The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Not into celebrity and hero worship repels me...

That being said, I had but no longer have a Martin Roger McGuinn HD-7, a Gallagher Steve Kaufman and Gallagher Doc Watson...

Like Doc but traded for the guitar cause it was cool, no interest in Kaufman or McGuinn but the guitars were cool

Might get a Nancy Wilson HD 35 if I could find one and liked it...

So I guess it is irrelevant - would certainly never get one solely because of the artist, actually more of a turn off...but if the guitar is sweet and the price is right
2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto (Myrtlewood)
2011 Musicman Stingray Classic
1993 Gibson SG Jr (Lollar pickup)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Neutral. It needs to be 100% the specs I need. I'll play any signature or non-signature model that matches my needs.
Limited Edition walnut Taylor 12 fret non-cutaway ES2
Old 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM

There have been a few signature model Martins that I’ve been impressed with - not because of the star’s signature inlaid in mother-of-pearl on the fretboard, but because the instruments’ own merits and collection of features. Four I can think of offhand are the Jimmy Buffett mahogany dreadnought, the Steve Miller koa 12 fret Double O, the Paul Simon OM-42PS, and, of course, the signature model that first set the ball rolling, the Eric Clapton 000-42EC.

Here’s kind of a funny story: I was good friends with the late Mike Longworth, Martin’s on staff historian and PR guy. As it happens, four years before Eric Clapton played his game-changing MTV Unplugged concert, I had had a custom 000-42 built that has the identical scalloped bracing pattern as the guitar Clapton plays. The only significant difference between the two is that my guitar has a slimmer, more modern neck profile than the Clapton signature 000-42EC.

So I called Mike at Martin and joked:

“Hey, Mike, you know that I’ve been using a 000-42 onstage for years now. So when are you guys going to come out with a Martin 000-42WHM?”

Without even missing a beat Mike fired back:

“As soon as you start selling as many records as Eric Clapton!”

Oooh, well-played! I certainly couldn’t argue with his logic!

Oh, well...

Anyway, to summarize, if I was to ever buy a signature model guitar, it would be based strictly on the musical merits of the guitar, not because of some musician’s endorsement. Like many serious musicians, I’m not much of a fanboy, at least not to the extent of buying a guitar with someone else’s name on it just because it has that guy’s name inlaid into the fretboard.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 09-14-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
Old 09-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Oh yes, they lure me....Away.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM

Not quite at the lure stage but I would certainly like to play a D41DF Dan Fogelberg, just for fun. I've always admired both.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:07 PM

A "signature" guitar because of who the signor is,,,,is something I never had much interest in. While I was I suppose, was vaguely aware that such guitars often carried material or design upgrades that might ad tonal value. I had pretty much found "my tone" in the standard models I currently own. And I supposed like many I assumed it would add cost.

Like many here have stated simple having a signature is not a reason I would buy a guitar . Fortunately for me simply having a signature is not a reason I would not buy a guitar either.
As both, as a reason, seem to me to simply be opposite sides of the exact same coin.

In looking for a new electric in the single coil style presumably a Strat type or Tele type guitar. I came close to buying an American Fender Elite Tele as it had all the design and material upgrades I was looking for .

But now I have now found a Signature Tele style by Kesel that interestingly enough not only sports the the same upgrades but actually cost less the Fender elite
So the really good news for me the signature is not even remotely any kind of deterrent to purchase .

KevWind at Soundcloud

Last edited by KevWind; 09-15-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:58 AM

I generally dislike the concept; I'm trying to forge my own identity, not latch on to someone else's.

I will admit to being proud to have Chet Atkin's signature on the pickguard of my '62 Gretsch Tennessean though.

...and a bunch of nice electrics too
Old 09-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I wont buy a guitar with a sig on it, not even eric clapton
Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Generally, they don't. But some have great specs. I have a Collings "JL" OM. It has all of the specs I wanted in a guitar so I bought it. No signature from Julian Lage on it either.
FWIW - Gibson Les Pauls aren't scoffed at due to Les' name on them.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:41 AM

Tone is the only driving force that will influence me to buying any guitar
Old 09-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Somebody's signature is a turn-off to me.
I think so, too.
1996 Takamine EG140SHC

Gone but not forgotten
2015 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
1974 Yamaha FG 160
1965 Fender Telecaster
1953 Les Paul Gold Top
1970 Unbranded, unfinished kit-built 12-string
Early 1960s Harmony Sovereign
Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 PM

I wouldnít buy one just because of a signature but I donít take myself so seriously that I would not buy a guitar with someone elseís name on it.

I donít have a personal rivalry with Eric Clapton or John Mayer or anyone else, so I think my ego could withstand having their name on my guitar.

The only exception would be Sheryl Crow, which I canít talk about without being in violation of the restraining order.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Do signature series guitars lure you?

Generally not a fan of Sigs, but after going to see Laurence Juber & meeting him, I was so enamored by the sound/looks of his Martin:..I caved!
To seal the deal, I was also drawn to the plainness of the fretboard sans LJís Signature & the specs. In the end, I bought another w/ Madagascar Rwd & would simply like 1 more...in Mahogany.

Last edited by Mad Rose; 09-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzapped1 View Post
After seeing ad after ad in a popular guitar magazine, I wondered how many people buy a guitar because it's a signature series. For me, it just seems gimmicky.
The only temptation ever for me was a guitar that had particular features that I really liked, but I'd tend to avoid a signature guitar, regardless of whether it was a player I liked or not, especially if it had the players name on it.
On the other hand, I'd fully be willing to buy a (used) guitar from a player I didn't even care for if it had features that I found to be appealing for me as a player.
Friedman DS40, Marshall 6101, 401, RedPlate Phoenix, Splawn Street Rod, Budda SD18
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Seems like everyone here has no interest in artists' signature guitars.
Well , I love them! I have a small collection of replicas of those artists who have inspired me over the years.... I'm still looking for more. (if space permits)
Please be gentle with comments.

Perhaps one day when I retire from my day job, I may open a small cafe or pub with all these hanging on the walls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion