The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Fender Mustang modelling amp. Newb Question!

Can it be done??? Can a soundhole pickup like Dean Markley or whomever be plugged into one of these amps and get a decent sound. I have heard everything fr a SOLID "maybe" to its just going to squeal to it will do nothing.

And while I am here, what is a good intro acoustic amp. Just piddling around in the room or house. To throw a number out there... Keep it under 200 bucks?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 AM

I have a mustang 1 that I occasionally use at home. Any pickup I've tried works and I think the dean Markley is a magnetic pickup, just like an electric guitar. Just know that it's not an acoustic amp and likely won't have the full range output. (Particularly, the highs might be weak.) If you already have one, try it and play with the knobs to see if you get a sound you can live with. If you're just playing around the house, it's probably acceptable.

If it's not acceptable, the deficiencies can help guide you in purchasing an acoustic amp.

Does that help at all?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Default Fender Mustang modelling amp. Newb Question!

The problem with electric amps is that they don’t have a tweeter so the sound is compromised. There are simple DIY projects to add tweeters to electric amps. You add a tweeter, filter and on/off switch to go acoustic/electric.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM

Yes, it'll work.

You can try one of the Fender blackface models as starting place.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The problem with electric amps is that they don’t have a tweeter so the sound is compromised...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
...Just know that it's not an acoustic amp and likely won't have the full range output. (Particularly, the highs might be weak.)...
PSA: IME you need far less high-end in your amplified sound than you think - just ask your audience; not surprising BTW, since standard electric guitar amps were all that was available when Charlie Kaman developed the first true acoustic-electric guitars in the late-60's. Without exception, I've never been able to get as "acoustic" an amplified sound from a dedicated acoustic-electric amp - small-cone speakers, tweeter(s), elaborate EQ, digital EFX - as I have from a decent "American-voiced" (think blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg) electric-guitar combo, since the natural rolloff above 4-5kHz acts as a passive filter for most of the frequencies responsible for the edgy "quack" and strident highs of typical acoustic pickup systems. My suggestion would be to plug into the low-gain input (it's all about clean tone here, boys and girls) of an old-school mid-/high-powered 1x12"/2x12"/1x15" combo (tube or analog solid-state, with a good old-fashioned spring reverb) - boost the treble (or hit the bright switch) if necessary to compensate for the magnetic pickup (with the Dean Markley you may be able to skip this step) - and you just might be surprised how "acoustic" and "natural" your guitar can sound with "primitive" equipment...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification