The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 PM

Fortunately for me, since I am NOT a flat picker, the only pick I need is the old tried and true, standard Fender medium. I have been happy with it for years. I'm more of a Travis picker anyway.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
...In keeping with my theory that all picks come with "some assembly required", pulled out the files and buffers and went at it. ...
I just bought a tru shell pick and I'm liking the feel and tone out of the box, but I'd like try putting a speed bevel on one of the tips.

You referred to files and buffers... Can you (or other forum members) advise me on what tools I should use?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saullacoursiere View Post
I just bought a tru shell pick and I'm liking the feel and tone out of the box, but I'd like try putting a speed bevel on one of the tips.

You referred to files and buffers... Can you (or other forum members) advise me on what tools I should use?
There are some folks on here that take beveling to an art form, so they'll break out Dremels and polishing cloths, etc. Personally I can get a bevel I really like with a couple of sheets of sandpaper. I'll use a coarse grit to cut the bevel into the pick and then go back with something pretty fine like 1000 grit and polish it out smooth. Another good thing to use if you're not beveling a bunch is a two sided Emory file. Use the coarse side for shaping and the buffing side for smoothing things out.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-29-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Here's a thread from a few years ago on how to do it.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=359386
Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the tips. Just what I was looking for. I'm going to start simple and we'll see where I end up. I'll try to post before and after picks.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Goat Whiskey Picks;5620301]There are some folks on here that take beveling to an art form, so they'll break out Dremels and polishing cloths, etc. Personally I can get a bevel I really like with a couple of sheets of sandpaper. I'll use a coarse grit to cut the bevel into the pick and then go back with something pretty fine like 1000 grit and polish it out smooth. Another good thing to use if you're not beveling a bunch is a two sided Emory file. Use the coarse side for shaping and the buffing side for smoothing things out.[/QUOTE

I do NOT recommend a Dremel, ever, in beveling. These things rotate at 5000-12,000, and the finest sanding drum I've seen from them is about 220 grit. Wanna ruin a pick in about two seconds? Go for it.

As Mick states here, black wet-n-dry sandpaper is the safe and prudent way to go. I believe HHP does use a Dremel, but let's remember that he's been doing this for many years and is very proficient at it.

Just My Two Cents. I hate seeing anyone ruin a nice pick. It makes my skin crawl.

scott memmer
Old 01-29-2018, 12:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Another option, folks, is the Clayton line made from the same material (bought from the same supplier -- even the same colors!)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/clayton-nutone-standard-protein-guitar-pick/h77656000001000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=Cjw KCAiAqbvTBRAPEiwANEkyCIzs-yzE-JUyktsHtNbLst8ARVO3zgfiER6yPlqg4gtnxYRCRT8v1xoCZYE QAvD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295803-device^c-plaid^323968368423-sku^H77656000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA#productDetail

Forgive me, but I find the note on Fenders annoying as hell: "Color selection is random and colors will vary." Really. Also, Clayton gives you the actual thickness in mm's, while Fender uses their old "thin, medium, heavy" designations.

Hope this helps.

scott
Old 01-29-2018, 12:48 PM

I don't own a dremel, so I'll be relegated to the hand method for the time being.

Thanks for the Clayton recommendation, I've never tried one of their picks. I'm new to the caring about picks circle, but now that I do, I'm finding they really do make quite a difference. I'll try a Clayton eventually.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Do check them out. Maybe it's vanity, but I like being able to choose my own colors.

In case you didn't know about them, also check out the excellent casein models from Jon Pearse as well. These are buffed out to a glossy shine, so you'll get a better release off the strings. Also made from casein, in a gorgeous faux tortoise shell finish. And frankly, they are selling them too cheap:

http://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm

People are always saying to me, "Geez, Memmer, why are you always recommending other people's products?" Well, why not? I still own and play these products and they're good products. And it's my job to know what else is out there. Almost every day I will recommend Dunlop, Blue Chip, Wegen, etc. Why not?

sm
Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Incidentally, I just bought a JP fast turtle 1.2mm at the same time as the tru shell. While the feel/action is very nice out of the box, the tone is warmer/darker to my ear than the tru shell. I like the tone of the tru shell better. I plan to bevel both and retest.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Incidentally, I just bought a JP fast turtle 1.2mm at the same time as the tru shell. While the feel/action is very nice out of the box, the tone is warmer/darker to my ear than the tru shell. I like the tone of the tru shell better. I plan to bevel both and retest.
The offset point on the JP's drove me insane. Really silly that they don't make one in standard 351 shape. Downright bizarre. But good luck convincing a German he's wrong

sm
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I've worked with the JP Fast Turtles a lot, mostly in 2.5mm and 4mm. With a full edge speed bevel, they transform from quiet/warm/dull to very loud, clear, and articulate. To date, by far the best pick I've found is the modified 4mm John Pearse. Superior in all respects to anything else I've tried, regardless of price.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I've worked with the JP Fast Turtles a lot, mostly in 2.5mm and 4mm. With a full edge speed bevel, they transform from quiet/warm/dull to very loud, clear, and articulate. To date, by far the best pick I've found is the modified 4mm John Pearse. Superior in all respects to anything else I've tried, regardless of price.

If anyone ever wants to hear first hand what beveling a pick will do for tone, buy two D’Andrea Pro Plec picks and bevel one of them. Then compare the two. It’ll be night and day.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

HHP (or anyone else who has the Heavy and Extra heavys) - Is there any way that you could advise what the thicknesses are ?
Thanks.

I love my BCs but I'm really getting into putting my own style of bevels, mainly on Dunlop Tortex 346 1.14m/m picks.

As it rained solidly last Saturday I set myself a task of refinishing a load of these picks and whilst messing up a couple, got into the swing of things and found that I could finish all six edges in about 15-20 minutes each pick.

Drilling the holes took a little longer and I did them in a kind of assembly line way.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
... Just what I need ... another pick to ignore because it costs over 50 cents? Yawn-O-Rama!

... and with a deceptive name "True-anything" let alone "True-Shell" for the masses who have abandoned critical thinking.

What pick name is next, "Mock Turtle Pick"?
Yep,comes with Taylor's new "V-bracing" helps keep your guitar intonated properly.

Oops, did I say that out loud.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion