The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
So I realize I'm an irrational idiot about this, but when I got another Martin a few years ago (a much less valuable but really nice 000-15M), I knew about this stuff and I worried about it and felt obligated to take much better care of it. And it was a huge relief to get an Emerald, love it, sell the Martin, and just not have to think about it again.
That made me chuckle a bit, no way you are an "irrational idiot" LOL it all sounds well thought out with a lot of common sense to me. I appreciate the detailed answer to my question. It all makes perfect sense. I love the wood, and the CF. The X7 gets the most play, so what else needs to be said. In photography they say the best camera is the one you have at the time you need it, kinda the same with a guitar I think. Enjoy.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

An in-coming carbon fiber day for me today. It will be replacing a wood model that has seen better days. At Joan's insistence, I went for a folding model with a flame embellishment. She likes the style. I like the light weight (especially compared to the wood model it replaces) and the comfort.

I had to add some Gorilla Glue to the wood one this past week; there should be no fussing with this new CF model.

I don't notice much difference in tone.

I do think the flames will give me more speed.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 PM

I ebay'ed my H-DR1100N2 after converting to 12 fret RainSongs. All this talk about most wood like acoustics and RP's advert for his H-DR and I bought it over the weekend. He'll be shipping it today.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Guest 928

I like Jim's question, which wood guitars sound the most carbon fibery?

It's a difficult question because both wood and CF instruments have an incredible and overlapping range. Seems to me to be a wash.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Well what's the point of this whole CF subforum then? We might as well sell off all of our CF guitars since we "overthink" this.

Joking aside there is so much truth to all of this. My father-in-law has a Conn 12 string (I think it's a 1970-ish) that he never humidifies. We live in Colorado where the winter can get down to <15RH at times. Not a crack or neck reset. I know of others who started playing before people wore helmets for bicycle riding and when cars didn't have seat belts, and they too have guitars that have never been humidified aside from what mother nature gives them. No cracks and no issues.

Having said all that- I personally love CF and I'm considering going all out. We are open-minded but not so much that our brains fall out. These guitars still better sound good- real good if you want thousands and hundreds of dollars for them. But we buy them because they really do sound good. Never mind that we can go anywhere with them worry-free.

So, what's the woodiest? My vote goes to the OF660, the CA Cargo and the McPherson Sable.

Last edited by steelvibe; 05-31-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM

Love my McPhereson carbon touring travel guitar. Great sound and sustain, compares very favorably with my Taylor 814ce. Love them both
Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I have two significant acoustic guitars. One is a 1963 Martin 0-16NY that I have owned for 35 years. The other is a 2018 Emerald X20 which I’ve owned for 7 months.

To my ears, they both just sound like really fine guitars. I don’t think of them in terms of ‘wood’ or ‘CF’, and would be hard-pressed to attribute the sound characteristics of either of them to the particular material they are made from.

I don’t understand what sounding ‘woody’ means, any more than I believe that there’s a particular ‘CF’ sound. Goodness only knows that there’s endless debate on the wooden side of the house about the difference between species, and more than substantial evidence that the builder has far more influence on the sound of an instrument than what it’s made of.

In short, I think it’s really a waste of time to pursue this. Let your ears be the judge, and stop chasing things you *think* you want.

Now, back to choosing Emerald #2
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

Eatswodo;

Good choosing to you!
Old 05-31-2019, 02:01 PM

RP's H-DR1100N2 showed up yesterday. I paid him a bit more than I got selling mine two years ago on eBay. When I initially went RainSong 12 fret I went all in and I'm glad an H-DR is back. With 12s it is really loud and has a nice bass thump. I don't plan to gig with it as even for "pure acoustic" gigs I use a Katana Mini and my CH-PA. I like those light strings for our repertoire but I rehearsed yesterday with the H-DR and it really pumps out a powerful acoustic lead. I might bite the bullet and use it... For its intended purpose playing at home on the back porch, it can punch above the various nature noises and ever present lawn mowers.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber