The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I've seen it done very nicely with a 335-style guitar, as well as a Tele. I've got a couple of electrics with Piezo pickups, and can split the signal to two amps, one more of an acoustic nature, if you like. I saw another guy use a whole backing track setup rigged through an iPad, and had a wireless connection on a Strat. He had that running through a Bose PA, and he was awesome. There's a lot you can do with one electric for a gig, if you have the right gear along with you, from simple to complex.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM

I just did a 1 hour show using my Tele and Twin Reverb. I stayed primarily on the neck pickup and also sang through the twin! I found that using input #2 for both guitar and vocals really smooths out the sound.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Hearing Bill Kirchen perform The Times they are a Changin' just him with his telecaster at the Fur Peace Ranch last August was one of the most incredibly electrifying experiences of my long life.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:45 AM

Seasick Steve uses home made electrics with his stomp foot box and or drummers. It works with slide. I still am hesitant to bring mine again for a solo gig with vocals. I need that bass hit off the acoustic.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 AM

Default Acoustic I can do nice solo's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I use a hybrid Yamaha AEX500, blended piezo and mini humbucker, thru a Zoom G3 effects unit. Clean Fender amp modeling sound straight to pa. Think Creedence Down on the Corner sound. Is it acoustic? No, but it's a good, usable sound that goes good with vocal. Its taken me a long time and a lot of knob dialing to get there, but it goes over well, and I've gotten some nice comments about the sound. After 1 six hour gig and 3 four hour gigs in the last 4 days, the electric strings are a lot easier on the hands too.
I think I've saved a link to that guitar. I used to be a lead guitarist and now am flirting with being a solo (dude with acoustic) but I end up completely skipping the solo sections of some songs because as you all know, often the rhythm drops right out when you go to the solo. I try to make up some double stop stuff, partial ascending and descending stuff with open string pedal points, stuff like that, but I can't really "grind in" like with my Tele. I especially would like access to the higher frequencies only possible with the cutaway ... could this Yamaha be the answer? Decent enough acoustic with the flexibility and easy action to hit the solos?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:50 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04IQXfQEkC8
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-24-2019, 11:19 AM

I do it regularly, but only for short, 1 hour gigs. I take & play 2 guitars, one in open G for Blues slide and one in E standard. I have no problem pulling it off for a short duration like this.

In a duo situation with my wife on bass and vocals we usually do 1.5 hours of a 3 hour gig electric - the rest acoustic.

I don't feel it would work solo for 2-3 hours - at least not for me, not yet I ain't no Eric Gales, that's for sure.

I think crowds enjoy hearing both in different sets and the change in sound and dynamics it creates. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM

I've been playing the first set of my three hours solo gigs with this Gretsch 6120T '55 VS plugged into the same pedal board as my acoustic (Tapestry Bloomery Vol, Wazacraft Tuner, Grace Alix, Keeley Delay Workstation)...

I think people really like it.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM

I've seen it done a multitude of times by various artists and it works beautifully. (Clean sound at suitable volumes).
Old 04-24-2019, 10:25 PM

I'm obsessed with this version. It's brilliant. It's a beautiful heartfelt tribute to Prince, but there's also so much of David shining through as well. So much soul.

It's public, so I don't think you need to have Facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153462469555286
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've been playing the first set of my three hours solo gigs with this Gretsch 6120T '55 VS plugged into the same pedal board as my acoustic (Tapestry Bloomery Vol, Wazacraft Tuner, Grace Alix, Keeley Delay Workstation)...

I think people really like it.
Again, as someone who thinks he no longer has GAS, could you please stop posting pictures of this particular guitar.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I'm obsessed with this version. It's brilliant. It's a beautiful heartfelt tribute to Prince, but there's also so much of David shining through as well. So much soul.

It's public, so I don't think you need to have Facebook to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153462469555286
Yep, that's awesome sauce right there!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 AM

I wish I was talented enough to do that!
Tuck Andress and his wife Patti came to mind when I thought about solo guitar and voice...
Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
I think I've saved a link to that guitar. I used to be a lead guitarist and now am flirting with being a solo (dude with acoustic) but I end up completely skipping the solo sections of some songs because as you all know, often the rhythm drops right out when you go to the solo. I try to make up some double stop stuff, partial ascending and descending stuff with open string pedal points, stuff like that, but I can't really "grind in" like with my Tele. I especially would like access to the higher frequencies only possible with the cutaway ... could this Yamaha be the answer? Decent enough acoustic with the flexibility and easy action to hit the solos?
The Yamaha AEX500 has an old, quacky piezo with 3 band eq. It has a volume control and a blend control. By blending with the mini humbucker neck pickup you can warm it up. I use a looper for a rhythm track and for solos I push the onboard mid control for a boost.
The action is set like a flat top acoustic at the saddle, and it has a bolt on neck.

Cool hybrid guitar, same kind of idea as a Taylor T5.

Last edited by jricc; 04-25-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Again, as someone who thinks he no longer has GAS, could you please stop posting pictures of this particular guitar.
I do what I can to feed the beast!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars