The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Fishman Loudbox Mini DI'ed into a powered speaker?

Has anyone DI'ed their Loudbox Mini (or other small combo acoustic amp) into a powered speaker? If so, results? What powered speaker have you used?

A small, light, highly portable, good sounding, combo acoustic amp that can be DI'ed into a powered speaker seems to me to be the optimum solution for a solo acoustic performer.

The small amp should be enough for small venues, add the powered speaker for mid-sized venues, and go directly into the PA for large venues.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 AM

I use the Performer, Artist and Mini Loudbox amps primarily as my Monitors/mixing board. Once I get my balance and proper mix, I DI out to my EV powered speakers, daisy chaining those. It has been a great set up for me.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Has anyone DI'ed their Loudbox Mini (or other small combo acoustic amp) into a powered speaker? If so, results? What powered speaker have you used?

A small, light, highly portable, good sounding, combo acoustic amp that can be DI'ed into a powered speaker seems to me to be the optimum solution for a solo acoustic performer.

The small amp should be enough for small venues, add the powered speaker for mid-sized venues, and go directly into the PA for large venues.
I once did kind of the opposite. I DI'ed my Mini from my SA 330 X on a strangely shaped patio. Worked great. I also ran a DI out from My Sa 330 to my QSC K10.2. Also worked out fine.

Now I just use two QSC K 10.2s and a Yamaha MG 10XU mixer along with my Play Acoustic that I always use, for gigs to big for my SA 330. There isn't that much more to carry and set up, and it covers anything I have had to do so far. I love the flexibility I have now!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

I use my Fishman Artist di into my JBL EON10 and it works great.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post

* It works great Ed I had a Mini and another local artist/friend needed an amp so I sold him mine and he does exactly that...DI out to his powered speaker then uses it by itself for lil' cafe gigs, sounds excellent.

** I still use the Artist and mostly my two Performers; when I need more I DI mix out into a Presonus Air 10 powered speaker, again sounds excellent.

eric
Old 08-15-2018, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I hope Rokdog will weigh in here as he runs the DI out from his mini into a pair of Alto Troupers for our outdoor gig. It sounds great and this combination have given us plenty of clean, good sounding volume.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM

DI out from AER 60/3 or Fishman LB amps to QSC K8 (original version) - works very well.
Davidc
Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 AM

What does it mean to "DI out" from an amp to a powered speaker? Does that mean the sound is coming out of both? Are you using the amp's power or the speakers? How do you keep the signal from being too much?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM

yeps, I've used my loudbox artist DI'd to a bose S1 Pro on a stand..

used that at my last outdoor solo gig. The Loubox on a stool slightly behind me to my right and similarly angled the S1 to the left,

There were a few ppl that were there that play guitar didn't know what the S1 was, but commented on how good the setup sounded.

worked pretty good in that setting.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Default The term “DI ou”

Most acoustic amps have a line out on the back that is not effected by the master volume of the amp.
So you can turn the amp up and down without changing what comes from the line out.

To “DI out” means to use that line out in a manner similar to what a DI does; i.e. provide a stable line level signal to another input.

The volume on the powered speaker will have to be adjusted seaparately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
What does it mean to "DI out" from an amp to a powered speaker? Does that mean the sound is coming out of both? Are you using the amp's power or the speakers? How do you keep the signal from being too much?
There can be subtleties, but that’s basically it. Hope this helps. _Roger
Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 AM

OK I think I understand now. So it's basically like you are plugged into both at the same time and can adjust each independently. IT just continues it in one signal chain.

So if you plug into a small amp first and then DI out to a powered speaker, the EQ settings of the amp wont have any effect on the powered speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Most acoustic amps have a line out on the back that is not effected by the master volume of the amp.
So you can turn the amp up and down without changing what comes from the line out.

To “DI out” means to use that line out in a manner similar to what a DI does; i.e. provide a stable line level signal to another input.

The volume on the powered speaker will have to be adjusted seaparately.

There can be subtleties, but that’s basically it. Hope this helps. _Roger

Last edited by JackB1; 08-22-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So if you plug into a small amp first and then DI out to a powered speaker, the EQ settings of the amp wont have any effect on the powered speaker?
Right, usually,, the DI is usually taped before the signal hits the EQ stack.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM

I think “DI outl” on the mini is after the eq and before the master volume.
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 08-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molder View Post
I think “DI outl” on the mini is after the eq and before the master volume.
That's correct. The DI out includes both the guitar and mic channel with EQ and effects.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM

I have had a Mini and thought I got as good or better tone from a powered speaker. I've got effects and EQ in my pedals. The simplest solution is a powered speaker on the floor for small gigs and that same speaker on a stand high and behind for larger gigs (including huge outdoors farmers markets). Once you own the powered PA speaker there is no reason to own the Mini. My CP8 and a Loudbox Mini are almost exactly the same weight too.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification