The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Lots of good advice given by various people which deserves careful consideration.
Doug Young says to use Audition. I agree with him.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Believe me, dealing with Sonar is like driving down a street and you hit every red light. Audition is like driving down the same street and hitting every green light.
Yes but believe it or not and in this case, it's you who's tripping the red lights
Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM

I assume you bought Sonar, are you just going to give up on it now?
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM

I bought Audition first, then bought Sonar because it does midi recording and Audition does not. Audition has a professional look to it, Sonar looks more like a toy. Having both programs gives me lots of audio tools to work with, that's why I have both. Right now though, I'm doing mostly audio recording and not midi.

I looked at Pro Tools but had problems with it. Audition has been a dream to work with.

I also bought the Lifetime Update package that Sonar now offers. So Yes I am committed to Sonar, but more for midi work.

Adobe has updated Audition from the CS6 version I have, but it's only available for $30 bucks a month and is geared more towards professional media houses, than home studios.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 09-13-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM

Another thing about Sonar...with their new update program they mentioned in just the first few months, they implemented 1,000 bug fixes and updates.

What does that tell me ?? It must be a very buggy program.

Sorry, but the workflow is better in Audition.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-13-2016, 04:04 PM

Using the hands-off settings, I gave AAMS a shot using a wav I'd mixed in Audacity several years ago. That might affect the outcome, but I'm not sure it's done a whole lot. It probably takes an ear that actually knows what to look for, but I'm not sure but I like the original better. It seems less harsh.

Regarding volume, unlike your samples, it was very slightly increased in AAMS output. For a closer comparison, I used MP3Gain to get the two close to the same.

The Original

AAMS
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 09-13-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:11 PM

Paul, I liked the mastered version better. The low end of the original sounds a little boomy on my speakers. The mastered version took that away. The mastered version sounds a little compressed to me, which is good, sounds more professional, sort like a James Taylor tune. I would definitely get rid of the metronome /percussion sound in the background and go for a guitar/vocal only sound. I listened to both versions all the way thru and partly a couple of times. Very nice playing and singing by the way.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug Young says to use Audition. I agree with him.

Martin, no intent to claim that Audition is "better", but it is quite a bit simpler than Sonar, and you seem to be struggling with the extra complexity (which can be substantial in any serious DAW, whether it's Sonar, or Logic, or Pro Tools). Audition works fine, and is more streamlined for simple recording - it started life as a simple 2-track audio editor. It has some cool features for editing and analysis. Being both the artist and the recording engineer is a big challenge, you don't want all the mechanics of the process to get in the way of making the music. Either you have to really learn how your gear works, and understand the underlying flow - which Joseph is trying to help you with - or you can simplify things so it all goes away.

Frankly for what most people, including me, do, something like a Zoom recorder is more that sufficient. One button - push it and start playing! Just get the technology out of the way so you can make music. In any case, my suggestion is to get all the complex stuff out of the way, one way or another, until you find yourself interested enough, or with enough time to learn a more complex DAW. But I'm sure Sonar is an excellent recording system, for anyone who takes the time to learn it. Its just that you may not need all it offers.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:51 PM

I started with Audition back when it was Cool Edit, and have upgraded every version up to CS6. I got interested in Sonar when I wanted to record midi and work with sound sample programs. Both programs have their strong points. I have Sonar Platinum with the Lifetime Updates. So I'm not giving up on Sonar, but want to use Audition for audio recording. I don't know enough about the Zoom player to comment, but I don't think it's capable of doing multi-track recordings.

I can fly thru Sonar and Audition. My beef with Sonar is their mixer...I was depending on it to deliver quality sound files and got burned with low volume levels. Audition's mixer seems to be just fine. It's also much easier to burn to a disc, export a MP3 File or .wav file in Audition. In Sonar it's like pulling teeth. So I'll be working in Audition for the foreseeable future, until I want to get back into Midi recordings again.

This decision is based on the many many sound tests I made with all my mics and both programs over the last few months. My best results are with Audition, Neumann TLM 102 mics, the Shure SM7b mic, and my new Yamaha HS8 monitors.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Paul, I liked the mastered version better. The low end of the original sounds a little boomy on my speakers. The mastered version took that away. The mastered version sounds a little compressed to me, which is good, sounds more professional, sort like a James Taylor tune. I would definitely get rid of the metronome /percussion sound in the background and go for a guitar/vocal only sound. I listened to both versions all the way thru and partly a couple of times. Very nice playing and singing by the way.
I'll have to listen to the two versions again and see if the mastered one grows on me. Regarding the metronome percussion, the original was recorded years ago when I was first fooling around with recording and I've since simplified things to just guitar and vocals, especially since I mostly post to Youtube now and record live using my Zoom Q3.

And thanks for the kind words about my playing.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Using the hands-off settings, I gave AAMS a shot using a wav I'd mixed in Audacity several years ago. That might affect the outcome, but I'm not sure it's done a whole lot. It probably takes an ear that actually knows what to look for, but I'm not sure but I like the original better. It seems less harsh.

Regarding volume, unlike your samples, it was very slightly increased in AAMS output. For a closer comparison, I used MP3Gain to get the two close to the same.

The Original

AAMS
The main difference in the AAMS compared to the original is about a 3 decibel cut centered around the 125 hertz frequency in the AAMS clip.
That's more detailed than I thought they would do. Whether that is some generalization they use or whether there is the use of some more
sophisticated algorithms I don't know.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM

LANDR-online mastering service. I just tried mastering a track with it...it's a service I found out about thru Cakewalk.......on this particular track the AAMS mastering didn't sound good at all. The LANDR mastered track sounds much better. Of course I had to dumb it down a little to 128 bpps for SoundClick, but still sounds okay...you can hear it here....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Well I signed up for the LANDR basic service which will master unlimited files for a year to 192 mp3's. They sent me a 15% discount coupon so I got the plan for $40.80 for the year....One mastered song and it'll pay for itself.

Here's a second track I mastered with LANDR which came out pretty good....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Here's a 3rd track mastered by LANDR....

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Well I signed up for the LANDR basic service which will master unlimited files for a year to 192 mp3's. They sent me a 15% discount coupon so I got the plan for $40.80 for the year....One mastered song and it'll pay for itself.

Here's a second track I mastered with LANDR which came out pretty good....

Don't know about Landr but this blues tune sounds excessively sibilant and not very well balanced.

When you say you "mastered" the track, what exactly did you do?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 09-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD