The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-26-2019, 06:35 AM

Default PRS Silver Sky

I'm possibly in the market for a different electric sound to add to my Gibson. I was leaning Strat but wondering if the Silver Sky might be an option. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with that model.

Tnx,
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM

just tossing my 2 cents into the pot, but if I was Jones'in for a strat, a PRS would not be where I'd be heading. they are probably close to double the cost, and don't believe they are twice the guitar, regardless of the hype.

But hey, you may try one and fall in love, so to each his own..

Again just my flea bitten opinion.. (btw.. I have two US made strats one is a newer one, the other I've had for 20+ years and a US made Tele (Also been in my hands for 20+ years)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

It's different enough from a standard strat that it's worth playing one if you can find one. They seem to be more available finally - they were nearly impossible to find for quite a while after release. I played one a month or month and a half ago and didn't love it. It was VERY well made, as you'd expect from a US made PRS, and the pickups are great but a bit different than most strat pickups, so you either like them (most do) or not. But I usually know within a couple minutes of picking up a guitar if it wants to go home with me and the Silver Sky didn't. But it's worth playing - most folks who play them seem to love them, a lot of skeptics have been converted. I was one of the few who was enthused to try one but was underwhelmed by it.

But there are a lot of really good strats out there, and many a good deal less money. I recently put a Road Worn 50's neck on my Robert Cray hardtail and I'm in strat heaven with that guitar now. It was a long term keeper with the stock neck and it's my dream strat with this Road Worn neck. And I'm not even gonna mention how little money I have in this guitar - it's stealing in every sense but the legal one.

-Ray
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM

There's been a ton of good reviews about this so I went to try one.

Predictably, it's beautifully made, sounds great, and the trem/bar is a real upgrade on the vintage strat-style.

Hoever, I just couldn't get past the tiny frets and 7.5" radius. It felt like a very old-fashioned guitar to me - I much prefer jumbo frets and a flatter radius as per many other newer "strats", including some from Fender.

My wedge would (indeed did) go on an EBMM Cutlass. A very definite modern (for which read improved) take on a strat, and very keenly priced, especially used.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
There's been a ton of good reviews about this so I went to try one.

Predictably, it's beautifully made, sounds great, and the trem/bar is a real upgrade on the vintage strat-style.

Hoever, I just couldn't get past the tiny frets and 7.5" radius. It felt like a very old-fashioned guitar to me - I much prefer jumbo frets and a flatter radius as per many other newer "strats", including some from Fender.

My wedge would (indeed did) go on an EBMM Cutlass. A very definite modern (for which read improved) take on a strat, and very keenly priced, especially used.

Cheers,
Steve
I, OTOH, love the 7.25" radius, but not the vintage frets, and not the rosewood fingerboard. And I like a slightly beefier, soft-V neck shape. Fortunately, there are about a zillion options in a strat, so we should each be able to find what we like. I've heard that John Mayer has been playing a Silver Sky with a maple fretboard on tour recently so PRS probably has more options in the works. But I'm pretty set for a good long while.

-Ray
Old 08-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Never played the Silver Sky, but you can pretty much bank on PRS' build quality. I've never picked up a PRS that was anything less than spectacular in terms of the build.

I also agree that it's very likely to be quite different from a MIM Standard Fender Strat, which, while they are pretty decent and I wouldn't be embarrassed to play one at a gig, the pickups do lack some level and authority.

It seems there are a lot of good deals floating around on USA strats right now, and I would be inclined to go that way...OR...get a MIM that you like and replace pickups with Fender USA Custom shop set...Hot Noiseless, Texas Specials, etc. I did that recently and was very pleased with the results, and the total investment, even with gold-colored hardware, was far less than a USA one.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 PM

I have a Silver Sky, and it's as good or better in every way than both the Custom Shop strats (CS 57 and a CS 60 relic) I own at about half the price.
Go play one, you'll see
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Play one and make your decision. I've played them and chosen to stay with my Eric Johnson Strat. It fits what I want much better in every detail.

YMMV

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-27-2019, 09:06 PM

Thanks all for the perspectives. If I can ever drag myself away from work I'll be trying a Silver Sky. I may also go the Frankenstrat approach after I make sure of the sound I'm hearing in my head and find the pickups to make it happen.

-jay
Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 PM

I did notice that the Sweetwater flyer I just got in the mail has John Meyer being interviewed and relating his personal experience with the Silver Sky.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:38 PM

I've had about 8 different Fender Strat's and the Silver Sky is better in just about every way. Better sound, more powerful pickups, better balance and construction. I've had the Eric Johnson, Mark Knopfler, Custom shop and others. And the small improvement for the patch chord input is much appreciated.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Thanks all for the perspectives. If I can ever drag myself away from work I'll be trying a Silver Sky. I may also go the Frankenstrat approach after I make sure of the sound I'm hearing in my head and find the pickups to make it happen.

-jay
Hopefully you get a chance to give the Silver Sky a try. As noted above, it is a 7.25" radius which some people love and others hate. By comparisons, usually, a Strat is 9.5, a PRS is 10" and a Les Paul is 12".
Old 08-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hopefully you get a chance to give the Silver Sky a try. As noted above, it is a 7.25" radius which some people love and others hate. By comparisons, usually, a Strat is 9.5, a PRS is 10" and a Les Paul is 12".
True, but all of the vintage strats and teles which people pay crazy amounts of money for were 7.25". Agree, it's a matter of personal preference though...

-Ray
Old 08-30-2019, 05:02 PM

Why do I ask a question that just drives my lust beyond my wallet? Need to sell my harp guitar first. Playing much more electric lead than I envisioned five years ago. I'll definitely schedule a visit to Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO for a Silver Sky test drive. They always do an awesome job with customer service!

-jay
Old 09-01-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Why do I ask a question that just drives my lust beyond my wallet? Need to sell my harp guitar first. Playing much more electric lead than I envisioned five years ago. I'll definitely schedule a visit to Wildwood Guitars in Louisville, CO for a Silver Sky test drive. They always do an awesome job with customer service!

-jay
Lusting for a guitar beyond one's wallet ... not good! .

Have you played many Strats/Teles/PRSi before? They give a great contrast to your Gibson but make sure you like the way they feel in your hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars