The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar

Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Hank,

Was there any issue with putting the Waverly banjo tuners on your guitar? Did you get them from StewMac or Holloway?
Does the pup system have a different output for the bass strings? What are you running it through?
FWIW I changed my bass strings based on a note that Scott and Gregg sent. I was having trouble with the banjo tuners holding pitch on the bass strings, so I went for the lighter set. Perhaps with a little more adjustment on the tuners they would have worked with the original strings. Either way the guitar is holding pitch now.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:16 AM

I have a Model 4 for about a month now. The best guitar purchase that I've ever made. It actually sent me into major Harp GAS. But, I ended up with a 1909 Maurer, a 1906 Knutsen and the Grand Old Man of them all a 1910ish Dyer . All four of these guitars, for me, jump all over every guitar that I've ever touched. I'm keeping the Holloway as my "first Harp" and will play it often. As a matter of fact after I play one of the "elders" I have no problem picking up the Holloway and feeling completely satisfied with it as well.

Last edited by avantgarde; 02-17-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Tele:

No problem with installing the Waverly banjo tuners, it was really easy to do. I did reuse the original washers from the guitar, since the Waverly's came with a slightly smaller washer. I bought the tuners from Stew Mac and they work very well.

Hank
Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM

I too like the sound that Stephen Bennett gets on the harp guitar. For a good example, listen to "Perestroika"! The late Michael Hedges also did some nice tunes. I don't have it on MP3 but somewhere I have a Will Ackerman / Michael Hedges DVD from Red Rocks where MH displays his harp guitar skills.

Karen
Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Tele,

My guitar has a dual K&K mini system wired stereo with a single output jack. You can also also use 2 PUPs with two jacks. I know Scott at Holloway has wired them various ways. The stereo output requires you to use a stereo cord into a stereo channel or a "Y" cord into two channels.

I use a Raven Blender that has a stereo input with my Daedalus rig. I also have a 2 channel 60 watt AER that will work with a "Y" cord.

The Daedalus of course sounds much better for the sub basses.

Hank
Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Hey Doug, will you be doing any local performances with your harp guitar? Would love to see you play live.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Harp Guitar