The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Sure he has made millions, he can fill stadiums and use a looper, but really the statement "he's not much of a guitar player" is perfectly valid.
I was only intending to bring to the discussion what I felt was the feeling about him among guitar players. Certainly he's been very successful and written some lyrics that have really connected with people. The best-loved music around the world often is not technically complex. Nothing wrong with it... people just want to hear a nice melody and a good story. You make a lot more money working to impress the general public vs trying to impress other musicians, no doubt.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
I was only intending to bring to the discussion what I felt was the feeling about him among guitar players. Certainly he's been very successful and written some lyrics that have really connected with people. The best-loved music around the world often is not technically complex. Nothing wrong with it... people just want to hear a nice melody and a good story. You make a lot more money working to impress the general public vs trying to impress other musicians, no doubt.

Exactly. But a lot of people who happen to perform popular music didn't set out to dumb-down their music for the masses. They wanted to make a musical connection with their audiences. And that can be done just as well by writing great, memorable songs that people can sing along with... as it can by playing something that dazzles them. I was a classical guitar major in college. I used to want to be impressed by musicianship. But as I grew older, I realized that most music/art is not designed to impress with technical brilliance and exclusivity... it's designed to connect people. And I respect that connection more and more. Years ago I was scoffing at the notion of attending a Jimmy Buffet concert to a friend (who'd been to one) and even though this guy know what real musical virtuosity is, he said he'd never been to a show where he witnessed such a "oneness". The massive crowd of thousands sang along with every word. Now that doesn't mean I've become a huge Jimmy Buffet fan (because I'm not, even though my wife is)… but I've come to respect the songwriter's ability to connect with so many people through music. There are places for musical virtuosity. And there are places and times for people to come together. And most non-musicians just aren't all that interested in virtuosity. They just want to be entertained and have a great time and make great memories.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Exactly. But a lot of people who happen to perform popular music didn't set out to dumb-down their music for the masses. They wanted to make a musical connection with their audiences. And that can be done just as well by writing great, memorable songs that people can sing along with... as it can by playing something that dazzles them. I was a classical guitar major in college. I used to want to be impressed by musicianship. But as I grew older, I realized that most music/art is not designed to impress with technical brilliance and exclusivity... it's designed to connect people. And I respect that connection more and more. Years ago I was scoffing at the notion of attending a Jimmy Buffet concert to a friend (who'd been to one) and even though this guy know what real musical virtuosity is, he said he'd never been to a show where he witnessed such a "oneness". The massive crowd of thousands sang along with every word. Now that doesn't mean I've become a huge Jimmy Buffet fan (because I'm not, even though my wife is)… but I've come to respect the songwriter's ability to connect with so many people through music. There are places for musical virtuosity. And there are places and times for people to come together. And most non-musicians just aren't all that interested in virtuosity. They just want to be entertained and have a great time and make great memories.
I don't disagree with any of this, he's a good entertainer, he draws a big crowd, he makes a lot of money, he knows how to employ a looper (something that I wouldn't even attempt), but I still wouldn't regard him as much of a guitar player.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 AM

What is the big deal with ed Sheeran. First time I saw him was a tribute to the Beatles I believe, he covered a Beatles song and his take on it sucked. Plus I hate when people have their hair messed up.

Ed
Old 06-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Certainly he's been very successful and written some lyrics that have really connected with people. The best-loved music around the world often is not technically complex. Nothing wrong with it... people just want to hear a nice melody and a good story.
Not to sound like a Sheeran fan boy, but I do think his guitar playing is being marginalized by the "guitar internet." Speaking as someone who played in a Rush tribute band and is now enjoying solo acoustic looping gigs- he is being underrated as a player. Is he Al Di Meola? No. But...

There's something special about learning to cover someone's song, right? You almost get a sense of getting inside their head (like reading a book from hundreds of years ago...) based on where they go with it, the patterns, the syncopation etc.

When I tackle some of his songs as covers and peel the layers back- there really is some brilliance in how the parts overlay and complement each other. Not to mention the technical challenge of playing, singing, adding and start/stopping loop sections for verses/choruses in some dynamic songs in real time. Limelight is a hell of a lot easier to play live than Bloodstream.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Some folks like chocolate, some prefer vanilla. It's still ice cream
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 06-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Not to sound like a Sheeran fan boy, but I do think his guitar playing is being marginalized by the "guitar internet." Speaking as someone who played in a Rush tribute band and is now enjoying solo acoustic looping gigs- he is being underrated as a player. Is he Al Di Meola? No. But...

There's something special about learning to cover someone's song, right? You almost get a sense of getting inside their head (like reading a book from hundreds of years ago...) based on where they go with it, the patterns, the syncopation etc.

When I tackle some of his songs as covers and peel the layers back- there really is some brilliance in how the parts overlay and complement each other. Not to mention the technical challenge of playing, singing, adding and start/stopping loop sections for verses/choruses in some dynamic songs in real time. Limelight is a hell of a lot easier to play live than Bloodstream.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Some folks like chocolate, some prefer vanilla. It's still ice cream
But, more on point- WHERE ARE THE **** SHEERAN GUITARS?
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
But, more on point- WHERE ARE THE **** SHEERAN GUITARS?

Are they so desirable? I saw one in a pawn shop but couldn't imagine paying $300+ for it. Admittedly I don't know anything about the person or the instrument...
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneidan View Post
Are they so desirable? I saw one in a pawn shop but couldn't imagine paying $300+ for it. Admittedly I don't know anything about the person or the instrument...
This thread is about the new Sheeran guitars being made by Lowden, not the cheapo Martin ones.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:45 PM

Why doesn't somebody who is actually interested in the Sheeran guitars email George Lowden and ask him where they are?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Why doesn't somebody who is actually interested in the Sheeran guitars email George Lowden and ask him where they are?
i've done so. email and twitter. no reply from either.
i guess patience is a virtue, but i believe that impatience is, too.
😆
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 PM

My guess is, they've finally realised they can't make them for those prices and are wondering what to do next.
I have tried to enter a funny face here but can't get it to work.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

My experience is that they respond to a phone-call far better than they respond to emails. I’m not interested in one of the Sheeran models but, if I was, I’d get on the horn to them...

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

My bet is that Lowden folks were thirsty and opened the fire hydrant for a sip of water.....

Imagine being a small production shop with an established and trained crafts group. You then announce a new line of guitars and the whole world orders many more of them than you ever dreamed..

"Holy Crap, how do we ramp up production that fast without a years-long backlog?"

"We have to buy more machinery and hire and train more people in 2 months!"

"How do we uphold our current branded guitar production while launching these new ones at an alarming rate??"

Kind of like what happens when a dog actually catches a mountain lion...now what??

I hope they didn't bite off more than that could handle. Perhaps some communication from Lowden to their dealers would help in mediating speculation like this.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 AM

Lowden Guitars just answered on Facebook:

"We are working hard to deliver the first models as soon as possible. First deliveries to Europe will be spread across late July/August."
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-24-2019, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageom View Post
My bet is that Lowden folks were thirsty and opened the fire hydrant for a sip of water.....

Imagine being a small production shop with an established and trained crafts group. You then announce a new line of guitars and the whole world orders many more of them than you ever dreamed..

"Holy Crap, how do we ramp up production that fast without a years-long backlog?"

"We have to buy more machinery and hire and train more people in 2 months!"

"How do we uphold our current branded guitar production while launching these new ones at an alarming rate??"

Kind of like what happens when a dog actually catches a mountain lion...now what??

I hope they didn't bite off more than that could handle. Perhaps some communication from Lowden to their dealers would help in mediating speculation like this.
They announced some time ago that the ‘Sheeran’ range is to be made in a new factory, separate from their small ‘Lowden’ workshop. I’ve read elsewhere that the task of setting up the factory has taken longer than anticipated, hence the delay.

It’s also possible that they under-estimated the interest that would be generated by the new range.

Whatever the reason for the delay, supply of the new model isn’t likely to be speeded up by people like us bellyaching on an Internet forum! As my mum used to tell me when I was impatient - if something’s worth having, it’s worth waiting for!

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion