The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Use A DI In Conjunction With a Fishman sa220?

I was just reading an article in the new issue of Premier Guitar about DIs, and the thought occurred to me, would it be possible to use something like Fishman Platinum Pro EQ DI as an alternative to the preamp section of the SA 220 Soloamp by going first into the Platinum Pro, then using the XLR out from there to go into the Effects Return on the SA220, bypassing the whole front end of the 220 and just use the 220 power amp section? Taking a look at the block diagram for the 220 makes me think it would work. I have no complaint about how it sounds now, but I'm wondering if the Platinum Pro (or something similar) might be a "better" preamp/front end. Anyone ever try anything like this?
Old 08-16-2018, 09:18 AM

Sure, give it a try.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-16-2018, 12:52 PM

I use the SA220 as a PA all the time, feeding it with a little Mackie mixer into the Aux in on the Fishstick. Works great.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-22-2019, 02:26 PM

Is there a reason or benefit to using a DI along with the Fishman system?
Old 02-25-2019, 04:21 PM

Anyone know if using a DI/Preamp with the Fishman Soloamp system would improve the sound of the acoustic guitar?
Old 02-25-2019, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone know if using a DI/Preamp with the Fishman Soloamp system would improve the sound of the acoustic guitar?
I wouldnt expect it to, but the only way to be sure is to try it with your guitar. Preamps and DIs arent usually magic boxes, in spite of the ads. A Di converts high impedance to an unalanced low impedance line, it should not alter the sound, at least in theory. If you’re running a very long guitar cable, then using a DI and CLR to the fishman might help. Othewise, probably not. A basic preamp’s job is to make the signal stronger. If yor pickup is too weak for the fishman, then maybe that wiill help, otherwise it likely wont. Many preamps have other features, anything from EQ to notch filters to even other effects. If you need those things to dial in a sound, then it might help. Otheriwise, not likely. One thing to watch for is changes in level. Sometimes people add a preamp and because they have more gain, they’re playing louder. Because of the fletcher-munson curve, slightly louder always sounds better, so could easily think a preamp has helped, when really you could get the same effect by turning up a notch.

All of this is “in theory”. In reality, you never know how various quirks of different gear may interact to sound “better” (or worse), so you just have to try it. But my suggestion would be to start by asking what you dont like about your sound, and then see what options you have for fixing that. Unless you can define “better”, its hard to do more than just randomly trying things (which can be fun, of course)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks for that answer. Exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I wouldnt expect it to, but the only way to be sure is to try it with your guitar. Preamps and DIs arent usually magic boxes, in spite of the ads. A Di converts high impedance to an unalanced low impedance line, it should not alter the sound, at least in theory. If you’re running a very long guitar cable, then using a DI and CLR to the fishman might help. Othewise, probably not. A basic preamp’s job is to make the signal stronger. If yor pickup is too weak for the fishman, then maybe that wiill help, otherwise it likely wont. Many preamps have other features, anything from EQ to notch filters to even other effects. If you need those things to dial in a sound, then it might help. Otheriwise, not likely. One thing to watch for is changes in level. Sometimes people add a preamp and because they have more gain, they’re playing louder. Because of the fletcher-munson curve, slightly louder always sounds better, so could easily think a preamp has helped, when really you could get the same effect by turning up a notch.

All of this is “in theory”. In reality, you never know how various quirks of different gear may interact to sound “better” (or worse), so you just have to try it. But my suggestion would be to start by asking what you dont like about your sound, and then see what options you have for fixing that. Unless you can define “better”, its hard to do more than just randomly trying things (which can be fun, of course)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Just looking at the interfaces, the Platinum Pro does offer a few more tweaks than the front panel of the SA220. For example a compressor, the "brilliance" knob (useful? No idea), a boost switch, a frequency sweep on the mid. I may be a bit off but there's more going on there.

When in doubt however, listen to Doug Young.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification