The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: With or without electronics
Pure acoustic 131 59.28%
Gimme some electronics 90 40.72%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 PM

All of my acoustics don't any electronics. I do have a Fender Lace p/u that is used in the sound hole and installs in just seconds. I haven't use it a few years. I remember it sounding pretty good, but things have changed by today's standards
Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Some guitars like the GS Mini Koa and Faith blood moon comes with electronics, so I don’t really have a choice. But if there’s an option, then no electronics.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:16 PM

I don't gig so I don't need them...or want them. I buy guitars for the acoustic sound.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
What, no choice that says "it depends"?
I'm with Jayne in the pizza line.

My stage guitar is an acoustic/electric, and the other guitars share a passive humbucking soundhole pickup when it's necessary. But when I play house concerts, I greatly prefer un-amplified sound (via a dreadnought, usually.)

I love playing in jam situations where, if more noise is needed, more musicians are added. Always the best.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:28 PM

None of my guitars have electronics permanently installed.

I use a Baggs M-80 in the soundhole, with a custom-made Tapastring vintage jack mated to a 1/8" straight plug into the M-80.

The 1/8" plug fits through the existing endpin hole, so no drilling of the endpin is required I can install or uninstall in less than a minute, and when properly EQ'ed, it sounds about as good as anything else, other than a mic, of course. And the same rig fits all of my guitars.

Consequently, none of my old Gibsons have had to go "under the knife", but I can still use them in live performance.

When I play solo shows, I blend the M-80 with a Shure SM-57 mic to get the best of both.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 PM

I only have one acoustic electric guitar (and an amp) but I never play that guitar through an amp.
CEO-7
D-28 1952 Brazilian Rosewood
D-28SS Amazon Rosewood
D-21 Special
D-35 1969
D-18SS
D12-28
D12-35 50th Anniversary
Grand J12-16GTE
Pete Seeger 12-String Baritone
Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

a K&K goes in all mine except the Taylor that came with electronics.
Taylor Classical
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345
Fender P-Bass
Old 08-12-2019, 02:11 PM

I won't pay extra for electronics. The way I see it, many brands tend to make their acoustic/electric models overbuilt anyway; I prefer the ultra lightness of a pure acoustic.

That being said, at some point I invariably install a pickup but not anything invasive. I've put a K&K Pure Western mini in one acoustic and a JJB330 in another. I barely notice they're there until I need them.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 PM

I voted for electronics. Messing around with effects through a wireless system leaves me free to move about and play. Or, through my Vox headphone amplifier and earbuds I can walk around the house and get out of the music room, with effects. At an open mic I'm stage ready if the house has a system. I just bring my own voice mic.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM

My own preference when buying a guitar is for the instrument to have no factory-installed electronics, so that I can have the pickups of my choice added to them. I generally haven't been very impressed with the sound of most factory-installed pickups.

I do get pickups put into any guitar I might use onstage. The bulk of the playing in public that I've done in recent years has been at my weekly church gig, where we have a nice live room and plugging into the board or into an amp isn't necessary: area mics pick up the sound just fine.

But sometimes at church I'll plug in if I'm fingerpicking a quiet passage, and I sure like having the option. I played at a festival on Saturday where plugging in was essential - I wouldn't have been fully heard without it.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 PM

"Without" for me. The last three guitars and a pro grade ukulele that I have purchased have been sans electronics. But I don't gig out anymore so there is no need. If stage use comes up again, I still have several instruments that came with factory pickups, mostly Taylor ES1.3 or the earlier Fishman versions.

The ubiquitous Taylor ES2 is actually a major disincentive for me and I probably won't buy another new Taylor as a result. ES2 comes in all of them, unless you take a risk and custom order. (Their QC is superb, but guitars are still made of highly variable wood). I really like their guitars, but don't care for their latest pickup system. There are others that work better without all the fiddling around, IMO.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM

It would be tool for the job only considerations in my case...If no gigging in my life (which there is not) then no electronics, otherwise there would be...simple as that...

Having said this, I kinda like the simplicity and cleanliness of no electronics generally speaking...

Not that its a big deal anyway in the case of most members here...You all seem to have a thousand guitars anyway, so in practical terms there should be no issue with having both as needed
Old 08-12-2019, 04:47 PM

Ah! The Dark Arts! (acoustics with electronics).

I don't play anywhere currently, but I still carry the shame of past fails.

While in the past I have played gigs with a mic to some success, sometimes you may as well hit yourself on the head with the same guitar as it all goes wrong. So I voted 'For' electros...keeping in mind that after fooling around with all kinds to try and get a sound, it as become obvious to me of late that to really 'electrify' you need to go the whole hog shooting match and go for the jugular with the best live sound electros on offer. I have 3 Maton 808 size guitars of different woods, but the Maton AP5-pro pickup system is identical in every Maton. And while they are 'plug and play' I like to use some other gadgets to give me more options.

So if you are serious to gig, get the horse that suits and leave the lounge room guitar... in the lounge. (I have a houseful of these too! And all the pickups I have tried...).

BluesKing777.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:57 PM

A tip of the cap to all you folks who play for your own enjoyment and have no need for electronics. I wish I could be like that.
Me, I gotta' be in front of somebody displaying my lack of talent. Playing guitar with no audience just doesn't get me there. I know, it's very
Eastman E10 00 SS Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele

Location: Somewhere in a small town in North Central Ohio where men are still "free range" thinkers.
You figure it out.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Looked into buying a 2009 Martin Grand J12-40E Special without the factory D-Tar system.
I'm never going to use it and might save a few bucks right?
No can do.
Any variation from the production model would need to be ordered through the 'Custom' department - at a higher price.
So, same guitar minus the pick-up for more money.
Bit the bullet.
Guitar arrives and on day one I hear a 'clunk' sound come from the guitar as it's sitting on a stand.
The battery pack for the pick-up I didn't want and will never use has fallen off inside the guitar.
Requires removing all 12 strings to get your hand inside - original factory glue for velcro-to-guitar back has failed.
grrrr.

Still have the guitar - have never plugged it in.

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion