The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson Les Paul Studio going out of tune?

It seems like the G and B strings are constantly having issues. Is this likely a bad set of tuners, or might something else be the culprit?
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
It seems like the G and B strings are constantly having issues. Is this likely a bad set of tuners, or might something else be the culprit?
Going out of tune is almost never an issue with the tuners.

Could be how it's strung or the set of strings. Could be something catching in the string path (like at the nut, also at the bridge).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Typically tuning issues with three-on-a-side headstocks come from either the nut slots not being cut at the right angle or from the player tuning downwards to pitch or not setting the strings right in the tuner shaft. You can take the guitar to a good tech and have him check out the nut slots. The design of tuners causes them to lock as they are tuned upward.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-21-2019, 09:18 PM

Hi Todd, like mentioned, I wonder if it's the nut. Does it ping when you tune the strings? Did you change gauge of strings?
Old 09-22-2019, 04:22 AM

Default Gibson Les Paul Studio going out of tune?

As others have mentioned it’s almost certainly the nut slots. It’s a well known design fault of the angled 3-per-side headstock where the strings have a break angle over the nut (I had/have the same issue on my 335). As you tighten the strings with the tuner the small section between the nut and the tuner tightens more than the vibrating section of the string as the string gets stuck in the slot. The ping mentioned above is when the string loosens in the slot. The same effect happens when bending stings when playing - the whole string is stretched slightly but then it gets stuck again when released.

One solution for the problem is to SLIGHTLY widen (not deepen) the slot or slots in question, the other is to use a lubricant like Nut Sauce.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 AM

As others have said, binding in the nut is most likely the issue. Years ago when I had a Les Paul Studio it came with a cheap plastic nut and I had that same issue. I replaced that nut with a Graphtech black tusq xl nut and the problem went away. I have a zero glide nut on my current Les Paul and those work well too. If you want to keep the existing nut you can use some form of lubricant in the slots like nut sauce, Vaseline or even pencil lead will work.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 AM

It’s Gibson.

My SG, Les Paul Jr., and Melody Maker share this. Yesterday I played a friend’s new ES 335. While tuning, I heard the ping from the nut.

Find a qualified repairman and get a new nut. The nut on my PRS is perfect. Same with my Fenders.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:48 PM

I've had about 20 Gibson electric's since 1968, and NONE of the G strings have ever been stable. They've all been set up by respectable pro's, and improved, but never as stable as other mfg's. The most stable Gibson I have is a 2013 ES-335 (Mr. 335) Larry Carlton model. I believe its' their design, string-tree/nut and bridge arrangement issues.
I don't get real upset about this cause I play a lot of blue notes.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Check out the String Butler.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Thinking of having a new nut installed. Maybe bone.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 PM

I have an LP Studio and Traditional. I haven't noticed this as a big issue for me so I guess I'm lucky. On the first string change with a guitar, I fold some very fine sandpaper and run it through the nut slots, starting with the high E. I sharpen a pencil and run it through the nut slots in the same order. This seems to work for me from a Rogue to D-41. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars