The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: With or without electronics
Pure acoustic 131 59.28%
Gimme some electronics 90 40.72%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 AM

I want good quality electronics. I don't want the barn door type for aesthetic reasons, but other than that, I want the guitar to be ready for any sort of live performance situation. I'm not real fussy about what they are, in a mix you can't tell most of them apart, but I want the guitar ready to perform - including those settings with PA/higher volumes where a K&K won't work for me. If I were a basement player only then "mic it" would work, but for most people playing live it won't. A Fishman or a Baggs system with a blending capability solves all problems right out of the box.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Very interesting results so far. I've gotten into several discussions on this and other forums regarding the relative paucity of Taylor pure acoustics. After being told that one can always order a pure acoustic, the discussion turns into a regular "Who's on first; what's the guy's name on second..."

ME: I think Taylor should produce more off-the-rack acoustics without electronics.

SOMEONE ELSE: Most customers want to purchase guitars with electronics, and that's why Guitar Center and other large dealers stock mostly guitars with electronics.

ME: But if GC doesn't offer a customer an equal choice, then all buyers are doing is purchasing what's hanging in the store.

SOMEONE ELSE: But the large stores sell more with factory electronics, and so that's what they stock....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-14-2019 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Very interesting results so far. I've gotten into several discussions on this and other forums regarding the relative paucity of Taylor pure acoustics. After being told that one can always order a pure acoustic, the discussion turns into a regular "Who's on first; what's the guy's name on second..."

ME: I think Taylor should produce more off-the-rack acoustics without electronics.

SOMEONE ELSE: Most customers want to purchase guitars with electronics, and that's why Guitar Center and other large dealers stock mostly guitars with electronics.

ME: But if GC doesn't offer a customer an equal choice, then all they're doing is purchasing what's hanging in the store.

SOMEONE ELSE: But the large stores sell more with factory electronics, and so that's what they stock....
Haha!

Also, I think there's a misconception on guitar forums that Taylor's electronics don't sound good. To the rest of the world they're regarded as very good sounding systems, often described as being easy to mix and sitting well in a mix. But on guitar boards we all try to sound like 1%ers so they are sold short.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

IMHO this poll is too bi-polar to be reliable. Sound is not that simple and the term "electronics" means so many things that may include cutting a hole into a guitar to install, passive vs. active, under saddle or other, and so forth. I love the most natural sound possible on my acoustics which is why the K&K Pure Mini is my pickup of choice. And even if you elect to mic your guitar in certain venues, the amplified sound will be different than having no mic at all. Sure, at home and at family gatherings, while practicing, or just playing for my own enjoyment I will almost always be (and prefer) unplugged, but there are nuances and requirements in different sound situations that may require amplification. My take is that if a situation requires amplification, I want it to be as natural sounding as possible (which is why I prefer the K&K Pure Mini). Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:56 PM

I voted electronics for the sake of honesty... but I do not need electronics as I used to believe I did. So no electronics anymore.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:29 PM

I already commented, but I wanted to offer a different perspective.
It's not really a "preference" poll, but one that reflects certain realities.
The poll although unscientific, reflects a couple of things. First of all and based on past experiences on here, I firmly believe there are a lot of respondents who do not perform as singers at gigs or even gig at all.
In that case, why would you want electronics? You wouldn't, so the poll is already skewed.
Secondly, as I already knew, the greater percentage of regular participants on this forum are finger-style guys. Some perform, but most don't.
Tell me if you think I'm wrong.
As I said, it isn't really as much about preference as it is about a need.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-13-2019, 02:58 PM

Since I do not gig, I have no need for electronics, and I must admit that I don't care for the idea of having a battery velcroed into my guitar. I keep it pure.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:52 PM

Acoustics with no electronics for me. I don’t play out and I have three electrics if I want to disturb the neighbors.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:32 PM

I have both types of acoustic guitars and an electric semi-hollow body. All depends on the situation, doesn't it?
Old 08-13-2019, 09:42 PM

Simple passive SBT's are minimally invasive. They will NOT affect the acoustic tone of your instrument. But if you want to plug in there are several outboard preamp/DI options. Or if you like you can still use a mic. A passive pickup gives you additional sonic options without taking any away.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

ME: But if GC doesn't offer a customer an equal choice, then all they're doing is purchasing what's hanging in the store.

I’m no longer in the market for a acoustic guitar, but when I was, it was disconcerting to find that if I chose a new J-45 it would come with under the saddle metal and wires inside? That kind of thing should come as an option, not on the J-45 Standard. The Martin Road Series (name has changed lately) is a good value but once again electronics included, so I payed 50% more to acquire a straight no added frills 000-15m.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:55 PM

I use my guitars at work and have never been one who could stay in front of a mic for the guitar. Absolutely have electronics in all my guitars, but if I didn't play for a living I'd possibly not have them there.

Everyone can make their own choices, and those are mine.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-14-2019, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I voted electronics for the sake of honesty... but I do not need electronics as I used to believe I did. So no electronics anymore.
?????????????
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 AM

Most of my guitars were built before the day of onboard electronics in the early 1950s. I do keep a bunch of Dearmonds around should I feel the need to plug in. An acoustic with a Dearmond 210 served as my first electric. While I at one time owned a Gibson CF-100E, the only one I have at present with a factory installed pickup is a 1956 Harmony H40 which has a Gibson P13 underneath the fingerboard extension.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Purely acoustic. (My Martin came with a Fishman sound hole pickup when I bought it second hand which I took off and is now lying in the case of the guitar).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion