The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

Oh, and Click and Clack have old episodes on Youtube. Hysterical, but no video, just sound recorded off radio?

BluesKing777.
Well, it was a radio show....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-31-2019, 06:40 AM

Good news on access to Car Talk. Thanks!

For you ozone proponents, a question. Think I'll be gravitating to that if the Virtuoso fails. Since I can isolate the guitar into a small space (guitar box), can I use the smallest (least expensive) version? For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Indoor...item26207ff81f

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-31-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedzep View Post
What didn't work was apple slices and baking soda locked in the case for 24H
Not surprised. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate powder, which does not either react with or absorb odors particularly well. The cardboard box it comes in does absorb odors however. In the consumer products world, its known that the benefit of cardboard is what Arm & Hammer actually sells when people buy their baking soda product for their refrigerators.

Glad you had good results with ionic purifier. With a prior guitar that had a moldy smell from a bad case, I had good luck with activated carbon/charcoal in bags, a cheap-o ozonator, and leaving the guitar out for many days.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Very interesting, CC. So much for truth in advertising. I haven't gotten to the ozonator yet, but you seem to suggest a small cheap one will work in a small space. Also suggested that the odor would return if the source isn't vanquished, so I'm buying into a process here, and trying to wipe away as much as I can before applying 'technology'.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-31-2019, 11:06 AM

Virtuosos stinks to high heaven. I bought it once not suspecting the fragrance was so bad and never used it. But, I can't stand being anywhere near any flowery bouquet; tearing up and entering into an acute sneezing fit if I walk down the smelly fragrance store isles.

Allowing baking soda to dwell long enough should neutralize the smell if its not an oil based product. If it is oil based (you probably don't know for sure) I'd go with a spirits based cleaner that doesn't attack the finish.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
^^^This. Follow the safety precautions and things will be fine. Plus, you're helping (albeit in a minuscule way) to replenish the ozone layer.
My understanding is Ozone is not good to breath.

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

https://learn.allergyandair.com/ozone-generators/

Ed
Old 08-31-2019, 12:32 PM

Absolutely correct, Ed. But the non-scientist that wrote the article (which is pretty good) forgot to mention that there is a lower threshold of exposure below which ozone is not a concern. This is true for any chemical, btw. It's super smart to be careful using an ozonator, but as an earlier post suggested, if you put it in a small space, avoid breathing near it, etc., it is likely to be fine.

The way I used mine was popping the offending guitar case (and in a follow-up exercise, guitar) into a guitar box, putting the plugged-in mini-ozonator into that box, closing the box lids best I could, and having it in a small porch room with no plants, good ventilation, etc. That way the local environment within the guitar box could rise to a useful level of ozone, but the room itself was probably not. I of course came in holding my breath, unplugged the ozonator and popped open the windows. I could not measure what the part per million (or billion or trillion?) level of ozone was after all this, but I minimized my exposure to what I hoped was a non-threatening level.

Risk is all about the dose!
Old 08-31-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
My understanding is Ozone is not good to breath.

When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs. Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath and throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections.

https://learn.allergyandair.com/ozone-generators/

Ed
Weather forecasts do include "Ozone Alerts" from time to time, as in there's going to be too much of the stuff.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Weather forecasts do include "Ozone Alerts" from time to time, as in there's going to be too much of the stuff.
Of course! As Ed correctly states, it's not good for health. However, the degree of risk is totally dependent on dosage and exposure, as for any chemical. For example, apples contain benzene, but at way lower levels than the vapor from pumping petrol at the gas station!

Used with care, I think it's possible to safely use a small ozonator for deodorizing a guitar. But with care!
Old 08-31-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Of course! As Ed correctly states, it's not good for health. However, the degree of risk is totally dependent on dosage and exposure, as for any chemical. For example, apples contain benzene, but at way lower levels than the vapor from pumping petrol at the gas station!

Used with care, I think it's possible to safely use a small ozonator for deodorizing a guitar. But with care!
Okay. But always remember, when you go for a drive, if you have pets or the elderly in your car, always roll up the windows when you go through the ozone layer.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Okay. But always remember, when you go for a drive, if you have pets or the elderly in your car, always roll up the windows when you go through the ozone layer.
How do you know when you are going through the ozone layer?
Old 08-31-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
How do you know when you are going through the ozone layer?
When your guitar's odor problem suddenly goes away?

Old 08-31-2019, 05:21 PM

I went through the ozone layer a number of times when going to a gig with my old bass player driving......

The ozone treatment is sounding a bit deadly - why don’t you just nuke the Martin and be done, JZ?

Just give it a gentle clean with the Virtuoso Cleaner and until then put a coffee bag in the soundhole and another in the case. I just opened both my LG cases to see/smell how the coffee bags are working and it is a big thumbs up! Best if you like the smell of coffee, I guess. It was better to get a whiff of Expresso than embalming fluid/body part while having a strum.

I might buy the large box of coffee bags at the supermarket and put some in each guitar. The all definitely have their own smells. Welcome to Cafe de BK!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 PM

Well, it does violate my 'no guitar younger than 60 rule, and it is bigger than I'm comfortable with. Two reasons for nuking.

That odor is now in my fragrance free brain and I think I'm smelling it even when I'm not near it. It's becoming funny.

I grind my coffee beans every morning and of all the aromas that could be stuck in my guitar I would accept that. Since the smell is localized to the 'armpit' side and binding I'm thinking anything in the sound hole would be pointless.

It's strong, and after another day of wiping it with orange clean Goop and magic Eraser, then sitting it in the lawn chair on a breezy dry day, it hasn't reduced the smell noticeably. This will drag out.

Virtuoso first, ozone second, then I'll just have my olfactory nerve lasered off.

See, I have a reasonable plan.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog

Last edited by jedzep; 09-01-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 PM

What’s happening, JZ?

Any luck?

Hope u haven’t over-ozoned?

FYI, the old 52 LG1 (and case!) smells just delightful with the coffee bags in the guitar and case after a week. Once you get the air puffing out the soundhole when playing a bit harder, you really go ‘Oooh, that’s nice!” I used up the box of bags in other guitars! It probably needs a splash of bourbon soaked in to the guitar wood. And I’m thinking real beans in a bit of paper towell and gaffa taped up!

I didn’t realise until now that ALL my guitars stink of weird things.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion