The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Orkney tuning

I'm getting knee deep in arrangements by Stephen Wake and others. Sometimes I write a few things of my own in this tuning as well, although right now inspiration in this tuning comes in spurts, unlike dadgad which I could write something in everyday if I had the time.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I’ve taken some workshops with Steve Baughman on Orkney and it is a beautiful tuning. Love some of the tunes that Martin Simpson has written in it as well though he calls it Gsus4/4. [emoji3] I look forward to hearing one of your tunes in that tuning, Barry.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I’ve taken some workshops with Steve Baughman on Orkney and it is a beautiful tuning. Love some of the tunes that Martin Simpson has written in it as well though he calls it Gsus4/4. [emoji3] I look forward to hearing one of your tunes in that tuning, Barry.

Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne.

I'd like to try some of Steve Baughman's arrangements. That video that Doug Young posted a little while ago got my attention.

I keep forgetting to check out Martin Simpson's work, thanks for the reminder.

Here's my first tune that I've written in quite a while in CGDGCD. It might need a touch more melody, but that's easier said than done sometimes

Touched By Light

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Barry, it may help (or not...) to recognize that Orkney is just DADGAD moved over one string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write