The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsatori View Post
I am not a big fan of the Martin vanilla chemical smell with their new cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
WHAT?????? I LOVE the smell of my D-41 when I open the case!! I hope it lasts forever even though I know it won't!
Yep, me too - for me, it’s ‘Essence of NGD’, it’s wonderful and I wish it could last for ever.
It’s a scent which TKL put into their case to mask the unpleasant smell of the glue used its construction (according to someone who is knowledgeable on all things CFM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
I always ask the same thing. I will never understand cologne and perfume.
I will never understand BO. The stench of unwashed human bodies makes me want to vomit. I’ll take a whiff of cologne and perfume over stinky, sweaty armpits every time!

Absolutely not suggesting anyone here falls into the ‘unwashed-body’ category of course!

A few years ago, when smoking was banned in public places in the UK, a frequent complaint seen on social media was that, because there was no longer the stench of tobacco-smoke to mask it, an all-pervading stink of BO had become very noticeable in pubs, clubs, and other public venues. Yuk!

But, of course, the usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 08-30-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:26 AM

I thank you all for the culinary and drinking advice. Boy do I miss Car Talk, but not enough, I guess, to listen to old shows online at 99 cents a pop. Maybe some day.

What didn't work was apple slices and baking soda locked in the case for 24H. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with the guy's deodorant as the odor is most concentrated on and near the edges and side. Those anti-persp fragrances really hang on.

I did make a good dent in it's intensity by using a couple drops of 'Fast Orange' non-petrol hand cleaner rubbed in with a soft cotton cloth, then removed first with a dry rag and a slightly damp Mr Clean Magic Eraser. A touch of lemon oil and a seat out on the lawn chair catching a breeze.

So now we got cooking & drinking tips, plus housekeeping product advice.

The back (armpit area) binding now seems to have a localized stronger concentration, but I won't give up. I'm more susceptible because I've used mostly fragrance free everything since forever.

I notoriously prattle about liking only small guitars, but when I read up on the pre-'95, pre-T(echnology) D16s, I went hunting and found this great guitar. There aren't that many out there on the market. Nice deep bod voice, BK. (I unsubscribed from topics on the Gib Forum because I got tired of having to delete the mass fake posts and Asian language spam assaults. Greetings to you, oh mighty finger style blues master. I'll have to check in to see what clips you've been posting.

Coffee masks, but won't absorb. If I have to go to the ozone...so be it. I've breathed in much worse and I ain't dead yet.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
Martins- '07 OM-21, '19 0-18,
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-30-2019, 08:41 AM

Re ozone, I'll add that it will remove airborne smells but if the cause of the odor is still present, the stink will recur. OP is doing the right thing by wiping the guitar to remove as much as possible of the cause.

A friend borrowed my ozone generator to freshen his car which stank of his kid's gym clothes. After a 24 hour treatment, it still stank because the gym clothes were still present. Gym clothes were removed, car re-treated with ozone, stink gone.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 08-30-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Isn't magic eraser basically just sandpaper? I'd be leery of using on my guitar.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I once bought a used Gibson Lg-0 that strongly smell incense ! After many weeks, it would smell much less but the odor would grow as I was playing. It finally washed out after some six months.
I was going to suggest burning incense near the case, which I would leave open an inch or so with the guitar in it

this confirms my belief that incense is the ticket!

the LG-0 probably smelled like cologne or smoke before the incense treatment
Old 08-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Isn't magic eraser basically just sandpaper? I'd be leery of using on my guitar.
No Jess, it's a soft foam sponge infused with a colorless, odorless, sudsless cleansing agent. Powerful but gentle. It did pull off some previous owner's 'sludge', with no dulling of the satin finish.

For all I know it's just water and I'm a sucka'.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-30-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedzep View Post
I thank you all for the culinary and drinking advice. Boy do I miss Car Talk, but not enough, I guess, to listen to old shows online at 99 cents a pop. Maybe some day.

What didn't work was apple slices and baking soda locked in the case for 24H. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with the guy's deodorant as the odor is most concentrated on and near the edges and side. Those anti-persp fragrances really hang on.

I did make a good dent in it's intensity by using a couple drops of 'Fast Orange' non-petrol hand cleaner rubbed in with a soft cotton cloth, then removed first with a dry rag and a slightly damp Mr Clean Magic Eraser. A touch of lemon oil and a seat out on the lawn chair catching a breeze.

So now we got cooking & drinking tips, plus housekeeping product advice.

The back (armpit area) binding now seems to have a localized stronger concentration, but I won't give up. I'm more susceptible because I've used mostly fragrance free everything since forever.

I notoriously prattle about liking only small guitars, but when I read up on the pre-'95, pre-T(echnology) D16s, I went hunting and found this great guitar. There aren't that many out there on the market. Nice deep bod voice, BK. (I unsubscribed from topics on the Gib Forum because I got tired of having to delete the mass fake posts and Asian language spam assaults. Greetings to you, oh mighty finger style blues master. I'll have to check in to see what clips you've been posting.

Coffee masks, but won't absorb. If I have to go to the ozone...so be it. I've breathed in much worse and I ain't dead yet.

I saw a box of 8 coffee tea bags at the supermarket and bought it! I never knew there was such a thing until a friend came over and brought his decaffeinated coffee bags with him. I thought he might have flipped. But I like the smell of coffee so I will throw 2 bags in a few guitars and their cases to try destinkerising. The more I think about it, the more stinky guitars I have. What do people do to them to make them smell so awful?

Speaking of Ds, I was going to sell my D28 as I don’t really like the narrow nut for fingerpicking and the first 4 or 5 frets were awful. I took it to my luthier to put in 4 new frets to get it playing better - to SELL. He said I needed 8. OK, I said. When I went to pick it up, he had done all the frets after getting confused. It played and sounded SO nice that I just paid him and didn’t argue and also made the mistake of playing it at home. Wow, not for sale....

Did you try the Virtuoso Cleaner, JZ?

BluesKing777.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Just bought the Virtuoso cleaner AND polish set on Ebay.

The smell is still there after all that and a day out in the lawn chair. Someone said rub a lemon/white vinegar solution but I gotta' study that a bit.

Fingers crossed on the Virtuoso. Does it have a scent?

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Someone said rub a lemon/white vinegar solution but I gotta' study that a bit...
Yeh, I don't know about those....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-30-2019, 05:29 PM

Small ozone generators aren't expensive, as I'm seeing. One can be placed in a guitar shipping box and fired up, thinking confined area use might blast the odor right back to Cali.

Input is always appreciated. Thanks boyz!

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-30-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Just bought the Virtuoso cleaner AND polish set on Ebay.

The smell is still there after all that and a day out in the lawn chair. Someone said rub a lemon/white vinegar solution but I gotta' study that a bit.

Fingers crossed on the Virtuoso. Does it have a scent?

It does have a bit of that cleaning smell that you will know but can’t name!
They claim it doesn’t react with nitro finishes, just the gunks on the finish. If it doesn’t kill the stink, though I am sure it will, you can use it to clean those guitars you drag out of the tar pits and piggery barns.

The Virtuoso Polish also has a splash of cleaner in it, so a normal guitar can be polished and cleaned at the same time. While I never ever polish a guitar these days - I wipe my guitars with a t-shirt after playing, a splash of the Virt Polish on a t-shirt can get rid of the dreaded arm haze.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Piggery barn indeed. That's hilarious.

Love stinks.

'36 Gibson L00, '50 J50
'63 Guild F30
'99 00015S 12 Fret Hog
Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 PM

I bought a really cheap guitar that after I got it home I realized had a STRONG smoke smell in it. I couldn’t even play it the smell was that strong. Since it was so cheap I rubbed it down with isopropyl alcohol and the rags I used turned from white to brown. The smell was still there. Then I put it in a big yard leaf bag with 3 boxes of baking soda dumped in and left it in there for a week. The smell was still there but a little better. Finally I put it in a closet with an ionizing air purifier. In one night all the smell was gone.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Piggery barn indeed. That's hilarious.

Love stinks.

There are some things you only want to do once, JZ.

Probably 40 years ago, a friend had me help him put in his ‘kitchen’ garden, all good, but the not so clever......his plan....we went to the piggery with a few potato sacks and shovels to get the ‘FREE’ powdered pig****e from a pile at the end of a processing shute. Filled our bags, we did! If that was not bad enough, we drove home with them in the back of his station wagon!

Virtuoso Cleaner would never get rid of that stink.

BluesKing777.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM

Coffee bag update:

It is only a few hours since I put 2 coffee bags (like tea bags) in 3 guitars and cases. One each in the headstock area of the case and one in the soundhole. I bought the ‘Expresso’ model and it seems to work immediately. I opened the cases and could smell.......strong coffee! And to carry on the science, I played 2 guitars and caught strong coffee whiffs as I was playing. I will see if it keeps up over a few days, but so far I like. It is way better than the aroma of graveyard and body fluid or whatever nasty the smell was......

Oh, and Click and Clack have old episodes on Youtube. Hysterical, but no video, just sound recorded off radio?

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion