The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingchet View Post
Love the 41!! Have u played the 18 sinker?? It's a different voice yes but I feel it wins bit this could just be a rose lwood hog preference [emoji3]
I haven't. I found the 41 before I got to those and it met my every need. I would be hesitant to buy a D-18 because my Bourgeois is a mahogany back/sides guitar and the 810 I sold to buy my Martin was a rosewood and I wouldn't want two guitars of the same back/sides wood. Two totally different voices and to be honest I was going to get an HD28 right up until I pulled my 41 off the wall and gave it a strum. Then it was all over. That Vince Gill video is what put the sinkers on my radar.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I haven't. I found the 41 before I got to those and it met my every need. I would be hesitant to buy a D-18 because my Bourgeois is a mahogany back/sides guitar and the 810 I sold to buy my Martin was a rosewood and I wouldn't want two guitars of the same back/sides wood. Two totally different voices and to be honest I was going to get an HD28 right up until I pulled my 41 off the wall and gave it a strum. Then it was all over. That Vince Gill video is what put the sinkers on my radar.

Absolutely! Great stuff..the 41 in my opinion is the best rosewood I ever played at a bargain price compared to some builders! Well if u getta chance go to gruhns and try a sinkerits THAT GOOD
Old 08-16-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful mahogany back and love the 40's style back strip. Glad it worked out for you...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-16-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Beautiful mahogany back and love the 40's style back strip. Glad it worked out for you...enjoy!

Thanks so much..made a crappie summer pure magic
Old 08-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Suppose we could hear a clip of how it sounds??
Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
any sinker mahog. owners out there? So I just watched a video of Vince Gill playing the same guitar d18 and I get that same sound GOOOOOLLLLEEEEE
You bet. I took delivery of my own custom order last December. These are keepers for sure. Try some Martin Retros. I have migrated to the “LJs” which are called medium-lights but only the A,D,G are lightened. These strings really energize the tone.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
You bet. I took delivery of my own custom order last December. These are keepers for sure. Try some Martin Retros. I have migrated to the “LJs” which are called medium-lights but only the A,D,G are lightened. These strings really energize the tone.
thank you! where did you get yours? straight from martin or a dealer? and how do you like it after all the time that has passed?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
thank you! where did you get yours? straight from martin or a dealer? and how do you like it after all the time that has passed?
I designed my own custom starting with Gruhn specs and adding a few extras. I chose Adi top, clear finish, GE scalloped and forward shifted bracing, Cocobolo binding heel and headplate, vertical block logo less the C&F inlaid in pearl. I ordered it through Reno’s Music on April 6, 2018. It took exactly 8 months to delivery. That was pure torture but ultimately worth it. I too have since sold my rosewood HD28V to diversify into an OM and 000. I couldn’t be happier with the Sinker as my only dread. It is top-of-the-food-chain for mahogany in my book.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I designed my own custom starting with Gruhn specs and adding a few extras. I chose Adi top, clear finish, GE scalloped and forward shifted bracing, Cocobolo binding heel and headplate, vertical block logo less the C&F inlaid in pearl. I ordered it through Reno’s Music on April 6, 2018. It took exactly 8 months to delivery. That was pure torture but ultimately worth it.
MUST SEE DETAILED PICTURES!!! My mind is going crazy trying to imagine what it looks like!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM

I’m sorry, I don’t post pics here. If you’d like me to email some, please PM me.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Very nice.......I'm a crazy hog fan. Congrats!!

"Happy Birthday"

Last edited by fongie; 08-16-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Yes, a very happy birthday, indeed!
Love, love, love mahogany! Great choice.
scott
Old 08-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Congratulations ChasingChet on the D-18.

I have Sinker Mahogany OM-18 which is great. I hadn’t played an OM Mahogany before I bought this (in fact Martin don’t make one - only a OOO) so I can only speculate how much difference the Sinkeriness makes. But it’s a lovely guitar with a thick chewy tone - less clarity and more gristle than Rosewood. Dirtier, if you like.

Enjoy yours.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Congratulations ChasingChet on the D-18.

I have Sinker Mahogany OM-18 which is great. I hadn’t played an OM Mahogany before I bought this (in fact Martin don’t make one - only a OOO) so I can only speculate how much difference the Sinkeriness makes. But it’s a lovely guitar with a thick chewy tone - less clarity and more gristle than Rosewood. Dirtier, if you like.

Enjoy yours.
thanks man! very kool! this D 18 sinker has amazing clarity yet it can get funky and dirty when you want it to...I absolutely love it
Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I designed my own custom starting with Gruhn specs and adding a few extras. I chose Adi top, clear finish, GE scalloped and forward shifted bracing, Cocobolo binding heel and headplate, vertical block logo less the C&F inlaid in pearl. I ordered it through Reno’s Music on April 6, 2018. It took exactly 8 months to delivery. That was pure torture but ultimately worth it. I too have since sold my rosewood HD28V to diversify into an OM and 000. I couldn’t be happier with the Sinker as my only dread. It is top-of-the-food-chain for mahogany in my book.
awesome! its funny I had the hd28v also a few years back no comparison with the sinker mahog. the sinker has pure magic ...but now tou got me thinking about bracing..Im not exactly sure what mine has goin on under the hood but its so musical...I wonder how I would find out about the bracing in my particular 18?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion