

I've been using a Tama boom stand for the past couple of years and it is rock solid and high quality.

http://www.tamamicstands.com

I use the MS205 from their Standard line, and understand that their Iron Works stands are even more robust.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 PM

The K&M 210/9 is the industry standard, and what nearly every sound company uses because they just work. For years and years. And if you do manage to break one, parts are readily available.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
The K&M 210/9 is the industry standard, and what nearly every sound company uses because they just work. For years and years. And if you do manage to break one, parts are readily available.
I agree 100%. I use a K&M (Konig and Meyer) that was given to me by a friend who owns a sound production company, as it was 3 years old, and due for replacement as per the company rotation policy. I have been using it for 5 years without a single problem, which is rare for me as I tend to get heavy handed and strip out threads. I also use a K&M tablet holder which I believe is second to none in quality and usability.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Where I work we've got five studios and a full-sized P.A. rig all supplied with K&M stands. They hold up really, really well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-18-2018, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I've been using a Tama boom stand for the past couple of years and it is rock solid and high quality.

http://www.tamamicstands.com

I use the MS205 from their Standard line, and understand that their Iron Works stands are even more robust.
I want to second this recommendation. Been using the MS205 stands for years in my studio and for gigging. They are solid as can be, easy to adjust, and I never fear the position will change after being set. Only down side is they are heavy to lug around for gigging.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 PM

DR Pro for me. Have a few and all are beat to hell, but work flawlessly.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Another vote for the K&M stands. After throwing away way too many cheap mic stands I decided to pay more and it has proven to be well worth it.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:13 PM

Default mic stand recommendations

I really like the Hercules MS401B. Instead of a boom it angles up towards the player. I find this still gives plenty of room for standing or sitting with a guitar and I can easily adjust it with one hand with the guitar strapped on.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Default Mic stands

Have been using K&M stands for years with absolutely no issues.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the recommendations it gives me many options. I've ordered an Atlas stand and will surely consider some of the other options you've all suggested for a second mic stand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification