The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 04:47 PM

J45
Hummingbird
J15

All three are awesome, have their own thing and it's a good thing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-13-2017, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Default My Favourite Gibsons ?

Well,sadly I don't own any of these but these would be the Gibson designs I most admire :

1. Early L-5 16" - THE first and the ultimate (for me).

2. Roy Smeck, Stage Deluxe (BIIG, Deep, and converted from Hawaiian)

3. L-1 - Nick Lucas (Small, very short scale, beautifully balanced)

Three quite different designs, intended for very different purposes, but each superb in its own way.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Default This one...L-200 Emmy Lou Harris signature model

Old 03-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

J-45 Standard and Songwriter Deluxe Studio. Both fantastic guitars...but gone now only because I'm done with dreads and all in on smaller body guitars.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Modern:
-Jackson Browne (Smeck) Signature Model
-J45 Legend
-Advanced Jumbo (Red Spruce)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Songbird Deluxe
J-45
CJ-165
Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Gibson's acoustic reputation started off as being the builder of the "workhorse"; a quality working musicians instrument with function over flash/cosmetic appeal. Originally priced to be much less expensive than Martin's popular models of the day, over the years Gibson has done a lot of catching up in the price department but they still have a few gems on the used guitar market that carry the value spirit of the brand. My favorites tend to be in this category.

Gibson WM-45

What is it?:
From 1998 to 2005 Gibson Montana produced a no-frills series of acoustics they called the Working Man's series. The most popular of the three models produced was the WM-45. The body shape, construction techniques, materials, bracing pattern and tone woods were identical to the J-45/J-50 produced at that time period (for tone woods: solid African Mahogany back and sides, solid Sitka Spruce top).

The only differences were some cost cutting steps with the cosmetics which enabled Gibson to produce and sell this model for several hundred less than the mainstream J-50. Specific differences: fret-board material and bridge were made of Morado instead of Rosewood. The body had black binding and the bridge was positioned belly down (arguably the way it should be . On models produced prior to 2000, the top, back and sides were all Satin finish. Models produced from 2000-2005 feature Nitro gloss top (natural finish) with Satin back and sides. Oddly enough, Although not well loved, Gibson decided to put full size Gold Grover Rotomatic tuners on this model, the Gold Grovers were an upgrade (price wise) over the standard Chrome Grover Rotomatics on the J-45/J-50.

Why I like it:
Although these appear to be going up a bit in price, not so long ago you could pick them up used for $750-$900. Today the average price seems to be a few hundred more than I'm seeing used J-15's going for on reverb. Still a very good deal considering what they are and since they aren't so common there could be more wiggle room on the price with the right seller.

After reading many positive comments here on AGF regarding the WM-45, I began a hunt last year which eventually led to me buying one on-line. With a bit of maintenance (fret-filing, basic setup, new pickup) the guitar has become my #1. It has a thick punchy mid-range, a tone I would pit against any modern J-45. In fact a buddy recent purchased a J-45 Limited model that he brought over to show off. After spending just a few minutes on his guitar, I just wanted my WM-45 back. We both ended up agreeing the WM-45 just sounded better.

Gibson B25 and B25 12-string

What is it?:
Gibson's now long discontinued, smaller bodied slope shoulder replacement to the LG-2.

Why I like it:?
No specific reason, just think these are really cool smaller guitars. To me the late 1950's - early 1960s were a special time for Gibson acoustics. When I think of that era I think of players like James Taylor, Lightning Hopkins and Bob Dylan. Granted none of those players made the B-25 popular, but for those on a budget looking to own a vintage Gibson from that era, the B-25 is a great choice. I've seen these go for just a little over a grand in "very good" condition. There's also a very cool 12-string edition if you're looking for a bit of a unique odd ball 12-string guitar. I've yet to own a B-25 but plan to add a 12-string model to my collection in the coming years.

Gibson J-15

What is it?:
An all American made all solid wood Gibson short-scale, slope shoulder that can be had for around $1300 new street. Featuring the same bracing pattern as the J-45, beautiful Walnut back and sides

Why I like it:
The J-15 is an American made, all solid wood Gibson acoustic for about $100 less than the nearest competition (Martin D16, Taylor 312) I believe the J-15 is the best value in all solid wood, American made acoustics.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 03-13-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

J50, LG2 American Eagle, Hummingbird..... love them.

J50 does it all. Not too big. Balanced. Strummer. Blues. fingerpick. growl.

LG2-AE might be the most versatile big sounding small guitar ever made.

Humingbird... the stones. You know.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:55 PM

J-45 for tone and wonderful ergonomics.

Lately, I've become increasingly taken with my square shoulder "bird" Gibsons, Hummingbird and Dove. They each have a very rich midrange, quite warm.

My birds are custom shop one offs, Hummingbird is Sitka on Koa with more bling than I used to think was possible and the Dove is Sitka on Acacia with almost as much ornamentation.

Last edited by eljay; 03-13-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
My birds are custom shop one offs, Hummingbird is Sitka on Koa with more bling than I used to think was possible and the Dove is Sitka on Acacia with almost as much ornamentation.

I think you need to post some photos showing the BACKS of these guitars, too, given that one is koa and the other acacia.

Please?

whm
Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 AM

Default I

My first would me the Gibson J45 , great all rounder
Second , Gibson J50 . I'm a big Ralph McTell fan
Third , Gibson Hummingbird . The very first Gibson guitar I played and the start of the love affair
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-14-2017, 12:10 AM

Dove-my first love...sigh..
B45 12 string-love the sound of that thing
J45 (square-shouldered model)-I know they get a lot of hate, but I had one and loved it...
Honorable Mention-J200 (it would be up there, I'm sure, but I've never owned one)
Old 03-14-2017, 12:14 AM

J45 Custom

ES 175

J 185
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-14-2017, 06:21 AM

J-35 2016. My first Gibson acoustic

J-45 True Vintage. Played while shopping for acoustic. Great guitar but out of my price range.

Jackson Browne Signature. My favourite guitar that I have ever played or even touched. It was a Spinal Tap moment (Don't even look at it). Luckily being 50 and well dressed, music store brought it down and let me play it. If anyone will buy a kidney from me, it will be mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 06:49 AM

J-35
Advanced Jumbo
Mid-30s L-00 I once had and stupidly sold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion