The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Musical minimalist

Default Big Lou wide nut guitars anyone?

Every played or owned one? What did you think of the quality?

https://www.biglouguitar.com/

Old 02-16-2024, 11:55 AM

Resurrecting this old discussion.

I'm considering a purchase from Big Lou guitars. It seems to be an inexpensive way to try electric while getting a wider nut width on my instrument.

Their tele starts at 1-7/8". That's even better than 1-3/4".
Old 02-17-2024, 10:04 AM

Great idea - no experience with the brand, but recognize it's a lower-end guitar that may need some tweaking on arrival to be easily played. It may need the nut adjusted (string height raised or lowered), maybe a little fret leveling/crowning, fret end smoothing, action adjusted (maybe the neck needs a shim), and the like. Basically, if I were buying it, I'd budget another $100-300 for the work I'd expect might be needed.

Then again, it may need nothing at all. In any case, it's the least expensive way to try a wider nut on an electric. I tried an Agile "wide" (1 3/4) to do the same on a les paul guitar form, for similar money.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I tried an Agile "wide" (1 3/4) to do the same on a les paul guitar form, for similar money.
Those are the guitars sold over at Rondo Music, right?
Old 02-21-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
Those are the guitars sold over at Rondo Music, right?
Correct. Their "wide" is 1 3/4, and they offer a "**** wide" that's 1 7/8. Here's a link to them - https://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondo...1421a8d614cc26

My "wide" was a 3100-level LP style guitar (non-neckthrough) made at the World Guitar factory in South Korea and it was flawless -needed nothing. If you can live with the LP-type body, Agile is the way I'd go. $600 for a neck-through LP finished to perfection is an amazing thing. I sold mine only because I found I didn't need the "wide" neck, and I already had a '93 Gibson LP Studio that I loved (and have). I should note as well that the Agile's neck profile was identical to my Gibson's, that late-50s (but not too chunky), before they went to the '60s slim taper. Great neck.

If you like the idea of an Agile, but the LP body feels too small to play seated, you could get a Dynarette guitar cushion or a Performaxe - either will raise the height and give a better playing angle to the LP body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars