The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Review of TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2

After observing that most people playing paid gigs are now using some form of vocal processor I decided to try and find a simple unit to combine dynamic EQ, compression, Reverb and Pitch Correction. I wanted to keep cost under $200 and I wanted it to run on batteries or 9v power. This led me to the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2.

The Mic Mechanic 2 is the second generation Mic Mechanic pedal from TC Helicon. TC Helicon proudly markets the Mic Mechanic and Mic Mechanic 2 as "crowd sourced" claiming that the device was conceptualized at a NAMM show a few years back when they noticed many customers coming to their booth asking for a simple vocal pedal that delivers noise gate, compression, EQ, reverb and pitch correction. The Mic Mechanic 2 improves on the original Mic Mechanic in it can run on batteries and when on power now uses a standard 9V adapter. Reverb and Echo have also been split out and the second generation unit has dynamic EQ.

The echo, reverb and pitch correction features can be used independent of each other. However the Noise gate, dynamic compression dynamic EQ and de-esser have no adjustable parameters and are all turned on or off by a single Tone button on the top of the device. On back the unit features balanced (XLR) line in and out, a power on/off switch and a USB port for firmware updates. To provide this demo I'm using a Sure SM58 vocal microphone connect to the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 running out to a Fishman Loudbox Mini amp. Recorded with a TASCAM DR-40 portable digital recorder placed about 4 feet from the amp. No post processing on the recording. Guitar in this case is a Gibson WM-45 with LR Baggs Anthem pickup system plugged direct into Loudbox Mini.

Linking to a Soundcloud audio clips below

Demo #1
Recordings for Clips A and B: TASCAM internal mic. Mic is about five feet from amp, likely picking up some open air vocal. Reverb on the track is natural from the room.
Clip A
Mic Mechanic 2 Turned OFF. EQ on amp flat with all dials at 12 O'clock. Reverb on amp off.

Clip B
Mic Mechanic 2 Tone features (noise gate, compressor, de-esser, pitch correction) turned On. Mic Mechanic 2 echo and reverb turned off. EQ on amp flat with all dials at 12 O'clock. Reverb on amp off.

Demo #2
Clip C
Recording for Clip C: Recorded from balanced line out on Loudbox Mini amp direct into TASCAM. No open air vocal or room reverb is being picked up on this clip. Each song part is repeated. First version you hear of each song is with TC Helicon turned off. Second clip of each song is with it turned on.

I think I will need to spend more time with this pedal to form a firm opinion, but after a few days of use my first impressions are-

The good:
The TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 does a good job of giving a live vocal a more polished studio sound. This helps the vocal stand out in the mix at the cost of loosing some warmth. The Pitch Correction on the device is what TC Helicon calls "soft pitch correction" it has a rolling off effect and doesn't give you the robotic artificial tone even when maxed but things begin to sound processed the more it's applied. Turned up about half way or just little below 12 o'clock on the dial and it's a welcome addition.

The not so good:
The Noise Gate, Compressor and Dynamic EQ and De-esser are all grouped into a single On/Off option with no controls. This was done to keep things simple and cost down and it works alright, but I felt the Noise Gate combined with the Compressor really striped a lot of the character/dynamics I was going for out. Using any vocal processor is going to be a trade off with the benefit of more accurate pitch and helping the vocal stand out in the mix at the sacrifice of some of the nuanced character the vocalist may try to add being stripped away. This is just what happens when you gate and compress a signal. For this reason, some may find this device better suited for high volume up tempo songs than slower numbers. That's subjective to say, though. The dynamics you loose on lower tempo numbers aren't worth anything if the vocal is muffled. The Mic Mechanic 2 makes sure the vocals always stand out in the mix. Overall a bit of a mixed bag, but a very nice tool for the toy box and at $150 the price makes it within reach of just about everyone. Overall, it's a great product at the right price.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 11-14-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 AM

We used them a lot this year (I bought three). They're awesome when combined with our inexpensive Blue enCore 100's (2 for $100), our Miktek PM9, and our Shure Super 55 Deluxe. We don't use the reverb or echo at all. But the compression and EQ make mics very easy to use (almost no popping) and vocals "float" higher in the mix.

I wish they made a unit with no echo feature and 48v phantom power.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:49 PM

I have one and like the reverbs and "polish," as you said, that it gives to the vocal. It does definitely help put the vocals out front in a good way. Haven't really noticed it sucking the warmth out. As for the pitch correction, I can't stand it. If you can't sing, you shouldn't be performing.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the review!

I didn't hear a huge difference with the mic mechanic but I thought the vocal came out a little more to the forefront with it on; but it could also be that the reverb was a lot less thru the pedal. I would be interested in hearing a little more reverb with some delay added too from the mic mechanic; and/or leaving the Mini's reverb on and pedal's reverb off, to see how the vocal is affected; and vocals with no effects too while we're at it!

Sorry, I don't mean to make you work too hard but I do appreciate the review and just some other comparisons I'd be interested in hearing.

Also, what's the name of that song?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Thanks for the review!

I didn't hear a huge difference with the mic mechanic but I thought the vocal came out a little more to the forefront with it on; but it could also be that the reverb was a lot less thru the pedal. I would be interested in hearing a little more reverb with some delay added too from the mic mechanic; and/or leaving the Mini's reverb on and pedal's reverb off, to see how the vocal is affected; and vocals with no effects too while we're at it!

Sorry, I don't mean to make you work too hard but I do appreciate the review and just some other comparisons I'd be interested in hearing.

Also, what's the name of that song?
Listening back to the recording I put up I realize it's not the greatest for demonstrating... The song is Demons by Imagine Dragons. Trying to think of the best way to capture a cleaner recording that isn't so muffled... I may try to record direct but it will be a few days before I can get around to it. In the meantime, here are a few other demos showing off some of the effects and reverbs.

One of the vendors videos. Biased of course, but it gives a good demonstration of setup.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 11-10-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the vids!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 PM

I was in Nashville a few weeks ago and I noticed several performers (single and duo) had these devices. I always thought these pedals were for guys like me who performed ocassionally and not people who performed every night. I was glad to see tools I use also being used by people who make a living with their craft. I guess that probably desribes some of you guys.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:09 PM

Late to the conversation here but I just picked one of these up also. It seems great when for when you can't rely on a sound person or need to manage stuff yourself. Just set it and forget it - also a killer front end to something like a Bose L1 Compact or PA without a mixer (that's how I use it).

I do not have any issues with my pitch but sometimes an environment or loud accompaniment can throw off what you here and sing (especially with a pitchy backup singer or loud bass frequencies collecting and messing up your self monitoring). I actually love the pitch correction (just a touch ~25-33%) as it provides me with a check. As the singer, you can tell if you are getting nudged and its good feedback (and sounds pretty natural). If I were solo it would probably not be necessary but in a band/unknown environment context its nice to have.

Reverb is pretty good, I have not really found a delay that I like so I leave it off or sometimes put it on the lowest setting just to add a very little bit. The EQ might not be perfect but it does let you cut through and be heard - like a tube screamer pedal does for electric guitar.

I'd rather have a sound engineer and great monitoring but when you are by yourself its pretty nice to just plug and know you will get pretty good-to-great tone. I always hate playing and manning a small mixer so I would rather just use something like this into a bose.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I wish they made a unit with no echo feature and 48v phantom power.
I am very glad they came out with a new version because that is the reason I was able to pick up a brand new original unit for $70 on a closeout sale.

Like BW, my only complaint is the lack of 48v phantom power. Other than that, I love this thing.

Steve
Old 08-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I have one and like it. I also have a Boss Ve-2, which has the same functions but with a harmonizer as well (similar to the Harmony Singer pedal). I like the warmth it adds and don't see it taking away any of the dynamics or tone. I don't really use the Mic Mechanic 2 anymore since I bought the Boss, so if anyone is looking for a deal, send me an e-mail.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 08-17-2018 at 07:09 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification